SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msbubbaclees

Using a sealer on matte/frosted glass tile?

msbubbaclees
10 years ago

Has anyone used a sealer with a matte/frosted glass tile installation? (I posted a similar question over in Bathrooms a few days ago, but wanted to see if anyone here had other thoughts.)

I've chosen a 1" x 6" offset mosaic matte (frosted) glass tile for my kitchen backsplash (Ann Sacks Lucian). The color is a soft white.

The tile tearsheet says to "seal matte finish with a penetrating sealer before and after grouting" but it doesn't suggest a specific product. I contacted Ann Sacks, and they said they don't want to recommend a specific sealer "since they're not installers". But the installers I've spoken to have never sealed glass tile.

I wouldn't think you'd seal a glass tile like you would a stone tile (and in fact my search turned up at least one thread here about glass tile troubles caused by the installer using a sealer), but maybe the matte finish gives the sealer something to adhere to?

I'm not DIY-ing this, but at this point in my renovation I've learned the hard way that I should try to know as much as possible about the various options so I can make sure the contractor does things the way I want in the end.

Any thoughts? Have you installed a matte glass tile, and if so did you use a sealer or not?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths