SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

It's a small world...

moonshadow
14 years ago

and getting smaller! Just how teeny can our gadgets and gizmos get? Do you wonder what kind of world of widgets there will be when we're older, or the next generation?

My mom loves to take photos. She has always had her basic 35 mm point & shoot nearby, it's like a journal to her. Last summer it broke, she really misses it. Ever try to shop for one? It's almost like trying to find a t-rex. Trying to find one with a big viewfinder is a hunt for the proverbial needle in a haystack. So I thought maybe a new digital for Christmas might be nice, right? Big LCD viewfinder, easy to use? Not. I took her to try some out. She can't manage the buttons, let alone see them. By the time she gets a decent grip her fingers have enveloped the whole thing. (Forget about complex menus, that's another story.) Finally found her a 35 mm (whew).

Love my 4 yr old digital, it still produces great pics, but most of the new models make it look like a brick.

I watch my nieces, with their cells attached like velco, fingers flying through the tiniest of keys, carrying on animated conversations in a language of acronyms. They could probably crank out a cellular term paper in the time it takes me to text "Luv u!" to them. ;)

Thin little micro cards smaller than a quarter hold full length movies. A powerhouse library of music can be stored on ipods smaller than a book of matches.

Sure, small does have its benefits. And big will probably never be back. But am curious what you think. Do you ever encounter frustrations with wee gadgets? Ever wonder if or when there will a stopping point for just how tiny things get?

Comments (9)