SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ojs2005

Help - Am I getting bad advice for my return line?

ojs2005
14 years ago

We just install heat/ac in my house. the first floor all has floor supplies and then 2 returns in the floor by the front door, and all the duct work goes to a furnace room in the basement.

the HVAC the return line is basically open completely into what will be my dropped ceiling for my very large basement (at least 40' long and 15' wide just the hallway). he is telling me that he does not need to connect this metal duct opening that is over the entrance to the furnace room directly to the 2 openings in the floor of my foyer for the air return line to work -- that this air can be pulled through my dropped ceiling into this open hole at the entrance of my furnace room. note that one foyer opening is in the ceiling about 7' away from the ducted return line over my furnace room and the other is in the ceiling about 15' away. s

so basically, this one opening would be sucking air not only indirectly from the floor openings, but also the entire space in my dropped ceiling in the basement -- and i don't understand how we could get proper suction for the first floor (not to mention, we'll be sucking the heat from the basement as well.

this sounds totally wrong to me -- shouldn't there be a metal channel directly connecting these floor returns in my foyer to the machine in the basement? or am i over-reacting? any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Comments (10)