SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdeepika

Granite color with Natural Oak Cabinets

11 years ago

I am in the process of remodelling my kitchen with granite counter-top and some appliances.
Cabinets are Natural Oak. Cooktop and Sink will be replaced with stainless steel. Some
pictures of the cabinets are attached.

I have been to several granite yards and the designs/patterns/colors are overwhelming.
Samples were of little use as it never looked quite the same as the slab. Even pictures were
not much helpful to finalize. After about 4 months of going up/down on the yards, there are
2 distinct flavors of slabs (Magma/Noble Gold/Golden Thunder [medium to darker shades],
Golden Crystal/White Spring/Typhoon Bordeaux [neutral to light shades]). More or less, these
are some of the shortlisted colors that looked gorgeous and feel that these would suite the
current cabinets and may blend in with backsplash. I am leaning more towards medium to
darker shades while my husband wants to go in for neutral to lighter shades. For the
backsplash, we are still debating on granite/tiles.

Any suggestion/advice on granite colors + backsplash colors that would complement each
other and be more appealing with Natural Oak.

RD

This post was edited by rdeepika on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 0:36

Comments (22)

• 11 years ago

I'd re-asses doing granite in this kitchen. Looks like it's about 20 years old or so? And I don't see any drawers anywhere. That's a functional issue. No crown molding. Lots of room to catch dust on top. Arched doors on top and bottom. Putting granite on top of those cabinets locks you into those cabinets. You can't pull them out later if you decide that the contrast with the new shiny stone doesn't do them any favors. I think there's a full kitchen remodel happening here in less than 10 years. Maybe sooner if you don't spend money on stone. If you just really really want to get rid of the tile, and I certainly would, then go down to Lowes or HD and pick up a couple of slabs of stock laminate counter. It's really improved in looks over the laminate of old. And pick something dark to contrast with the oak.

• 11 years ago

I like the idea of combining your light oak cabinets with a dark granite. Right now you have a light countertop/backsplash, so it might be fun to do something different, and I think it's a beautiful combination. Any of the ones you've chosen would be lovely. You're right that the slabs all differ quite a bit, so you'll have to judge based on the exact slab that would be installed. Looks like the cabinets are in good shape, so it's reasonable to just do the countertops. It will give your kitchen a completely new look!

• Related Discussions

Maple Natural Stained Cabinets & Golden Oak Floors...Keep, or Not

Q

Comments (3)
    I still (hanging my head, shame faced) don't know how to upload photos. But I will get someone to help me and post a few. Would be best to take them in daylight. fori, having taken part in DD's reno I do know how labor intenstive it is to paint cabinets properly. DD & SIL painted them in his Dad's home and later in their own. They have a large garage space (w/ heat) & a good sprayer. I helped with the priming, sanding, & poly stages with the ones for their home. Lots of steps & drying time between but the results were so worth it. I know I'll go bananas during the process, having everything out of order. But I could get through that. I just have to decide if a change is in order. I'm so used to seeing it as it is, I can't be objective. That's why I'd like opinions from the folks here.
    ...See More

Cabinets for natural oak floors

Q

Comments (8)
    I have , natural finish, with medium stained birch cabinets. I added the floor to the kitchen to match the rest of the house. My cabinets are the same color as my neighbors natural cherry cabinets, which have darkened over the years. I find the floor changes color through out the day, as the light changes, sometimes it's , sometimes it's . I think whatever cabinets you put in will look fine with the floor. For me, the floor is a non-issue, it's the floor. It's the same floor in the living room and dining room, and I have different woods in each room, and it looks fine. With carpets, it's not something you'll notice. Good luck with your remodel.
    ...See More

what color countertop with natural oak cabinets

Q

Comments (3)
    What are your plans for appliances, backsplash, wall color, what is the target renter, and what is expected in that price range?
    ...See More

Countertop Help!! Natural Cherry Cabinets w Light Oak Floor

Q

Comments (3)
    Personally, with those cabinets and that floor (both beautiful) I would go very light so as to avoid brown overload. I do not have specific recommendations, though. I don't know granite well. I did look at pictures of White Princess mentioned above and it looks a bit cool for your woods.
    ...See More
  • 11 years ago

I've been looking for granite on and off for a couple of years and I just can't seem to find "the one", so I know how you feel. I think any of the ones you mentioned (light or dark) would look good. It's just a matter or what look you're going for. Most of them are kind of busy, so I'd probably go with a tile backsplash instead of granite.

Have you looked at the finished kitchen blog for ideas?

Hollysprings - Not everyone can afford to do a full remodel and I don't understand how not having drawers is a functional issue. I know it's "in" to add drawers when remodeling or building a new kitchen, but people have functioned with cabinets only for a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens

• 11 years ago

I liked the lighter less busy granites like Golden Crystal with your cabinets. If you are also putting in a new backsplash, you may want to consider how a busy backsplash will play against a busy swirling granite.

What backsplash are you leaning toward?

If you are keeping the black wall oven, I would consider a black granite too. Have you looked at photos of completed kitches with your color and style of cabinets to see what looks best overall? It's SO hard to tell with those little samples.

Renee

• 11 years ago

Drawers are a functional deficiency. It's much more difficult to retrieve items from shelves in a base cabinet than having a drawer glide out and bring it to you. It's NOT a fad. It's become popular because of the aging population. No one wants to get on their hands and knees to find the crockpot.

If the OP is doing this for their own enjoyment and doesn't mind spending 4K on stone, as an expense just for that enjoyment, then that's fine. People spend money on personal luxuries all the time that don't do anything but depreciate. But if this is being done with the idea of it increasing the home's value or potential resale down the road, then it's financially a money loser. Most people who will come into that kitchen will want to do some type of remodel to it. And the OP may want to do some type of remodel to it in a few years. And, they'll be locked into those cabinets and configuration because they spend a great deal of money on stone. That's a case of approaching a project backwards.

And, not every kitchen is a granite kitchen or a granite home. Laminate still has a place in the kitchens of America, and with the rest of the elements that are in view in this home, laminate would be more at home than stone would. And it would save about 3.5K that could be put to something else.

• 11 years ago

lol, spend 50k on a new kitchen renovation because it doesn't have enough drawers. sounds like someone doesn't live in reality or is a cash hungry kitchen designer. and to the original poster, the more I keep hearing it, laminate is the next big kitchen counter again as it is considered a green product, so I'd consider it against the granite option.

• 11 years ago

I would definitely put in laminate and then if you decide to do a total remodel later you won't feel like you have wasted a large sum of money. I would never put granite in as I know that a few years later I would want to change that kitchen, but that's me not you. There are more laminates available today to fit every decor. I considered laminate but decided against it since I wanted a certain type of under mount sink.

• 11 years ago

If you love your cabinets, layout, flooring, etc...and don't plan to change anything for as long as you live there, then get the stone of your dreams. If, however, you think you might want new cabinets or a different layout down the road, then wait until then for your stone countertops and get laminate for now to freshen things up. I did just that about 16 years ago to our then 13 year old cheap builder grade kitchen--painted the cabs, new floor, new stock laminate, etc...that's all we could afford at the time...I have to say, redoing everything this time last year has made a world of difference, not only in looks. Hollysprings is totally right about drawers instead of cabinets. It's a tough call..only you can decide what's right for you. Personally, I would not spend $4,000 on granite to go over old cabinets.

• 11 years ago

I don't think the OP asked about drawers vs. cabinets.The cabinets look like they are in great shape, keeping what you have is always the greenest of solutions. Search finished kitchens. I think a medium to darker granite with black handles on the cabinets would look great.

• 11 years ago

We just put in a natural red oak kitchen with "gray Amazon" Silestone. I think it's a pretty combination. I have very busy backsplash tile and wanted omething somewhat plain for the counter. To my eye it's more brown than gray.

• 11 years ago

Something dark IF you are totally in love with the cabinets and plan to stay there for the next 20 years without doing a kitchen reno. If anything else is even remotely on the table, then stop and listen to the words of warning.

• 11 years ago

Our house is 14 years old and we have oak cabinets and we put in Silestone Black canyon quartz and changed the handles to brushed nickle. We also bought SS appliances and I have to say the darker quartz(it has black,cream and gray flecks in it ) looks nice with the oak cabinets.

• 11 years ago

Are the cabinets in excellent condition? Do you love them? Then decide if you want to spend thousands on granite or just face lift with laminate and maybe a new backslash, or wait until you are ready to spend big bucks. If you are handy, you can retrofit lower cabinets with pull outs. I have a good friend with the same cabinets. They are almost 20 years old and in good condition. I don't know the name of her granite, but it has lots of gold and grey, cream and black. She even used the granite for the backsplash. Then they added a pullout under the sink and in the cabinet for small appliances. It worked out very well.

• 11 years ago

Hi RD,
    I agree with gmp3 and some of the other posts that a darker granite will look better with your cabinets. Maybe oil rubbed bronze hardware? Your cabinets appear to be in good shape and there are ways to create pull out shelves in your base cabinets if it becomes necessary. I live in a large community where the builder built us all the same cabinets with sugar pine,to the ceiling with heavy crown. Most of us have the same stain and some have been painted out, but very few have replaced them over the last 30 years. It is strange, every house exterior is different but nearly everyone has the same cabs! There are so many choices and you can get easily overwhelmed, but try to have fun with the process.

• 11 years ago

I am so glad to get all the opinions and suggestions. This is kind of a unique kitchen where many of the storage areas are huge. Kitchen has a U shape counter (11ft x 11ft x 11ft) (depth 2ft). Opening is towards the nook which has an island 4ft x 5ft with drawers and 2 cabinets with shelf. The cabinets are in good shape and just needs to be polished. Under the counter, the first layer are drawers with 2 of the drawers haing sliding cutting boards. Next to the cooking range, there is another revolving storage (each side 3ft X 5ft x 5ft) - (total 4 sides) all with drawers (Never seen this revolving storage in any of the houses but gives lot of room to store) (too big to clean so left it unused). Likewise, next to refrigerator, there are 2 storage areas adjacent to each other (each 5ft x 5ft) will shelves and cabinets with adjustable shelves (Have seen 1 storage area but never seen 2). Kitchen in itself is very large and was really amazed to see such a large kitchen. I only took a picture of 1 section just to bring out the color of the cabinets. Since there are lots of cabinets + drawers, cabinets above/below the counter will just be refaced and polished.

• 11 years ago

I think either would look nice with your cabinets. I've had a real light counter & now a darker granite with my similar colored birch cabinets. I also did a minor redo on a kitchen older than yours & I love it. We removed a peninsula with hanging cabinets above (used them on another wall) and added an island and hardwood floors. Only have one bank of drawers and some small drawers in the new island and I could care less. My layout was mostly fine & I now have more storage than before. Don't know if I will ever do anything more with the kitchen or not, but I plan to die here. Maybe doors in a few years or who knows? My granite with the sink was $2400. As others have said, not everyone needs or wants a current style kitchen. Some of us have other things that are more important. No one ever died from not having a new kitchen. I cook in mine 6-7 days a week and love the new functionality. All new cabinets wouldn't have added that much wow for me for the money. To each his own. Good luck with your choice!

• 11 years ago

I like the floor in that kitchen! My first thought was Verde peacock or butterfly, but I waffled when I went back and looked at the floor. The light looks great in there.

We are going to have to see some pictures with some samples, that's all there is to it!!

Nancy

• 11 years ago

rdeepika--can we see more photos(just b/c we love photos) ? Instead of refacing could you do a gel stain and put any money savings toward the counter ? There have been many gel stained kitchens here.

• 11 years ago

rdeepika
    Your kitchen sounds cool. Can we see more photo of the unique storage areas?

Determine what you are doing with the cabinets first then pick the granite. Do you want to change the doors style? The color? or just clean and polish? When that step is done take a door with you to look at granite.

• 11 years ago

I think dark gray looks good with golden oak and tempers the warmth a bit. I put in a dark gray tile floor in one of my bathrooms and it really smartens up the orange-y oak vanity.

I kept my 20-yr old builder's grade oak cabinet boxes and had a budget-friendly facelift (new doors, paint). It completely changed the look of my kitchen. My layout was fine. Yes, I have cabs on the bottom, not drawers, and two blind corners. One is no problem, the other is vexing, but it isn't the worst thing in my life. If I hadn't read it in GW, I wouldn't even have known that I should have drawers on the bottom. Note: I do wear drawers on my bottom.

If you like your kitchen as is and just want a nice new counter, get what you like as long as you can afford it. Or better yet, you can afford it even if down the road you might want to redo your kitchen completely and scrap the new counter. Sometimes we're willing to take that risk. Or, if you can get a fab new look with laminate, think of all the $$$ you'll save.

• 11 years ago

I think of golden oak as a humble wood, so I like a humble countertop with it. In past discussions of new countertops on old oak (and GW gets this all the time), it's been pointed out that oak has a very strong grain pattern that fights countertops with strong movement. Your floor tile also has a lot of movement.