SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Kitchen Table between island & living area? Feedback?

babs711
13 years ago

We are building a house and starting from scratch. Our living/kitchen/eating areas will be open to the back yard. I've seen living areas where the kitchen is open to the living room and the kitchen table is between the two and they are beautiful. Because our house will be longer than it is wide (because of the lot), right now he has in this scenario these rooms running the length of the house, so when you're in the kitchen looking into the living room, you will be facing the back of the house. Here are some examples of rooms with tables between the two rooms.

Example (firsthouse_mp's kitchen):

segbrown:

susanandmarkw:

{{gwi:1601116}}

I think this was from a magazine. I can't find a source:

{{gwi:1601117}}

But for some reason when I've pictured our kitchen in in my mind, the kitchen and living areas run the width of the house and are in a rectangle (open to the back of the house) with the island facing the living area (same as in previous scenario) and kitchen table on that same backyard plane recessed further into the backyard to the side of the kitchen (not between the two rooms) kind of like this from nats_MD but with the table area a little bigger...

or like this from jlynn17:

{{gwi:1601119}}

gail0202:

houzz.com:

{{gwi:1601121}}

This also makes the kitchen and living room closer to each other I think? In scenario two, the kitchen and kitchen table area are together on the right side with the kitchen table in the back of the house. If you're in the kitchen and facing the living room, you're turned to the side of the house and if you face the kitchen table, you're facing the back windows. This and living rooms are both open to the back of the house and run the entire width of the back of the house.

We have to start making these decisions now as it changes the structure of the house (some other rooms) as well as the stair placement, etc.

I'm sorry for the lengthy descriptions above. I hope things make sense. In a nutshell, I'm wondering what you're feelings are about your kitchen table (I'm guessing rectangular would be the best bet) being between your island and your living area or do you prefer the kitchen table to be off to the side. Why? I need some outside perspective as I've never thought about having a table between the two before. It's funny how changing the layout in one way affects things. Thanks so very much!

Comments (11)