SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkmm_gw

tough decision, help

pinkmm
11 years ago

I need to buy a "new" washer (and by new, I mean new to me, I am pretty sure all I can afford is second hand)

I have had my current machine for 23yrs- yes that's right, it's been in near constant use for over 23yrs! (and I can prove it, I still have the sales receipt) It was the very fist new machine I"d even bought.

MY previous machine was a used 8yr old GE machine that lasted me a good 6+ years and then was given to a family of 7 who used it for another 4 yrs. til it rusted out, but the motor was still good!)

they don't make machines like that any more, sigh

THat Kenmore was the best purchase I've ever made!

sadly they don't make anything even remotely like this machine any more (Kenmore 70 series heavy duty machine) Nor the older GEs, from what I've heard.

I would like to know the names/model numbers of the machines that people currently have that have been running without needing expensive repairs, for at least 8 yrs

(I am spoiled, I know, I expect a machine to last at least 10 and will be disappointed if I don't get at least 12 yrs or more out of one)

For what they cost, this doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but like I said, I've been so spoiled LOL

if you have a machine that you bought in i9n 2004 or EARLIER, that is still running well and never required any major repairs, can you please let me know the brand and model number?

I know this is not a scientific way to research machines but I do know that I am not alone when it comes to the longevity of my Kenmore, those 70 series machines have been known to last for up to 28yrs

(keeping the one I have is not an option for where I am moving to)

I do prefer top loaders and since I"m on a tight budget, its not likely I'll be able to afford a front loader any way.

Aside from environmental concerns, the cost of water is not an issue for me and my electric rate is low, so that's not a major concern either.

However finding something that wont' need to be replaced in a few years, THAT is important to me

I know the second hand stores will have a lot of the lemon brands/models but they also get "scratch and dent" and take trades when someone is upgrading to a newer model, so I have hopes that I'll come across a good find.

I've got some time to look around, at least

thanks for any input,

pinkmm

Comments (6)