SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanthere_dunthat

Scavanger hunt: Meauring spoons

beanthere_dunthat
14 years ago

Does anyone have a (accurate) set of measuring spoons that have super-large, high-contrast print on them? I have four...count 'em!...sets and can no longer read any of them.

If you do have such a set, would you please post the manufacturer?

I was all set to buy the Zyliss ones, which I know I can see, but they have stopped making them in white with large blue print and now only make them in translucent orange. (Which might be their worst idea ever.)

Maybe I should patent my idea to put microchips in the handles like are in those singing greeting cards so the spoon will tell me which one it is! :D

Comments (10)

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

If you Google - tactile measuring spoons and measuring cups, you'll find a brand called Big Number Measuring Spoons - http://maxiaids.com/store/prodview.asp?idstore=6&idproduct=993&product=Big_Number_Measuring_Spoons

Big Number Measuring Cups - http://maxiaids.com/store/prodview.asp?idstore=6&idproduct=990&product=Big_Number_Measuring_Cups

Large Print 2-cup measuring cup - http://maxiaids.com/store/prodview.asp?idstore=6&idproduct=451&product=Large_Print_2-Cup_Measuring_Cup

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

There are also color-coded measuring spoons/cups, but you could color code any of your measuring tools yourself.

Independent Living Aids:
    http://www.independentliving.com/products.asp?dept=457&deptname=Measuring%20Spoons

The link below as more tools and ideas.

As far as accuracy... There are no standards of calibration for measuring spoons and cups in the U.S. Therefore, anything goes.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: AFB Senior Site - The Safe Chef

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

I'm not sure that I even look at the numbers. I think if you get rid of useless sizes like 1/3 teaspoon, you really can go by visual or even feel with little problem. If you can't, with 5 minutes of practice I think you could. Just don't see the need for a fifth set!

"There are no standards of calibration for measuring spoons and cups in the U.S. Therefore, anything goes."

Grainlady - I'm trying to understand this. Clearly our measurements are defined, so are you implying that in the US there's no "enforcement" whereas in metric countries there is? You seem to be singling out the US.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Grainlady suggested color coding your measuring spoons, and I was going to suggest the same thing. You could do what my Mom used to do - use fingernail polish. She color coded nearly everything in her house with fingernail polish. I used to make fun of her for doing so, but now I'm getting to the point that I want to go out and buy some polish just to do the same thing. It might be cheaper than buying another set of measuring spoons.

Sally

• User
    14 years ago

I like the OXO products. They have measuring spoons and cups that I find very useful, mostly because they have designed them to be useful and used!

If you need to color code stuff, you can always use colored heat shrink tubing. I use this a lot and get it at my local electronic/computer store (small local business).

• lindac
    14 years ago

I have a set of stainless measuring spoons....they are strung together on bead chain. The smallest is 1/4th next 1/3 etc etc....
    I don't need to read them.
    Linda C

• beanthere_dunthat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Grainlady, Using "tactile" didn't occur to me. I was using "large print" and not coming up with much of value. Thanks. And I know what you mean about the lack of accuracy standards. It's just some of the funky shaped ones (heart, clovers, moons, stars, oh my!) are waaaaay off. :)

MomJ - brilliant idea with the heat shrink tubing. I'd never heard of it before, but I'm betting I can solve a lot of little annoying new problems with that stuff! Perfect. And thanks. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. (I don't think I've owned a bottle of nail since I was 16.)

You know, those of you who don't have to look at the numbers to measure something, hey, that's great for you. I didn't have to use a white cane before last year either, but things change. You probably use your eyes more than you are consciously aware.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

You might be able to use nail polish to remark a couple of the sets you already have. A small decent paint brush[approx a size 0 in a red sable] would probably give you more control and a better outcome. You could keep it for just such marking things and of course just clean it with nail polish remover then wash with soap and water afterward [would keep it from drying out from the acetone].

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

OOpsie. After I posted I just picked up a marker to mark something... duh.. you could also use a Sharpie permanent marker to mark those spoons. It would probably last longer than the original paint/color. If you need the numbers to be bigger than will fit on the handle you could mark the back of the spoon itself. Hope you figure out what will work for you. Sometimes I have to wear several pairs of glasses at the same time to see something I want to see. I feel for ya.

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

foodonastump - All measuring cups/spoons sold in the U.S. are not calibrated for accuracy - especially sets made outside the U.S. commonly found at very low prices; and as beenthere donethat pointed out, novelty shaped versions. Quality measuring cups/spoons will be certified calibrated.
    -----------------------------

Another substance you can use to color code is a product used to dip the handle of tools in for grip. There is also brightly-colored electrical tape.

-Grainlady

• elphaba_gw
    14 years ago

I agree about the color coding. Then you can buy the BEST measuring spoons that are narrow so they fit into jars much more easily.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=45139&cat=2,40733,44734

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Measuring spoons