SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

I've gone and done it! Yikes! (dark kitchen)

theresse
12 years ago

Hahaha well this time it's NOT any contractor's fault - what I'm bi%ching and moaning about! ;) It's all my fault! And a few of you had told me you really liked it two-toned as I had it (gray below, white above) so I didn't listen as well as I should have. Bad me. I was in a huge hurry cause of a baby shower I'm throwing and timing-wise the stars sorta aligned so I called my painter friend in to have him quickly paint my kitchen (yes I know, quick is NEVER a good thing)...and I'd ordered too much Benjamin Moore Fieldstone Gray so I let him go ahead and paint EVERYTHING except the walls and ceiling that color (and one wall is almost all cabinets!).

The pics here show the process (although taken from iphone so not the greatest quality) before cab doors were up making it even darker! So it doesn't look *as* bad in the pics as it does when all the doors are up. I'll post the newest pics in a bit here - as soon as I'm able to without being in the painter's way.

My new lower cabs were already the gray color and looked beautiful with the uppers and the everywhere else being white (and greige walls). Now everything's the Fieldstone gray color besides the walls/ceiling which are BM's Linen White - a cream color - (except for the window above the sink which is primed white for now until I decide what to do with it).

I was going after the Sally Wheat look - but I knew it would't be as nice as hers just cause my cabs are 99 years old and have been around the block you might say (not perfect condition like new wood is), and also Sally's kitchen has open cabs with lots of white splattered throughout - as well as white counters; mine are silver/stainless with white marble backsplash. My cabinets have shaker doors. Lastly, the gray color looks really pretty right by the window, but the big wall you see when you walk into the kitchen has no window near it so just looks darker.

I'll post more pics soon. Reason for posting (and sorry it's premature without most recent pics): want your honest opinion about how depressing/overwhelming it is and whether or not I should re-paint and where (white I assume). I could also paint the ceiling white but I don't know how much that would help. Also, what color should I paint the window above the sink? Gray just to be consistent? Or just keep it white and then make the ceiling white to make it not the only thing white in the room (besides stove, hood, backsplash and sink)?

Thanks! Crazy me! ;)

The first kitchen is the one I was coveting and the 3 after that are my trying-to-get-there-the-best-I-can pics!

..and remember that with the solid shaker doors on the cabs, it'll be a LOT darker, unlike Sally's kitchen above (ahhhh, hers is so nice and soothing in comparison - haha)

Comments (61)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County