SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keepitoriginal

Reverting to Cast Iron Radiators

keepitoriginal
16 years ago

I've surfed the Internet high and low and have yet to find a SINGLE instance of someone doing what I propose: replacing newer hot water baseboards with old cast iron radiators.

I know it's insane, but I love old radiators. I'm considering buying a house in which the previous owners did what many people have done over the years: take the old radiators out and replace them with of hot water baseboard units. Problem is, I'm a stickler for authenticity. This is a 1920s house and the baseboard units are completely out of character with the place. I want the cast iron radiators back. They're long gone, of course, and I'd have to dig up radiators based on what I see in neighboring houses from this era. I can do this.

What I'm concerned about, however, is the plumbing. Can this be done? I'm willing to get the wider pipes and I realize this will cost some money. I'm OK with that. What is needed to do this type of reconfiguration? Can I find the original locations for the radiators by looking at the hardwood floors (which are now under carpet)? Is this whole idea completely unworkable from a plumbing perspective, or can this in fact be done?

Comments (12)