SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspuds

Speed Queen AWN542 Review

gardenspuds
9 years ago

My new Speed Queen AWN542 top load washer arrived yesterday.

First of all, let me say, these washers are only found in a few appliance stores in my area, not Best Buy, Loews, etc. The customer service was beyond what I was expecting. Very positive experience, from purchase to delivery.

So far I've washed 3 loads of laundry- a medium colored load, towels, and darks.

If people remember, I am the one who had the bad experience with the LG Waveforce top load washer, which we purchased 3 years ago and broke twice. So I'm coming to my basic button Speed Queen from an LG washer with lots of electronic options, and a huge drum (I cannot remember, maybe almost 5 cu. ft. I want to say 4.7 cu ft). Before that, we were using a Bosch front loading machine that was in the house when we moved here 7 years ago. I "put up" with that one for about 4 years and hated it. One reason is because I'm a fiber artist and need to spin a lot of woolen items that I've handmade myself- and to spin out wool before I've made it into something. The front loader seemed to felt too many of my goods. I was used to old top loaders before the Bosch- I could do spin only cycles fantastically to get the water out of my wool (I wash in the sink). I wasn't real happy with the LG HE either even though it was a top loader- the plates on the bottom would move a lot before a spin only cycle- a little more movement than I like for my wool...

Back to Speed Queen. The sales woman did make sure that I would be okay with going down to a 3.3 ft. cubic drum. I said yes. We only have 2 adults in the household, and I rarely filled the LG drum, unless we had company and I had to wash a huge load of towels, or our queen sized quilt. I used to try to accumulate as many dirty clothes as possible for a decent sized load in the large LG drum- sometimes my husband would get frustrated because he would run out of white undershirts! I wouldn't realize it- but the white loads never look big enough to put in that huge drum...

I LOVE the Speed Queen. I am back to doing laundry the way I used to with my old top loader machines! (meaning smaller loads, but for just the two of us, it's nice to fill the machine instead of barely filling 1/8 of the LG drum!). I love the spindle in the middle- my loads didn't get off balance, which was a constant issue with the LG. The way the LG solves off balance loads, is to add more water and swish around the clothes again, then try to respin and balance. Sometimes it would do this 3 or 4 times a load- I think that HE machine used more water per cycle for some loads than the Speed Queen ever will...

I love the water level selection choice. I did run a small load last night, and was able to select just the right amount of water. I like the lid doesn't lock, so I can add something without waiting.

I didn't realize that this model had a fabric softener dispenser until reading the manual. It is in the top of the middle spindle. I don't use softener much, but do once in awhile.

I don't think the drum spins as fast as the HE machines- I had to increase drying time for my loads about 5 minutes in my dryer. But, I am hoping the lower, but sufficient spinning speeds on the SQ will protect some of my clothing and sheets. I have permanent creases in 3 of my sateen cotton sheet sets (the top sheet, near the top) after running them through the HE machines- one set in the Bosch, two new sets in the LG. I tried ironing them out, with starch no less, and can't get those creases out. They are ugly. I NEVER had this happen with and old top loader, and I suspect it is because of the high spin drum speeds in the HE machine (more water extraction, less drying, more energy saving). I'm all for energy saving, but I am frustrated that 3 of my sheet sets have been ruined in the HE washers...

I feel like the 3 loads that have went through the SQ are very clean. I have had a stain on one of my shirts for about a month, and when I folded it, the stain was gone! I thought, my gosh, Speed queen really is that good! Then I put the shirt away and realized it was a different shirt :) time will tell on this matter.

There are a few things adjustments I'll have to make switching from a fully electronic HE machine. The SQ doesn't have a "delay wash" feature. I won't be able to setup clothing and have it wash hours later. I'm not sure yet if my queen quilt will fit in the machine. The LG had an internal heater and could get super hot- that was handy for occasionally yucky laundry we won't need to discuss...

Noise level: This SQ is a little louder than the LG or the Bosch before it. There is an annoying "Hum" to my ear when it is filling (probably the electronic portion of the machine?). It probably wouldn't bother most people, my husband thinks I'm a little crazy that little sound bothers me- I'm sensitive to certain frequency of sounds. We have the machine in the garage, so I don't care how loud it is. It's about as loud as my old top loaders which we had in a laundry room with a door. Garage, laundry room, basement, none of these you'd need to worry about the sound. I would hesitate if this was in a living space with louver closet doors though...

Did I mention how fast a load gets done? I cannot believe I did 3 loads of laundry in about 4 hours! I NEVER did 3 loads in one day with my old machine!

Well, I'll update here as I use the machine right now. So far, I'm absolutely happy with my decision to go with the SQ. I do feel a twinge of guilt about not buying an HE machine because I live in the West and water is precious here. However, we've been doing such intense water conservation with the rest of our practices (we turned off our drip irrigation a couple of months ago and only lightly hand water the plants that "droop", we've lost a few), and with the water level selection option, it will be curious to see how much water I'm really using when the water bill comes. It may not change that much since the LG was constantly adding water to rebalance a load...

Yay!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention how pleased I am to have an appliance made in the USA! I paid full retail for my machine, and it was more than the LG machine it replaced, but I am very happy to provide someone here in the US a job...

This post was edited by gardenspuds on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:09

Comments (11)