SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheesh

Pajamas

sheesh
12 years ago

This is sort of silly, but I am curious about what people sleep in. I remember my mother and grandmother always wore pretty negligees to bed, changing out of their day clothes just before bed, and wore lovely, feminine robes in the mornings. No terry cloth robes for them, ever!

I have never worn a negligee, although my gma gave me a beautiful one as a wedding present; hub and I always slept in the nude. I don't remember how or why we stopped, but when we moved into this house 17 years ago, we started wearing clothes to bed. Now, I get into my bedclothes around 9 pm, though we never go to bed before midnight.

I say bedclothes, because we don't sleep in traditional pajamas. Hub wears sweat pants with elastic at the ankles and a hooded, zippered sweatshirt over a t-shirt, and I wear a long sleeved t-shirt and knit pajama pants. Very glamorous, eh!

Lately I find myself wanting some beautiful nightwear, both for lounging in the evenings and for sleeping, but, frankly, I think I might feel silly! So, what do you folks wear?

Comments (38)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Mostly flannel or fleece pajamas in the winter--check out Pajamagram!

In summer, it is hotter, so I will wear a satiny nightie or tank with pants.

I could never sleep in the nude. I'd freeze! DH, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pajamagram

• CaroleOH
    12 years ago

I wear pajama bottoms - flannel in winter, lightweight cotton in summer with a tee shirt top. Sometimes if its really cold I wear a long sleeved fleece top.

I don't think of myself as a prude, but sleeping in the nude just feels wrong to me. Too exposed! Especially when my kids were young and I was up and and about in the middle of the night with a baby or sick kid.

• Related Discussions

video:The cute Goat Babies in Pajama's playing in barn

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh my gosh they are adorable. There's a house next door to my doctor's office that has a farm and lots of those little goats but they are the fainting goats. It is hilarious to see them all fall down in a dead faint at once. I was sitting in my car watching them play when one came running out from behind the barn and scared them and bam they all just fell down, out cold. In a few seconds they all woke up and started playing again. I had to keep watching and sure enough it happened again. I asked about them in the office and they said oh yes we love to watch them. Now when I go I make sure to park in the lot facing the farm. It was very entertaining lol. Our neighbors 2 houses down at our former home had some little ones for the kids ffa, they didn't faint but they did tricks. They would climb on top of their little house and the kids would hold up a hula hoop and they would jump through it. They did some really cute stuff. Darling little animals.
    ...See More

I need pajamas for mama.

Q

Comments (15)
    Beagles, I may get one of those night shirts for me, and found another gown on the site that might be nice for mom...even buttons she can fiddle with that don't render her indecent :) becky and eid, those are cute, I didn't see them when I looked on those sites the first time. Thanks! I love Lands End, I think I'll shop for me! Happy, I'm so tired of hitting the department stores, things are so scattered. I used to really enjoy browsing and combing, but these days I want what I want when I want it (which happens to be an old song, by the way) Some days I want all of one designer in one place, because I know who fits me, and other days I want all of one thing, like pajamas, in one place!
    ...See More

Nepeta Cat’s Pajamas - do you have it?

Q

Comments (7)
    I planted three in spring of last year here in upstate NY (5b) in all-day sun. They were a bit scruffy the first year, as to be expected when they were getting established, but they're blooming nicely for me this spring. They were definitely my earliest blooming Nepeta (starting around May 10 if I recall), about 2-3 weeks before Walker's Low, Purrsian Blue and Blue Wonder, and they've been going non-stop since then without any sign of fading, though I can't yet comment on re-bloom. My only (minor) complaint is that they seem to be a little bit more compact than advertised, topping out at about 10-12" in full bloom with about a 20-24" spread at the moment. They definitely seem better suited for edging a pathway or driveway, rather than in a mixed border situation where they might get lost or overwhelmed by more impactful plants.
    ...See More

Can You Buy Long Pajamas with Short Inseams?

Q

Comments (21)
    In my experience, as a rule, pajama pants are all ready "short",( high waters), just as a matter of course. So here in lies the problem. They are already short for the average customer so no one would think to offer them in lengths like regular pants. Safety has to have been the reason all along??? Glad you have a seamstress and that a few easy options were suggested here for those w/o one. It's an issue that will become more and more prevalent as those of us with sewing machines are a dying bread. It's to the point where I do wonder why they still teach sewing in Middle school as a required course....I would be totally frustrated if I couldn't sew up a simple seam/hem/rip.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    12 years ago

I wear cotton nightgowns, short ones. I can't stand long nightgowns because I get tangled in them. I've tried sleeping nude but the sight of my naked body in the morning is not a nice way to start the day. I also like to have something on in case the house catches on fire and I have to run out!

I'd rather throw on more blankets than sleep in warm clothes.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I'm with dedtired. I don't like alot of clothing to sleep in. I do like sleeping nude, especially with good feeling sheets. We don't do it as often as we used to, not sure why. We've never had to worry about children, but maybe we are just getting older. I love short gowns, the chemise type in slinky, satiny fabrics. The sets with little shorts. To lounge in I like flannel pj sets or satin ones and also knit ones. I cannot sleep in long pj pants though. Sometimes I change into pjs not long after I get home from work! I have several that are kind of tailored and look fine for someone to see me in. I change into something "less" to sleep in. I also have some cotton knit short gowns and sleep shirts that I like.

tina

PS - to the OP - I can remember getting into my mom's lingerie drawer as a child and playing dress-up. I think she is the cause of my love of lingerie. I especially remember all those pretty gowns that were ballerina length. I'd pretend I was waltzing. LOL

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I'm with dedtired. I wear short sleeveless knit gowns. I don't like pajama pants, long sleeves or long gowns because I will get tangled and/or hot in them. I don't change until I get into bed. I've never been very comfortable sleeping au naturale.

• golddust
    12 years ago

As a former river rat/skinny dipper, I'm not too conscious of my body. Skinny dipping was the best answer to that bikini line. Forget shaving, just get rid of the bikini! LOL!

I slept naked most of my life but the past several years I have adorned ratty Pj bottoms (the thinner, the better) and worn out tee shirts (the holier, the better).

Now Aimee is trying to rehabilitate me with my Xmas gifts this year. Two pair of different PJs. It worked for two nights before I ended up in the bottom to one set and the shirt to the other set. She is going to have a wall-eyed fit if
    she sees me doing this. I pay attention to dress during the day but at night I dress for comfort. DH loves my 'get ups'.

I do have a fine collection of vintage silk nighties and robes. Sometimes I put them on and roller skate through my house. Seriously, you asked. Gotta stay young in my heart!

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

My mother has always worn beautiful long night gowns and my Dad used to buy her a new one every Christmas. She's got some gorgeous ones.

But me, I have worn jersey shorts and ribbed tank tops for as long as I can remember. In the winter, I might switch to holey T-shirts and shorts, but add socks and a knit cap. (I had an x-rated T that I wore till my MIL threw it out...had holes in strategic places, DH loved it)(that was the LAST time my MIL did laundry at our house!) Summer I usually sleep nude, but keep my shorts & tank close by for when I get up. DH sleeps nude.

We both have nice bathrobes. DH wears his when he gets up, I usually use mine only after a shower.

• les917
    12 years ago

DH and I used to sleep in the nude before the kids arrived. After that, I preferred to have something on while sleeping, especially when I was breastfeeding and up several times in the night with the boys.

Now I sleep in some lightweight cotton sweat pants and sweatshirt, pretty much year around. These are not ever worn out of the house, tho they could be, because they are my pj's. DH has to have a fan blowing on him to be comfortable sleeping, and I hate the feeling, so I need to be covered to avoid the chilled feeling. Plus, I am a nightowl and up late, late into the night, so I prefer being able to change out of street clothes and put on something comfy about 10:30 PM that I can hang out in the rest of the night, both while I am up and when I go to bed.

Never have liked anything with a satin feel or nylon stuff, so most of the fancy negligees that I got as shower gifts were never worn.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I only wear short satin, can't stand the tangle of long and I love the feeling of silk or satin plus it's so easy to move in bed. Even when it's cold, I'm hot and only use one blanket.

• leel
    12 years ago

I have slept in my skin since I was a kid--and that was a LONG time ago. I've used clothes to bed only when in the hospital, and took those off at night. My DH doesn't wear anything either.

• User
    12 years ago

I wear short light cotton nightgowns. The heat of flannel, fleece or the new microfiber would be way too warm. I just bought one of those soft microfiber robes for myself. I've never been a robe person but needed it so I could take the puppy outside. Now I wear it all morning long (I'm in it now! ;c) Very cozy.

My mother used to wear those silky long nightgowns in soft feminine colors. In winter she had a chenille bathrobe that made cuddling with her feel warmer and safer than it already was.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I went from years of beautiful gowns to "very" casual. Sort of started when retired. In the winter I wear light weight thermal underwear, 2 sizes larger than norm for roomy and extra length. Now comes with a bit of style, lasts longer and is so much less expensive than real pajamas. Tis' cold here, but I still leave a window open an inch for fresh air at night, unless the wind hits or a major storm is at hand. In the summer it is elastic waist shorts and a big Tshirt. The casual of all has me in nightwear after dinner...comfy and do not care.

• camlan
    12 years ago

In the summer, very thin, light, cotton knit tank top and capri-length PJs. I find they are cooler than sleeping nude, because they absorb the sweat and keep bits of me from sticking to other bits of me. (No air conditioning.)

In the winter, flannel or heavy cotton knit PJs, with a tank top under the PJ top. I wake up at night if I get cold, and we keep the heat at 58F at night, so in really cold or windy weather, I wear a silk long-sleeved undershirt under an old cashmere cardigan, plus flannel PJ pants. Hey, it's silk and cashmere!

I get ready for bed about an hour before I'm going to bed--I find this allows me to wash and brush up and deal with the day's clothes before I'm so tired that I decide not to floss my teeth and to just dump all my clothes on the floor.

Like Sherrmann, I'd like to have some pretty sleepwear. It just all looks too hot for summer and way to cold for winter.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

I'm very particular about my sleep attire. If I get overheated at night I wake up with nasty headaches. And I won't wear synthetics ever. That's always been true but as I've gotten older and dealt with night sweats and hot flashes, natural fibers are even more important.

Years ago I found the perfect nightgown at Macy's and I stock up whenever I can find them on sale. They are 100% cotton, just above knee length and have adjustable spaghetti straps. So, so comfortable. Right now I've got nine and I rotate them--I wear a fresh one each night.

My husband sleeps in his underwear, tighty whities. He sleeps very cold, always has. So he has blankets and quilts piled on, even in summertime. I start out with a sheet over me and usually kick that off sometime in the night. We both sleep MUCH better apart :).

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Since I live in an old drafty house I sleep in flannel pajama's with an electric blanket. I turn the heat down to 55 at night, brrrr.

In summer I shed the blankets and flannels and either wear a short spaghetti strap above the knee gown or white eyelet cotton long low cut gown. Since I look like Elmer Fudd in the winter in summer I want to feel like a woman.

I've always admired women that were comfortable with sleeping in the nude. I've tried, but I end up putting at least my underwear back on.

Oh, I remember when women use to wear negligees and baby dolls. I remember when my mom would wear silky Vanity Fair night gowns and robes. I'd see them in the laundry basket all folded and pastel.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Sleeping is rather hellish for me anyway, what with hot flash-induced night sweats/chills, but I'm most comfortable in something made of a breathable natural fiber. I do sometimes sleep "au naturel" if I'm really overheating, but I'm not entirely comfortable doing so for some reason. Lately I've at least been going to bed in cotton long-sleeved pajamas (whether they stay on all night long or not is another matter entirely). I love these from Garnet Hill:

• User
    12 years ago

I always wear all cotton pajamas. I can't sleep in a gown. Even a short one. I feel like it twists around me during the night. Plus, in the winter I need to have my legs covered. I used to buy them at Victoria Secret, but they were expensive and didn't last. Now I buy them at Target! They are all cotton, and they last and last. I wash them a lot.

The first thing I do when I get home from work during the week is go put my PJs on. I hate being home and in clothes. Not sure why. I like being very comfy in the house. On the weekends, my usual attire is Victoria Secret yoga pants and big sweatshirt (t-shirt or tank in summer). I love the yoga pants. So comfy, and I find they are very flattering.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

I wear mens cotton lounge pants/pj bottoms because I have to have pockets and women's pjs rarely have them. I wear them with a long sleeve (3 of the seasons) or 3/4 sleeve (in summer) cotton tee. During the coldest part of winter I change to mens flannel pj bottoms and if it's really cold I might change to a thermal tee instead of the usual tee.

I do try to co-ordinate the color of my tee with the plaid of the pants. Gotta make some effort. All year round, I need to start the night with socks but they are mostly kicked off by morning.

I don't put on my pjs until it's bedtime. If I need to get comfy before bedtime, I change into some nicer sweatpants (how's that for an oxymoron?). Once I was wearing them and a sister said "Those are sweatpants? They look so nice." so I choose to believe they don't look too bad for hanging around the house. I don't wear them out in public unless it's to go to the gym. It's one of my (many) quirks; I think it's fine for others to wear sweat or yoga pants out of the house, I just can't do it. I think of Clinton Kelly when I see someone wearing flannel lounge pants out in public. He said "get dressed, I had to."

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Like Auntjean sleeping is hellish for me too. Sleeping used to be in the nude in an unmade bed, and then came family. I still can't stand to sleep with the covers tucked in at the end. I can't wait for my husband who is an early riser to get up so I can lie across the bed in the opposite direction so the top of my head is facing the window, which is bliss. Lately I have taken to wearing my husband's big white tee shirts to bed. If I happen to by chance grab a nightgown husband reads that as a signal.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I'm here to confess that I just returned from a day out with DD (shopping, lunch, Nutcracker) and immediately put on my flannel pj bottoms and a sweatshirt. I looove being in sweats or pj's and although I do usually try to hold out until after dinner, it is so cold here today, I am all about comfort and warmth right now.

My standard winter sleeping attire has always been flannel pajamas, top and bottom (love Pine Cone Hill pj's!). However, like Aunt Jen and others, now that I have reached my, ahem, "mid to late" 40s, I often wake up sweating in the middle of the night. I. Hate. This. So I recently went out and bought lighter cotton pajamas, and a fleecey bathrobe that I can wear over them before bed and in the morning before I get dressed. Or -- I wear a t-shirt under my flannels so I can remove layer(s) when I start getting hot at 2 am.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I have a thing about not wearing men's t-shirts. I just thiink that I look really bad in them, so I can't even wear them while I am sleeping. One time my husband and I were on an overnight trip and I forgot my nightgown. He offered me one of his t-shirts, which I put on, but I felt so hideous I took it off and slept topless.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Wellll....as one of the few(??) Guys here-

For a loooongg time now, I've slept "in the buff". Once in a while, a pair of light/casual gym-shorts type of stuff.
    DW usually likes a "spaghetti-strap"/mid-thigh type of sleeper.

The pic of the jammies that AJ shows make me nauseous...;-)
    I would do all I could to hide those from DW!
    (again....;-))

Faron

• natal
    12 years ago

Jill, I loved those VS pjs! Had a few pair. Now I'd find them too confining. These days my preference is ballerina length cotton gowns.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

terriks,
    Your dislike of men's tees is kinda funny. We all have our quirks I guess. I know I have a million of them and only a few are rational. My tees are women's tees, the bottoms are men's.

I have joined the hot-at-night club, and not in the fun way that my DH might enjoy. But I'm still mostly cold all night so when I do get hot it's enough to briefly toss off the top blanket, and occasionally all the covers (I have both a cotton and a wool blanket on the bed for winter), for a minute or two before I pile them back on. My DH is probably cold from the breeze I create with all my blankets flipping off and back on all night. Luckily, I have never been drenched in sweat like I hear so many others mention. I do miss sleeping soundly through the night. Even if I'm not too hot, there are always some periods during the night that I'm awake. Back in the day (when I was 50), I would go to sleep and not wake until it was time to get up.

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Faron, that's hilarious! My DH would hate those jammies too. In fact, he despises my favorite pj's, which aren't much different from the photo I posted, except I've had them for years so they're quite ratty (thus super comfy). (Actually the ones I really like from Garnet Hill are an aqua fan pattern, so not quite as garish as those pictured.) DH buys me "sleepwear", but it's never anything I'd ever actually sleep in.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

LOL Faron!!

We all have our dislikes. I do not like sweats and feel completely dowdy in them. I do have a couple of fleece jacket/cardigans and a fleece vest I will wear. You will never, ever see me in sweat pants. I do love yoga pants though. Right now I have on yoga pants and a 3/4 sleeve tunic type v-neck tee.

Oh and I hate sleeping in my undies or socks. I cannot stand to have my feet covered!

tina

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

AJ, I think the pajamas in the pic you posted are cute as a button! The hem of the pants is so cute. Dh would think he'd died and gone to heaven if I showed up in those! I mean, that aqua ensemble is actual sleepwear, so at our house, that would be pretty alluring. No Victoria's Secret selection would be necessary to make an impression! (I dress much like Shermann's DH for bedtime! LOL!)

Yes Shermann, instead of some convenient combination of soft, worn-out clothing which would (theoretically) allow me to spring from bed for a round of midnight lawn raking, I agree that "real" sleep duds would be a refreshing change!

• Faron79
    12 years ago

This is very funny and kinda cute!!

Sorta surprised people are volunteering what they sleep in....or...>> DON'T sleep in! Yeah, many men would despise the "dowdier" type of PJ's.

Had to laugh @ AJ's line about VS "Sleepwear"!!!
    As a GUY, it's hard NOT to like that stuff...for "sleeping"....

;-)

Midnight lawn-raking....WTH?!?!?

Faron

• golddust
    12 years ago

LOL, Faron. I like you a ton but knew from the start we'd never make a good match... Aunt Jenn, I own those PJs.

Go Garnet Hill!

• User
    12 years ago

My pjs usually are those slouchy VS pink boyfriend fit pants and a bigger t shirt. The t shirt can't be too big or too small. I will also wear those pants to the gym or in public on occasion.

I have a few actual pj pants but most are a bit too cutesy in color/design for me (gifts). I don't care for the matching tops of some or don't HAVE matching color tops. I end up looking like a mismatched mess, lol. I don't consider myself cheap but I am with certain things. When it comes down to it, I can't bring myself to spend money on pjs, lol.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I usually get up several times during the night -dog needs to tinkle, I can't sleep. etc. so like to be covered but beyond that, I like practically nothing and it must be something silky. Never flannely or knit anything so usually short, sleeveless silky type things but not so wispy that the straps will rip. And always feminine. I don't like the mens t shirt thing either and never wear sweats, don't own any but do have some fleece jackets for yard work. Do like yoga type pants for lounging.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Yesterday I couldn't figure out why a distinction was being made between sweat pants and yoga pants. ("I never wear sweats", "I do not like sweats".)

But then my sister came down in 'sweat' pants, some sort of shiny fabric with white stripes up the legs and a brand logo. I thought "aha, that must be what the others think of when they think 'sweat' pants".

My 'sweat' pants are cotton/spandex knit, no stripes or swooshes or designs, straight legged but almost boot cut. Not form fitting but not baggy, no elastic at the ankle, no snaps up the sides.

So even though it isn't necessary, let me clarify, I don't wear basketball team style sweat pants, I wear a nice, neat pant that some might consider a yoga pant. I don't want you thinking I'm sitting around in shiny pants, waiting to get call into the game.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

LOL hhireno! What I call sweat pants are same as sweatshirt material - fleece. Some have the elastic around the ankles, some don't. What you are referring to - I call "track" pants or athletic pants. Fleece sweat pants are heavier - and to me - bulkier. To me, they are not attractive on anyone other than the thinnest. Sweats just make me feel dumpy!! I'm warm natured too, so I'd burn up in them.

Yoga pants are completely different too. I think they flatter more people, they are very comfy, great for exercising but also for lounging, or dressing casual. Yoga pants usually have a wider (sometimes fold over) waistband. Sometimes the band is curved a bit in the front, which is flattering. Many yoga pants will have a leg with a slight bit of flare. I'm not sure what to call the pants you are wearing, but not sweats, not yoga pants. Not that it matters - if you like them, go for it! Just because I don't like "sweats" doesn't mean others don't. It's personal choice.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

The last time I slept in the nude was in college. We were in bed, dh was studying, I was asleep..completely nude. Then the tornado sirens went off and he woke me up and took me to the closet for shelter. We started laughing because if anyone found us dead, I'd be in the nude. Never again!

Summer is shorts and a tee. Winter is flannel bottoms and a tee.

I never sleep in sweats unless we're having an arctic blast though.

Tina, I love the look of sweats! My favorite outfit is a white sweatshirt with navy sweatpant, with white tennis shoes. lol. I wear that a lot when I need to do little errands. But where I live, sweats is a common outfit.

• natal
    12 years ago

Hhireno, great description! All I could think of was Sue Sylvester.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

This is what I think of for sweatpants:

• tinam61
    12 years ago

That's it Terri - although I do see them without elastic at the ankles.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Whoa, okay, I don't wear anything like those or what Sue Sylvester wears. I forgot all about her and she is the perfect example of sweats. I don't even see that other style pant at my gym. Can you still buy something like that?

My fabric (in the pants I sweat in) is the same as the yoga pants I've seen in stores so to me they are interchangeable. The only difference is the waistband, it doesn't dip. Maybe they are yoga pants but since I don't do yoga I never thought of them as such. But I still don't wear them out in public besides at the gym.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio