SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chckandco

info on operating costs costs of water coil heat

16 years ago

When we built our home 15 years ago, the builder suggested using an oversized water heater to supply water for a hot water coil forced air heat because it was very economical. (He has it in his home too.) Since we moved from the south to VA, the climate is somewhat different and we had no basis for anything. We have propane as the fuel souce for the water heater, and having no frame of reference never realized until now with some other problems, that we seem to be have been using (or losing) at least twice as much propanne as we should have expected to.

We never even thought to ask our builder what his usage was until yesterday, with all this other invetigation. Big surprise! Now I am trying to accurately determine what the usage should be in our situation. I say usage because of course costs for fuel has varied over the years. We are just the two of us and started out with not only the 75 gallon water heater but also a gas dryer and a gas stove. The dryer went 3 years ago, with no drop in usage. The stove went a year and a half ago, again with no drop in usage. We do not use hot water for clothes washing, run the dishwasher only every other day and have only two people showering.

Our usage (or loosage..) has consistently been 900 gallons a year, give or take a hundred. The builder on the other hand with his wife and four kids has had 1/2-3/3 that!

Can anyone PLEASE shed any light on this. We are now trying to determine whether there has been some leak in the underground line to the house f or 15 years(ugh) or what in order to know how to proceed with the next 15 years. We love the heat and the fact that we are using water htat is being heated anyway. Said water is only supposed to lose maybe 15% in the circulation back to the water heater, so this usage is way wrong. The problem is that this is avery rare kind of heating set up in residential and therefore there is no general buzz about it. The problem here is the gas or the wtaer heater, but the heater has not gotten anymore inefficient over the years, which was my first supposition, but our problem has been fro day one whatever it is. Any and all thoughts from anyone with experience with this kind of heating arrangement would be very appreciated!

Comment (1)