SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Does your kitchen go with your house age, style?

kathec
13 years ago

I was just commenting on another post and read other comments about period kitchens in turn of the century houses (19th). It made me curious, what about turn of the 20th century houses? Is there really a "style"? Mine is a 1990 suburban special. Outside it has a sort of colonial, neo classical look and it has a basic center hall layout, but no one would ever drive up to my house thinking it's 200 or more years old. The interior finishes are not too different than what is put in today. My old cabinets were builder oak, the same kind put in from the 80's and are still on the shelf at Home Depot.

I think traditional might be the best description, in fact, I think the new kitchen will be better in line with what the house is trying to be, than the old kitchen. The new kitchen will actually have a style as opposed to the old kitchen's collection of cheapest, most readily available materials:

Oak face frame cabinets

off white laminate counters

off white 4" square tile backsplash

off white vinyl sheet flooring, later covered with beige tile

no hardware

Single flourescent ceiling fixture

off white paint

off white sink and off white faucet

(Yeah, it was A LOT of off white)

So, although DH likes modern and I'm eclectic, which is code for fickle and liking way too much, we let the house dicate the kitchen style (and really good bargains). We have to keep resale in mind at all times. This is the 4th house we've owned in 13 years of marriage, so although ideally we'd love to stay, the reality is we could move for DH's job.

How about you? Does or will your kitchen go with your house? Or is/will your kitchen be a reflection of personal style?

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert