SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_a_gw

Closet Laundry Install Done (Asko)

steve_a
14 years ago

We have finished our laundry machine installation in a (small) first-floor closet so Im sharing the details and lessons learned. Our original laundry room is in the basement and our bedroom is on the second floor. As we plan to stay in this house for many years, the multiple flights of stairs are becoming more of an issue. This change should make our lives easier and may help with resale eventually. The original machines will remain installed in the basement, to be used for large items.

We first considered the Bosch Axxis compact and Maytag compact machines. The closet is in a spare bedroom (now a den), and isnÂt very large. The door opening is 48". So we needed 24" machines, and did not want to stack them. Partly because of helpful feedback from my prior post, we decided to eliminate the Maytags. With further research, I found the Asko models and their pricing was somewhat comparable to the Bosch. We have a 7 yr old Asko dishwasher which we like. Other factors in favor of the Asko: ability to vent the dryer at rear, right or left (Bosch only rear and left, which would have been difficult for us.), and the fact that Asko offered black and titanium as well as white for colors. WeÂd just finished putting quite a bit of thought and work into decorating this den, and my wife thought that white machines in the closet would be very jarring. We had some concerns over the capacity of the washer. Bosch claims 3.4 cu ft, to AskoÂs 2.7. However, as stated in my previous post, the Bosch and Maytag (2.4) washers looked so similar in drum size that IÂm skeptical of BoschÂs numbers. So we decided on the Asko W6222 washer and T712 dryer, in black.

The closet backs up to a bathroom, so the plumbing work was possible. The right side wall of the closet is an outside wall, so the dryer vent run is very short and straight (but through brick). A floor-mounted drain pipe, water supplies, dryer vent and an emergency pan, drained to the outside, were installed by the plumber. The machines are both 220v and the washer plugs into the dryer, so only one 220v, 30 amp outlet was required. We opted to have an additional 120v outlet installed at the rear of the closet for convenience.

I opted to install the machines myself, after delivery by the dealer. There were two problems with the installation: I had to reverse the door swing on the dryer, which is possible. However, the lower hinge bracket just would not work as instructed. I got it to work (modified), but I need to talk to Asko about it. The emergency pan under the washer is about 2" high. Getting it up and over the front lip in that tight space is going to be difficult, so the washer is temporarily installed without the pan. We will get this done one way or the other.

All that being said, itÂs a pretty nice setup and we are happy with it. The machines are completely within the closet, and we have a new curtain which can be closed to cover them. Our initial experience with the first loads of laundry were fine, once we got over the long washing times. All of the loads came out clean (and dry from the dryer), using 1.5 tablespoons of either powder (from the sample supplied with washer), or liquid Tide HE classic. The capacities of the machines seems fine for us. WeÂve read the washer guide carefully, and we will eventually figure out the best way to sort and consolidate loads. Sorry if this is too long. Questions are welcome.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm