SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Dining room chair suggestions needed

oceanna
15 years ago

My old dining room chairs are looking pretty shabby and they need work. But I don't think they go good with my other furniture, do you? I've been looking in CL but I don't have a picture in my mind of what style of chair would look good there. Can you make suggestions, please?

Comments (31)

• les917
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the chairs are nice, but too modern and sleek for the look of the table and cabinet that are there.

The cabinet has an almost spanish/medieval feel to it. What about something like this?

kathy ireland lafayette park

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I think the chairs can work but needs a darker color and new fabric on the seats. From the picture, it looks like the front legs on the chairs have balls which works with the legs of the table. I like the fact that they are plain while the buffet is more elaborate.

I would spend the money on a great elaborate chandelier to tie in the spanish/medieval buffet with the plain lines of the dining set. Your room can be very interesting.

• Related Discussions

Need help with dining room/dining chairs, please! Lots of pics!

Q

Comments (13)
    Don't write off fabric just yet. You could use microsuede, Crypton, or any of the newer indoor/outdoor fabrics available now. My DD chucked a whole bowl of tomato soup on one of my pale blue microsuede chairs and I swear it cleaned up perfectly. I think softer lines, and fabric, would bring some balance to the angularity of your room. I love the artwork and might think about pulling some color from the painting next to the stairs into said fabric. I know and love your kitchen from the KB. Nice to see you over here. looking forward to seeing more! :-)
    ...See More

Dining room chair suggestions please

Q

Comments (10)
    You can go so many ways with that table.. and by so many, I mean sooooo many... ;) Any of the better stores in your area should allow you to purchase chairs on approval, meaning you can try out a number of chairs at home and return the ones you don't like. You may need to secure the arrangement with a deposit, but it could be worth it to see what works the best with the table and your style. Any better stores should do that for you, and you can work with their in-house designer. You can go any number of ways with that table... industrial, rustic, transitional, modern... You have a lot of flexibility with that piece.
    ...See More

Dining room suggestions, rug, fabric chairs, wall decor?

Q

Comments (1)
    Please post photos of the space you're working with.
    ...See More

Dining room rug suggestions where chairs can still slide

Q

Comments (9)
    turn the chair upside down. Dig off the plastic slide WITH A FLAT HEAD SCREW DRIVER. Replace with stick on felt circle pads, readily available at Bed Bath Beyond, your local hardware store, or Amazon. No scratches.............NONE. PRESTO AND DONE. NO CHAIR WILL "SLIDE" ON ANY RUG. Any rug, will be a decorative grounding accent. People routinely "manage" to get in an out of chairs on a rug. It's two different issues, really. If you WANT a rug? Don't replace the plastic sliders on the chair legs.
    ...See More
  • sc_irish
    15 years ago

Would just changing out the seat covers give you a brighter - more current - look? Might be worth a try ~ just the investment of a yard or two of fabric and super-simple to do. Then, even if you don't like the finished look (while you're still looking for new chairs) at least when you list these on CL, they'd sell quicker. Just a thought.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I like the chairs with the other items. I would not get 'matchy-matchy' chairs as all that intricate carving would jumble the room. You say the chairs "need work" soooo, I would just give them some TLC. Jerseygirl is right that they would look better with a darker finish. That would give them a more 'Olde World" look. A lot of posters here and on some other forums, talk about using Restore-a-Finish with great results and gel stains too. Since these are not real antique chairs nothing like that would "ruin" them. Recover the seats.

These 'fixes' are cheap. And easy. If you do not like the results and still do not like the chairs in the room, you can still sell them on CL like SC-irish says and get a better price for them.

• parma42
    15 years ago

What is your lighting like?

Do you have any other pics of the room?

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I also like the chairs and would just change out the fabric on the chairs to be more plain to pick up a color in the rug so the design does not compete with the rug. I Love your room, especially those gorgeous floors!

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

I also really like those chairs and agree that a darker finish and perhaps a rich tapestry fabric on the seats would really enhance the whole room. Beautiful carved chest there!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn, thanks again about the floors. This is probably the best decorating decision I ever made.

Les, I *love* those chairs. Can't afford them right now but I love 'em. You have great taste! I tend to agree with you that my chairs are too modern. Thanks so much for the time you put into finding and sharing those chairs. You've been such a great help to me. Look in these pics and you'll see the drapes you picked out.

I appreciate ALL the help you've all given me! If you look around here, you'll see your ideas implemented. Thanks so much! :-)

Jerseygirl, yes there's a ball on the front of the chairs at the tops of the legs. Great eyes! More on the chandy...

Sc-Irish, yep on changing the seat covers. You're right it's very simple. I did the ones that are there now.

Dilly-Dally, interesting thoughts on the chairs versus the armoire. Could you please tell me more about the Restore-a-Finish and gel stains? There are actually little splatters of white paint I got on my chairs, so they'll need a light sanding but it would be fabulous if I didn't have to take them all the way back to wood. Anyone?

I suppose for budget sake I could live with them chairs longer... but I was hoping to find something on CL (this is my CL http://seattle.craigslist.org/). I thought about ladderback, and pressback in a darker oak. Would those be better? I have four other chairs that are mission style with painted wood I could strip. The size would be better for in there, but they're honestly not comfy for very long. These aren't cushy, but they're more comfy.

I agree these chairs need to be darker if I keep them. I also agree they need a different fabric. I had bought some fabric that goes with my sofa and chair, but now it clashes with my new rug (rug too burgundy, fabric too orange). So I remembered the fabric Les had suggested for my fainting couch, that I bought but didn't use. Truth is looking at it doesn't make me go "wow." It goes great with the table, but not so sure about with the rug. What do you think?

I had thought maybe a burgundy/cream stripe? Kinda' 40s, though. But simple enough to let the carpet and the armoire shine.

Jerseygal, you are so right that I need a chandy! I *hate* the fixture that's in there now (came with the house). I have three other fixtures I could consider (or sell). Two are stained glass (one has red in it but only takes one lousy bulb, and the other is too silvery I think) and the other is a pretty small, minimal crystal chandy, but maybe I could add crystals. Still thinking on it.

What style of chandy would you all put there?

Now here is a problem. Teeda thanks... my armoire is my best piece of furniture by far, my pride and joy. It's huge, though. It takes 3-4 men to move it. Since the movers plopped it here, I've thought I'd have to move/hide it downstairs. But now that the new floors are in, do you think it can stay here?

Parma, are you sure you want more pictures? Well, welcome to a bizarere artist's house. lol!

In the corner by the deck is an antique lawer's cabinet. It used to have dolls in it and I've been thinking about either keep it and put my china in it, or move it downstairs. Which?

It's a little crowded in there for dining... so I've wondered if I should move both the lawyer's cab and the armoire out and get a hutch like normal people have?

BTW, the valance still needs to go up. I found out the rod that is there is too fat to fit into the casing of the valances I have. They match my LR drapes. So I need to get a new rod. Well, you asked to see the whole thing! (blush)

The LR and DR are continuous. They had two different floors, which I hated. They look SO much better with one floor. Here is what you see next to the armoire. I haven't painted my border I painted back out of the wall yet, but I did paint the stripes out. I haven't decided what to do with the wall color in the LR/DR but I'm thinking it should be all the same? Looks a bit goofy as it is. I was thinking Decatur Buff? Or???

That pole lamp needs a shade. I'm making one. I did, however, repaint the lamp. The base was rusty and the pole was all dinged up. I'm pretty proud of how it came out, though I don't know that the picture does it justice.

Swinging around the room clockwise, here's what is next, and you can see how my new $50 CL rug goes with the furniture...

What you see on my couch here is protection from the dog who loves to leap up there at 150 mph and I noticed a couple of spots the other day. It's an old granny crocheted afghan on the seat and a small throw covering the back. If fancy company comes I can remove it but it blends so well I don't even notice it.

I need to tape a paintbrush to a pole and touch up the frame around the window with the stained glass in it. Oh well, just one more thing to do.

I made this beige lampshade, but I'm going to replace it one of these days.

The white rocker doesn't go but it's terrifically comfy, and easy to move around. It gives more seating. Should I spray paint it black? Or sell it and get a better one (I love Cliff & Joann's)? Or just take it out of there?

And finally, facing the direction of the DR again but to the left, is the hall tree.

Well that's it, the whole thing. Any and all suggestions are most welcome!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did my pictures scare ya'?

• debbimc
    15 years ago

ok--I am new here but I will give it a try with just a couple of thoughts. The light fixture hanging in front of the stained window-could you change that with just something else more in tune with your antique look. I would lose the white rocker out of that room. Also, I am not sure about the border?? are you getting rid of it? personaly, I would--your furniture & all is busy enough. I love the chairs & agree a stripe would be nice. I would move the legal bookcase out of the dining area-have you cosidered putting the bookcase where the halltree is? i love your furniture!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

oceanna you're a girl after my own heart lol! I have very few antiques of the sort you clearly love, but there was a period in my life when I just LOVED that look (although, for me, at that time, the more is more attitude was not enough lol!).

And after seeing all of the beautifully matched & pristine modern or true-to-the-era sort of rooms & houses that are everywhere around us, I find it a total delight to see a mix of styles & eras like yours, that clearly say "this is ME!" I couldn't possibly tell you what "my style" is, because I really don't think it can be pigeon-holed. I just know what I like, & try to place like-minded pieces together, & basically just go with what makes me feel good. Your living room looks like feel-good place, to me :)

I love so many of your pieces - will need to take a closer look when I have more time & energy to see if I can come up with any helpful suggestions, but I will say that I think your DR chairs are OK, & agree with those who say a darker stain on the wood & a richer fabric would be good. However, now that I've seen the rest of the LR, I can see where les is coming from, as far as bringing in something with less modern lines, that matches the rest of what you have a little better.

Fun room!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think the fabric goes well with the table and the rug. I would give it a go, you already have the fabric,so you've got nothing to lose! I like the fabric very much. I think the chairs work well in your room. I like your artists place, it has so mauch personality! Your stained glass - gallery glass right? is wonderful!
    I would paint the rocker black, it would look nice in your room

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Oceanna, what elan you bring to antiquing your modern house! Just a few comments in response to questions you raised :

-- I'm in the minority, I think, but those chairs just don't work for me either. I don't think darkening them is worth the energy you'll put into the project, b/c I don't think it'll change their look enough to make them coordinate with your other beautiful pieces. I would start a CL/Goodwill watch for DR chairs, walnut or mahogany, simple lines. I also agree w/your instincts re that fabric for reupholstering them: it's not quite right with the rug. (though it is Seriously Gorgeous on its own, and if you feel like sending it to me, don't hold back!). I would look for a single color rather than a pattern, if you do decide to reupholster them... pull something out of the rug.

--chandy; you definitely need one, as you said. But there I think you should go snazzy, not simple: the chandelier can and should reflect the wonderful energy of the room, and above a simple table and chairs it will shine. I wonder whether Ebay holds some antique marvel that will be perfect in your room and not hard for an electrician to rewire. Or Rejuvenation Lighting, maybe?

--if you really love the rocker, I agree that it needs to be a darker color, either black or dark brown. But I don't really think the spindled legs etc complements the antiques in that room, and I'd also be haunting CL for an oak/walnut antique rocker to replace it.

--not sure what should go where the legal bookcase is now (and what a great piece, btw) but it might be worth moving it, then seeing what the space says to you.

very much enjoying this thread and your room!

• jjam
    15 years ago

Oceanna, your home is lovely. It's so nice to see so many of your projects completed, and they all flow together beautifully. You must love coming home to such a warm, welcoming place!

As for your DR chairs, some suggested a darker finish; I'd paint them black and recover the seats with the paisley fabric. Very practical but good looking at the same time. I like the lines of the chairs and think they'll look great when they have some contrast next to your table. The nice wood grain of the table will also really stand out next to the painted chairs. I think you'll love them.

You should be very proud of what you have accomplished!

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

After viewing your rooms, I think the Chandy should be black iron and simple. No shades. I am trying to find you a picture but everything I like is 1+K. Figures. Someone posted a chandy that was black iron with just arms at different heights. I was simple but elegant.

I always liked that red sofa and I still see a leopard throw pillow on it.

Oceanna, It's good to see you posting again!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Well. I know what you can do with the legal bookcase.

Me
    My House
    California

:)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"Dilly-Dally, interesting thoughts on the chairs versus the armoire. Could you please tell me more about the Restore-a-Finish and gel stains? There are actually little splatters of white paint I got on my chairs, so they'll need a light sanding but it would be fabulous if I didn't have to take them all the way back to wood. Anyone?"

I have no experience with the product. But if you do a search on GW you will find people rave about it, both the ease of use and the results.

One of the questions you posed was whether to get rid of the lawyer bookcase. I would say yes, for a number of reasons. Bookcases do not look good in a dining room. Unless you need a bookcase in the dining room because you homeschool or something, it should go. You say you do not use it and it is empty and just takes up good floor space.

I would not use that fabric on the chairs. Putting a busy print fabric on the chair seats over another busy print from the rug won't look right. I would go with a stripe fabric for the seats. Wide strip is very Victorian. Stripes were popular as a fabric print for Victorian ladies' dresses. I have heard it referred to as "Arsenic Stripe".

The fabric you have is nice fabric and does go well with the rug from the way it looks on my monitor. Is there enough to make curtains for the sliding doors? Take down the vertical blinds and put up a big beefy curtain rod with big curtain rings that slide easily. It will make the DR cozy and should not be any more difficult to manage open/close than the vertical blinds you have now. I would not put a valance over a door. Since you say the valances you have already, match the ones in your LR can't you just add them to the LR ones and fill them in more? Remember, when it comes to Victorian decorating; more is more, and that is a good thing. Victorian decorating is never skimpy or minimalistic. Victorians often used drapes in the archways between rooms to keep down drafts. Having drapes on a rod will give it that feel, and hide the sliding doors.

I would put some sheers or crochet curtains behind the couch in ivory to conceal the white trim and balance the drapes you have there. You won't have to look at those trucks and the sheer/crochet will let light in. Bonus; You can walk around in your jammies all day and no one can see in.

You ask about the white rocker. You already know it does not 'go' with the other nice antiques but you say you like it's comfort. Sure you could get a Victorian one but you may be able to blend this one. It is not just the white color that is clashing it is also the style. Do not paint it black. Do a chocolate. Since you say you can sew, then make a seat and back cushion out of velvet. Add some brocade to the cushions and paint the spindle accents like they are painted now, but use a Victorian color(s). This will make you favorite comfortable rocker fit in better. More is more, with Victorian.

{{gwi:1541561}}

I don't know what your future plans are with the fireplace, but a screen in front of it with a Victorian feel would make it blend with the Victorian.

{{gwi:1541562}}

Of course a huge chandelier in the entry way would look great but if that is not in the budget for the near future maybe add a third tier of colored and clear crystals to soften the contemporary feel it has now. You can get some for a few bucks to add some other colors and change the silhouette of the chandy. Use some ruby and gold prisms. Add a third tier and mix a few of the new crystals in with the prism. Maybe the brass can be aged with some ammonia.

The one this I would change in the LR is to move the lamp off of the record player. The lamp shade is too wide for it and it give the feeling that it will topple. Victorians did put lamps high like the way the other one is on the glass door cabinet, but the Victrolia is a piece of equipment designed with a function and even if it is broke it should look like it works. I would keep the lid propped open on it to show it off. Maybe you could put the lampon the DR cabinet. Yes, it will be high but the Victorians did things like that.

Those lamps are dynamite. Just gorgeous. The antique furniture is charming. Once you decide on your paint color it will all pull together.

Put crown molding on your wish list. Also to frame out the window above the entrance. The Romanesque arch in the fireplace is Victorian but it needs a mantle and some crown molding to make it fit in better.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I forgot- I used restore a finish on our DR table- it is a 1940s Duncan phyfe and my DH accidently got a white coffee cup on it. I followed the directions on the can exactly.I matched the color of the table to the color on the can. I also bought their wax they recommended on the label.The ring is gone and the table looks wonderful.
    My DH used itlast night on a mirror frame that is also from the 40s and was his Dads. Before it was a bit too beat up looking for our DR. But it turned out great and is hanging up now!
    The most important thing to consider is that you can't use this product if you will be using a polyurethane later, they are incompatible.
    email me if you need more help, I have used it a lot.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I had to laugh about your laywer's cabinet. We have one, also, and I can't tell you to how many different room we've moved it.

I don't really think you have to move it immediately. That's the fun of collecting. Using items in unexpected places. For now, you could put a plant on top and china inside. Even Victorians had a few utilitarian looking objects floating around.

• slateberry
    15 years ago

what if, before you darken the finish on those chairs, you do a transparent black (I dunno, like 25% black, 75% glaze) stencil that picks up some of the motifs in the cabinet? Those are good chairs, and some of the flatter surfaces would lend themselves well to stenciling, and the stenciling would enable them to blend with your decor better. It could be very subtle. From a distance they might be mistaken for carvings. And you don't have to do a perfect fussy job, as the stain (maybe polyshades walnut) would soften the imperfections.

Here is a link that might be useful: stencilled chair

• slateberry
    15 years ago

Here is another example. Not quite what I had in mind, but it just shows you how much is possible. That was a very plain chair before they started.

Here is a link that might be useful: another stencilled chair

• patser
    15 years ago

Your dining table appears to be oak and it's got a very nice grain. To me, the chairs you have now don't have really any visible grain. I'd look for chairs that match the wood of the table and then, if you need fabric on the seats, I'd get a solid color. I'd let the grain of the wood be the "pattern" with the rug. How about chairs like some of these?

http://www.shelllakefurniture.com/ - the chairs on the Home page. Or....

Here is a link that might be useful: Quarter Sawn Oak Chairs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your very kind words. I really appreciate it because it's scary venturing out of the box in decor. There's sometimes a fine line between "wow" and "yuck." It's very comforting to think maybe I'm staying on the right side of that line.

Hi Debbimc and welcome! Yes the entryway light fixture is too modern. I will haunt CL for a deal. It took me over a week of work to hand paint that border, but I probably should paint it out. Or, I could continue it through the DR but it was so much work. The legal bookcase can go downstairs when I can get some help in carrying it. Thanks about my furniture.

Moonkat, I'm eagerly awaiting threads where you reveal pics of the inside of your house (did I miss some and if so can you give the urls, please?). I think we all should decorate with whatever turns us on. If you start with antiques, you don't have to worry about fads. You're *always* out of style. hehe. Yeah, doesn't Les have a wonderful eye for things? I love the more gentle, rounded look of the chairs she suggested, plus they sure look comfy.

Cooperbailey, yes the big window is Gallery Glass. You all can do it! I think I will spray the rocker black and trim it with a wee bit of gold. If it's still not good there I can always move it downstairs or sell it. It's just my favorite seat when company comes. Thanks for the tips about restore a finish -- very good for us all to know. Looks like you had great results with it.

Walkin ~~ I stopped at the hardware store today for spray black paint and a drop cloth. I'm going to hit all the chairs with it and reupholster the seats, which is easy. Then live with it while I look for something better. When/if I sell them on CL I should get more for them as I've fixed them up. Painting is a ton easier than stripping. So I just parked my car outside for the night and I'll see if I revive enough energy to do a little sanding/painting tin the garage.

Jerseygirl ~~ Thanks so much for looking for a chandy for me. I'm thinking masses of crystal, but I'll haunt CL with your idea in mind too, and see what I can find. Pictures would be most welcome. Another possibility is an art deco fixture.

Dilly ~~ Wow, you supplied a ton of really creative, fun ideas. Much for me to think about. I never would have thought about sticking crystals into the existing light fixture. You are so clever! YUM on that chandy you pictured.

Parma ~~ Thanks for your thoughts on the lawyer's cabinet. I can't move it immediately. It really is a versatile piece, isn't it? You can display anything in there, I think. I love it.

Slateberry ~~ What an interesting idea! I love to mess around with paint.

Patser ~~ Yes the DR table is oak and I love the grain of it. Right... I think the chairs might be fruitwood, as I recall, but no visible grain. Wow, those chairs are gorgeous! WAY too much money, but gorgeous. I'm going to continue to haunt CL I think. Meanwhile, I'll see what I can do with these chairs to improve their looks. I'm thinking about the set of chairs I have that are not comfy and they're probably perfect for that table. I can't remember, but I think they are oak but need to be stripped. I just wish they were comfy.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dilly -- I'm still thinking about everything you said and I have a few questions.

Would you really hang HEAVY upholstery tapestry as draperies? I suppose I should line them. I'll need to mount the hardware into studs, right? The rod would deffinitely need center support. That means the drapes would have to hang on each end, rather than just pull across from the right as I was imagining. I let the dogs in and out that door (on the left) 5+ times a day and if they brush any draperies they will turn them filthy in no time. So how would you do that?

Also, where did you get that chandy pic? Is that for sale?

I'm thinking about that entry chandy and wondering how on earth I will even reach it. Last time it needed a bulb changed, I made my son do it. So if I find a replacement fixture I think I'll need to hire a pro because the darn thing is attached two stories up and over stairs. I have no idea how I'll ever clean it. How important is it to replace it, do you think?

The chandy over the table is another matter. I hate the one that's there. I just don't know what to put in its place.

Fireplace screen -- is it safe to take down the mesh curtain that's there and replace it with a screen? If yes, I could really use that mesh screen in the basement, if it fits the opening (haven't measured).

I mentioned that I have some fabric for chair covering that just turned out to be too orangey for the burgundy in the carpet. Can I dye that fabric burgundy?

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

oceanna: I am just in the final stages of finishing up the restoration of my 1940's DR chairs and I highly recommend it. I ended up replacing the foam, batting, fabric for the seats and cleaning and using Restore-a-Finish for the frames. I need to have some of the joints glued before I reattach the seats and still have 2 more chairs to cover (8 total chairs). I plan to post some pics later today of my project. I used a stripe which I really like paired with a patterned rug. I had heard that stripes can be more difficult, but I think it is actually easier since you just need to line up the center stripe and you know you've placed the fabric evenly and the same for all chairs. My red is not an exact match to the rug either, but went ahead anyway because the fabric is a perfect match with my drapes and rug was a used one I'd bought on CL--but the overall effect is still good.

I will say it was a very labor intensive project since I ended up replacing everything--the old foam/batting was yucky. I had 8 chairs to do with lots of carving to clean. It was very worthwhile and the results look professional--due in large part to advice received here and some internet research. If you can do that gallery glass, this should be a piece of cake for you.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just saw them today and they're gorgeous!!! I'm drooling over here, Val.

Today I got my other set of chairs, just a simple Arts and Crafts style, Mission, if you will. I sanded them and painted them black. Then I took the above chairs down to the garage and piled them up. But I still don't know what to cover the chairs with, and these are less comfy, but I like that they take up less room. Dunno if I'm thrilled yet.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Put crown molding on your wish list. Also to frame out the window above the entrance. The Romanesque arch in the fireplace is Victorian but it needs a mantle and some crown molding to make it fit in better.

Do you all think I should put a mantel on this fireplace? I mean, just a shelf. It would have to sit right down on the arch. Because the fireplace is raised off the floor, that makes it very high up. I would love to have one, but I'm not sure it would look good. Would you do it?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"Also, where did you get that chandy pic? Is that for sale?"

Yes, it is for sale! But it comes with a mansion. LOL. See here:

http://www.1221locust.com/?page=photo2&LSID=95f5721078d2c9b1c096aed7b474aa8e

Since this is not a Victorian house I would not invest in a pricey chandelier for the foyer or dining room. They have Victorian style chandys at retail outlets for a decent price to fit the bill.

You ask about the drapery for the sliding doors. Yes, I would hang heavy drapes if you want to achieve the Victorian feel for the space.

There should not be a problem hanging a rod over the doors. It is done quite often and you should not need a center support. The trick is to use a rod that has a wide diameter. A skinny rod may sag. A wide hollow rod will not bend as easily due to the physics involved. Rods are surprisingly expensive but you may be able to pick up one of those plastic, "wood look" thick rods, for next to nothing from someone who is throwing one out in order to redecorate.

With no center rod you can pull the drapes to the right and have plenty of room for access through the door when you want to let the doggies out. You do not need to hang them on both ends.

No center rod:

{{gwi:1541566}}

If you do decide to use some sheers on the window behind your sofa, here is a neat way to install them on vinyl windows without worrying about drilling into the windows and ruining them or using ugly tension rods.

{{gwi:1541567}}

The fireplace has a very Arts and Craft/Prairie look but a round arch was very often used in Victorian design at that time. Victorian homes were very often a 'mongrel'.

A freestanding fireplace screen serves the same purpose as one that is hung but with pets I would just put the freestanding one in from of the firebox and leave the one installed in place.

"I mentioned that I have some fabric for chair covering that just turned out to be too orangey for the burgundy in the carpet. Can I dye that fabric burgundy?"

Don't try to dye a bolt of fabric. It will never come out satisfactory. Never.

Can the coat rack be put down in the foyer near the door if there is enough room? It would make more sense to have the coat rack near the door for guests than having them clomp up the stairs with their coats to hang them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mansion for Sale

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

oceanna: I found that putting the foam on my chairs really added to the comfort level--so perhaps you could use that. Do you have a picture of what you've got so far so we can make some suggestions?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dilly, haha I'll run right out and buy that mansion to get that light fixture. :)

I hadn't even thought about a really thick rod. I'll have to look around. I would very much like the curtains to just sit on the right. Thanks for showing me how it's possible.

I did try the hall tree by the door first, thinking exactly what you said, but it just won't fit. :( So that was the next closest place. Maybe I need to sell it and buy a different one?

So is this what you mean I should do with the fp? This is a raised fp so that puts the mantel up very high. That's why I haven't added one to date...

I spray painted my smaller chairs black yesterday and they're just too small. So I think I'll put the too-orange fabric on them (rather than try to dye it) and sell them in CL, freshly painted and freshly covered. They will look nice. Then I'll figure out what to do with the other chairs, whether to just sell them and buy something I really like, or work to make them better. I was at JoAnn's today so I brought home some swatches for chair covering.

I'll look around locally for a chandy. I do have one old one in the basement I might be able to fix up for there, or for my bedroom.

Thanks for hanging in here with me! ((((Dilly))))

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Keep your eyes peeled for CL finds, like this Victorian rocker $40. I just happened to stumble on it and thought of how you were contemplating one to replace the one you have. They are around on CL. You just have to keep checking. Forty bucks for this great rocker. You never know, someone may be tossing out an old Victorian reproduction chandy or a big wood curtain rod. How come I never find anything I need?

{{gwi:1541571}}{{gwi:1541572}}

Here is a link that might be useful: CL Victorian Rocker