SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

Out of curiousity, what happens when AC compressor runs w/o fan?

parrothead_fa
13 years ago

Here's a little background... My wife and I have always enjoyed shutting off the AC and having our windows open on cooler, breezy evenings. (we live on the coast quite close to the sea)The house next door to ours has an aging, rough looking AC condenser that has always been aggravating to have to listen to because it sounds like a lawnmower without a muffler whenever it is running. Well, in the crummy economy, the house got bought and sold, and finally foreclosed, and hasn't been occupied in a couple years. Several months ago it seems a bank or someone else had some work done on it, and they locked it up months ago and haven't been back, but left the AC running. Long story short, this things been sounding rougher and rougher lately, and has been running nearly all the time, leading me to believe it's finally on its last leg. Recently the condenser fan has been running slower than usual, and finally stopped a couple days ago. Still, it chugs on, in fact, I think it's been running continuosly for about 72 hrs now like that. Can't be sure, because I've been away from home a lot, but it seems every time I'm in my den on that side of the house, I can hear it roaring away, (the fan still isnt turning) and everytime I'm coming or going it's running. It seemed extremely hot like the muffler on a car after a long drive the day I walked over and took a look and saw the fan had stopped. I'm actually kinda hoping it'll buy the farm soon so if they ever sell that place they'll have to put a new one in and I won't have to listen to that rattletrap anymore every time our windows are open.

Comments (2)