SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dixieman_gw

Did we make a mistake by removing ductwork to bathrooms?

dixieman
11 years ago

As part of a remodeling project for a 1920's house,, we removed a 1st floor wall that had the ductwork that supplied the heat and a/c for 2 upstairs bathrooms (the bathrooms are back to back). Because there didn't seem to be any other way to get heat/ac to these bathrooms (no vertical space to run in remaining 1st floor walls), we opted for baseboard heaters under the windows. During this unbelievably hot summer (we live in Ohio), we began to question the decision, as we then realized that we had lost the cooled air that previously ran to the bathrooms and our entire 2nd floor was almost unbearably hot during the evenings, even though we closed all of the vents on the 1st floor and had the 1st floor uncomfortably cold. We're going to try increasing the attic insulation to see if that helps to keep the house cool next summer.

Now that the temperature is cooling off, we've tried to use our baseboard heaters. They seem to take forever to heat up and barely generate any heat (although we have only turned them on in the morning for about 60 minutes before needing to leave for work. we haven't left them set on high for an extended period of time). Is electric baseboard heat a viable option? The units are TPI- Raywall 2' Stainless Steel element rod and Aluminum fins with Heating Capacity 1275 / 955 BTU and Wattage 281 / 375 Watts. They have thermostats that are mounted to the units that just go from Off to High (no degrees). The bathrooms are not large - one is 4'x7' (not including shower) and the other is 4'x7' (not including tub) and although they have new windows, the walls have minimal insulation. Based on our 60 minutes at high attempts, I can't imagine the baseboard units even beginning to make the room warm.

Am I just not letting them run long enough? Are they too small for the space? Is there something else we should have done? Is there something that we should be doing?

I really appreciate any thoughts and or suggestions.

Green arrows indicate where the units are installed (exterior wall, under windows)

From September 27, 2012

From September 27, 2012

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert