SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjboggs

How cold is too cold for my heat pump??

kjboggs
15 years ago

I just built my home and finished it this summer. I had a third party do a manual J for it, and had a reputable installer install a 2 ton 14 seer and 2.5 ton 14 seer goodman heatpumps for my 2 story 3516 sq ft. home. The home is insulated well with damp blown cellulose in the walls, and every penetration sealed as well as possible and other energy efficient features.

The balance point calculated was about 30 degrees, but last night it got down to 20 just outside of Charlotte, NC and the pumps seemed to be working fine. I dont think the units are set to turn on the emergency heat on their own, I have to do it manually with the programmable thermostats.

I noticed that they did run for a while before kicking off, but kept the home at 71* all night.

I was just curious is this could damage the heat pumps in any way running them when it is this cold out, or if I know if it is going to be in the low 20's, switching to emergency heat before we go to bed??

The cooling season was great, and i much prefer the heatpumps to any system that I have had previously.

Comments (8)