SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaleigh_gw

Help. . . just getting started. . .need kitchen advice. . .

jessicaleigh
15 years ago

OK........

A little about me. I love cottage, antique, old homes, dark wood, white cabinets. . .

I'm so torn. Our house now has dark stained cabinets with white laminate countertops. The house was built in 43, but the cabinets were added in 73.

I love the look of dark cabinets with white countertops. I also love the look of white cabinets with dark counters.

Our ceiling height is only 8 ft., so we are thinking we will take the cabinets to the ceiling. We've had 2 estimates right now, and I have a meeting this coming week with a cabinet maker in our area. We are on a budget. We are trying to stay within 9,000 for the cabinets and counters. My husband and I have decided to go for the cabinets we love and not worry too much about the counters because they can always be replaced. Our home will not be for resale. This is our "dream home". If you think this kitchen is small, you should see the one were in and have been in for 8 years. So, I'm so excited to have room to cook!

Here is a basic look at what our kitchen will look like. I think I've decided not to stagger the cabinets, but put them all to the ceiling, with crown molding of course. The window above the sink will be at least 5 feet in length so a few of those cabinets won't be there. This was a quick draw up from Lowe's.

This is our sink. I've already purchased it.

Here is the look I'm looking for. Yes, two looks. . .I don't know which one to go with.

Dark with white counters.

White cabinets with dark.

I adore Arlosmom's kitchen! gorgeous!!!

I'm so torn! I'm afraid that in 5 years. . .10 years. . .even 1 year. . .I'll be so disappointed that I went with white, even though I'm so drawn to the cottage feel. Then, I look at my kitchen now. . .dark cabinets with white laminate, and I love it. . .even though the appliances in this house is mismatched!

Right now, we will have hardwood in the living room, dining room.........which is open to the kitchen, but tile in the kitchen?

Hubby is so afraid if we get hardwood in the kitchen that we will have a flood (I've heard about the FLOODSTOP on here) and have to replace and we won't be able to find the right color, so he's saying tile in the kitchen. . .seems a little harsh to me.

Anyways. It takes so long to post these HTML codes in here that I keep putting off posting, but you all are SO good, and I love reading what you come up with in your own kitchens, so I was wondering what you would do.

What should I do about my cabinets? What would you do?

What would you do about the countertops? Is there something you would recommend that won't be too much money? Lowe's estimated 1400 for laminate and 4300 for granite.

I also would like to have butcherblock on the island. . .but then again, I don't know if it will fit into the budget.

I'm a SUPER bargain shopper, and I have an expensive taste, but we live on a tight budget.....I'm a former third grade teacher with a Master's degree, but now staying at home with my precious boys!

Thank you for your help, and I can't wait to see what you say, or what you suggest that I do with the layout, etc.

Comments (21)