SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persnicketydesign

Another bid and more confused than ever.....

persnicketydesign
16 years ago

We will be building a new home and have received several bids for the HVAC system. Every single one is completely different from the one before it and I don't understand how they can vary so greatly. All of the subs have had their reasons for why they feel their solution is the best and say that they've run the load calcs. I really just don't get it and this is turning out to be the most difficult part of the project for me.

We live in central GA, so hot and humid is the norm here. The house is a 1 1/2 story ranch with 3097 SF of living space downstairs and 1191 SF of bonus areas upstairs. 3 bedrooms & 2 baths on one end with the MB, MBath, and laundry on the other. Main living areas in the middle. The house will be facing west on a crawlspace with a 75X60 footprint.

Most of the bids that I got were for 2 units, but the one below is for three. The cost is $14,787.00, which is within $2000 of all of the bids for 2 units. Sounded pretty good to me.

(1) 4-ton Ruud 13 SEER split heat pump-1st floor living space

(1) 2-ton Ruud 13 SEER split heat pump-2nd floor

(1) 1.5-ton Ruud 13 SEER split heat pump-Master suite

The one I got back today has 3 options listed, but only one unit per option. He said that there is no need for any additional units.

Option 1. 4 ton Bryant 13 Seer heat pump system with a single speed fan coil with 15 kw heatstrip. $7754.00

Option 2. The same as option 1, but with 14.5 SEER. $9218.00

Option 3. 4 ton Bryant 15.5 seer heatpump system with variable speed fan coil with 15 kw comfort heatstrips, thermidistat. $10,585.00

All of the bids are for labor, materials, venting (for range hood, dryer, bath fans), and thermostats. They also include the costs for the gas lines to the cooktop, fireplace, and outside grill.

Are 3 units overkill? Is it even possible for one unit to handle that amount of square footage or has this guy spent a little too much time with the freon? Saving $$$ would be nice, but not at the expense of problems down the road. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (2)