SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tc44

36' 42' or all the way up?

TC44
13 years ago

We have 9 foot ceilings. I have looked at tons of pics but am still not sure how to go.... We have had 3 cabinet guys in and each suggested a different option (listed below)...

*I currently have 5 1/2" crown in the kitchen.

1. 36" cabinets with 3" crown leaving about 9" between the cabinets and the ceiling crown ("A little more space looks better if you aren't going all the way to the ceiling")...

2. 42" cabinets with 3" crown leaving only about 3" between cabinet crown and ceiling crown (Guy#1: "This is good; with dark cabinets it's better to leave a little space and not go to ceiling; Guy #2"This isn't enough space; it looks better with more space between the cabinet crown and the ceiling crown....").

3. Installing a wide moulding strip between the top of the cabinets and the crown so that the cabinets go right up to the ceiling (obviously would have to remove existing crown); "This is the way to go; it will look very nice."

My wife is worried that option 3 will be overkill, top heavy, .... and maybe close in the kitchen too much. I am leaning toward option # 2.

Any input?

Thx :)

Comments (16)