SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruinsfan_gw

LP vs. Oil, New Construction, Boston

bruinsfan
16 years ago

Good Afternoon,

I'm sure there has been much debate, but I cannot seem to find folks from my neck of the woods (30 miles north of Boston, Zone 5) to ask.

I'm building a garage w/an 875 sq. ft. 1 b/room apt. above it and am trying to figure out LP vs. oil (I do not have the option for natural gas). I know I want a gas stove for cooking, so I'm going to have LP anyway, and I'm thinking I'll hook up my dryer to it and possibly a tankless hot water system (google "rinnai" for more information, or foreverhotwater.com if you're not sure what it is).

I just can't figure out how to heat the darn house, do I want an oil tank JUST for forced hot air oil heat? Or, should I just get a bigger LP tank and use that. Elec. is out, too pricey I would think. I'm not doing radiant heat floors or anything like that. Just a regular system, I just don't know how to power it.

Anybody I know that lives in anything like 800-900 sq. ft., is in a condo complex w/elec. heat and depending on what floor they are on they might not even use it that much.

Anybody have any insight? Maybe you live in an in-law style apartment w/gas or oil and can tell me what it's costing you? I know that LP is, allegedly, cleaner burning, no soot on my walls, etc., but does an LP furnace burn thru more LP than an oil furnace wood (considering equal BTUs).

Most folks I know that have gas only use it for cooking, dryer, etc., and have oil heat, but really can't tell me why.

Or is it really just the same thing, only different?

Thanks a million!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations