SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

range dilemma

victoriajane
15 years ago

All along I've assumed I will be purchasing pro-style, stainless steel appliances. While this is still true for the dishwasher and fridge, I have come to realize that a pro-style range doesn't fit in with my vision of the kitchen (and then I feel pitiful for even caring what my oven looks like, but there we are.) In my most treasured inspirational photos, the range is always black, vintage or European style. Often the beautiful range is combined to great effect with a very utilitarian looking stainless backsplash and hood. (think prettykitty's lacanche kitchen, my favorite on gardenweb.) Now, I am not in the market for a lacanche. Budget is obviously a consideration, but so is space. We have left room only for a 36" range. Most of the French and European style ranges have several tiny ovens, and in a 36" width, would be utterly dysfunctional for me. The Italian ranges, such as Bertazzoni and Fratelli, have 36" models with one large oven, and the La Cornue Fe Albertine does as well. None of these ovens are as large as the ones in the 36" pro-style range. My question: will I care? will I notice? I do like to bake, and we do roast pretty often, but can't I do these things in a 4 cu feet oven or will I regret not having 5.6? For some reason I have become fixated on oven size. Of course there are other considerations, but the big BTU debates such as the ones over on the appliance forum are not especially relevant to me: I like to cook but am by no means professional or even gourmet. The big burners seem almost like overkill (but I'm willing to listen to arguments as to why they are not.) Besides size, service is very important to me. Mostly I want a reliable range, but if something goes wrong I want to be able to get service/parts easily. I don't know if this is the case with the foreign brands. I definitely want a gas cooktop but can go gas or electric on the oven. If I went pro-style I would almost surely get the American Range . It is very well reviewed, has a stainless steel top which I like, and a huge oven. It also comes in colors (door only) similar to the Bluestar. So honestly, do you think an AR in black would satisfy my yearning for a beautiful black range, or should I go with my heart and search for European models only? The other one I am considering is a Heartland Legend. Not pro or European, but attractive and huge and appears to be built like a tank. And before someone suggests it, a true vintage refurbished range would be ideal, but I just don't have it in me. Not right now. So, WWYD?

Comments (12)