SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedpuller1954

Small kitchen renovation

Weedpuller1954
11 years ago

After 4 years of thinking about it, and months of lurking on this forum, we finally have a floor plan to submit for critique and advice from the GW gurus. We are calling this a renovation, rather than a remodel, since we are sticking with the original footprint and retaining the 4 year old appliances. We plan to move the dishwasher to the peninsula, and the sink to the corner. We will be replacing the 1970s cabinets and laminate counter-tops, and removing the soffits to extend the cabinets to the 8 ft. ceiling. We are adding a bar sink between the pantry and refrigerator to create a beverage center that is out of the main work area of the kitchen. We are "stealing" about 8" from the breakfast area to accommodate the raised counter on the peninsula.
The kitchen measures approximately 9' x 14'. The measurements in the layout I'm posting are not precise. I'm not tech savvy enough to use a design program, so relied on DH for the graphics. I do not have a floor plan that connects the kitchen to the rest of the house. The "dog gate" on the floor plan separates the breakfast area from the hallway/foyer and family room. There is a stairway directly behind the pantry and beverage center/wet bar. The swinging door beside the refrigerator leads to our small (10 x 10) dining room/office. The open doorway beside the range leads to a mud room/laundry room. The only main floor bathroom is off the mud/laundry room. Also, the only door to the back yard/garage is in the mud/laundry room. We have 3+ dogs and a pool, so to say that there is a heavy traffic zone through the kitchen is an understatement.
For the most part, this is a one-cook kitchen. DH and I are empty nesters. We often have friends and family in for casual gatherings and bigger groups on major holidays. I have tried to create prep, cook and cleanup zones as much as possible in the small space, as well as adding the raised bar area for serving buffet-style to crowds.
We are about ready to take the big step of ordering cabinets. I would really appreciate input from the collective genius here at GW before we take the plunge. So.........have at it!

Comments (13)