SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misplacedtxgal

Need Advice on built in Bookshelves NOW Carpenter is here!

misplacedtxgal
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I could really use some advice on a library install that is right off my kitchen. The carpenters are here now and we've hit one disaster after another. Wall are straight, ceiling not level. All out of their control. Anyway, these bookshelves are floor to ceiling stained pretty dark. I had a large crown moulding selecting for the top to be flush with the ceiling. This is the problem. They installed the crown to the ceiling, but with the level of the ceiling off the crown slants. It is very noticeable!

The bookshelves were built off site to save money (I couldn't have afforded the project otherwise), but he tells me that with everything being off something was going to be noticeable. I wish I could post a picture, but they are installing right now. I told them to go ahead and install the other three bookshelves (minus the crown) to give me time to think (and get on GardenWeb!)

Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone have any idea how to make this less noticeable?

2) Do you normally wrap the bookshelves baseboard around the side to the wall, or just have it in the front? I keep changing my mind!

Good gosh! I"m a mess. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Kay

Btw, I forgot to mention that this room will be seen from not only the kitchen, but the great room and formal living as well thru french doors.

Comments (7)