SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

An Unexpected Benefit of Reading this Board

sail_away
16 years ago

I've been reading this forum for the last couple months with great interest. Our kitchen from the early-1990's could use some updating. Also, we tentatively plan to downsize in about five years or so, which will involve either buying a house and doing extensive remodeling (especially in the kitchen) or building a new home.

Because of the probability of our moving in the near future, I initially read this forum with thoughts of my new, "perfect" kitchen in mind. The more I read, the more dissatisfied I became with my current kitchen.

Then something changed. Over the past week, I've come to realize that I do have a very functional, comfortable kitchen right now. Yes, there are things I would change in the next kitchen, but if our plans would change and we end up remaining here, I realize that I could/would be perfectly content.

The cabinets are the heavily grained oak so popular in the 1990's, but they are solid, good quality cabinets, with full extension drawers. I have a "super susan" in my corner base cabinet; a 24" deep cabinet over the refrigerator, with side panels around it to give it the built-in look; a small but functional island; and a tall pullout pantry. With the help of Raehelen, I've finally found the perfect cabinet hardware to update my cabinets---after over ten years with no handles/knobs. As I mentioned in another thread, I just added a Never-MT to my soap dispenser.

I want to replace the countertop, possibly replace the sink (although I think I'll encounter stiff resistance from DH and I can live with the one I have now), install a Tapmaster, and put in new flooring. Once we do that, I feel like I could be quite happy with the kitchen if we end up staying here; or, conversely, it should help us to sell the house if we decided to move. Either way, we win!

Anyway, the point of this post is to say what a great forum this is. After viewing some of the fabulous kitchens you all have created, I could easily have come away discouraged that I have to put up with my "inferior" kitchen for at least a few more years. Instead, I was inspired to make a few changes that will help me fall in love with my kitchen all over again.

I'm still thinking and dreaming of a new, even better kitchen; but with the help of the practical advice and comments I've read here, I know I'll be happy with my more modest version.

Comments (12)