SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sallymo2015

Women with thinning hair?

sallymo2015
11 years ago

I have noticed the past 3-4 yrs the hair at my left temple area keeps getting thinner. I changed parts, thinking it was getting over done with the blow dryer, etc. But after a couple of years, and being gentle with that particular "spot" it is just thinner. I am 51, started taking vitamins for hair a few months ago, have good health otherwise, but I am really feeling sad at the thought I will be one of those women with thin hair! No one else in the family has thin hair, as far as the women.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? I can request a thyroid test from my dr, but I don't have any other symptoms. I'm thinking hormones are to blame, although I've not "gone through the change" quite yet.

Comments (23)

• judithn
    11 years ago

sallymo, happening to me too. Just turned 50. Not yet gone through the "change." Went to the endocrinologist for a full set of tests to be sure there was no medical explanation. I am hypothyroid and take synthroid, thought my meds might need tweaking. Doc said the test results were normal. Metabolically I'm 25 years old but my hair hasn't gotten the memo apparently. Very sad! Have always had superthick hair, now the hair line around forehead and temples is thinned substantially and my part is widened enough to be visible (at least to me). There are powder products you can brush in to make the skin on your head less conspicuous. You can use products to "thicken" the look of your hair and give it the body it needs to "poof" up in order the disguise the thinning. Some women do like minoxidil or rogaine but I didn't want to go that route. I did go to a wig shop (it's not THAT bad yet, but was exploring options).

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Man...this aging stuff is brutal....I had not even thought about this all coming, but it sounds like it is....one more thing to look forward too I guess.

• Related Discussions

Thumbs up for nuLOCKZ hair restoration and my thinning hair

Q

Comments (5)
    cheeky75, sorry it has taken so long for me to reply..been busy with christmas stuff. happy holidays by the way! yes you can only get it online. if you just type in nulockz.com it should get you right there. i would recommend getting a kit with the hair fibers, cause otherwise you would have to go back and pay more shipping and handling with another order. the reason i like the hair fibers is because you have instant results while you are waiting for the other products to actually give you new hairs. and BTW its no joke, those hair fibers are like magic...it looks like you instantly grow hair! where do you thin the most on your head? mine was mostly on my temples, but my hubby's back of his head and front area were pretty bad before we tried this. let me know what happens!
    ...See More

Do older women look better with short hair?

Q

Comments (150)
    Trailrunner, Jterrilynn, & Nance...thanks for the kind words! Golddust, I love your haircut. It enhances your pretty, delicate, heart-shaped face & high cheekbones. Adorable! Dlm, wow! You have great hair & look marvelous with it straight or curly! Nice to have options. I assume that's your DH & son? They are certainly handsome too! Beautiful family. LvrGolden, Mona, & Rose...all beautiful ladies over 50 with great hair! Oakley, I am dying to know what you think of your virtual hairstyling! I think Kelly found just the right do for you, and you know what? You really, really do look like Meg Ryan! You two have very similar features except that you are not scarecrow thin like she is (fortunately...'cause that's scary!) You would look great with layers around your face if you want to take baby steps toward shorter hair. I'd be delighted to get free advice too, if anyone has any suggestions. All feedback is good feedback. It can be hard to know what hairstyle options to pursue as we find ourselves no longer 25!
    ...See More

using rogaine for hair thinning

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi. I went to my doctor, finally. She didn't test me,but told me to take black cohosh daily and get more soy into me.I bought the black cohosh and had immediate results.I am losing only a couple of strands of hair after my shower,now.She also suggested going to GNC health store and getting vitamins specifically for hair. I didn't try that. As the Rogaine, she said I could try it, but to make sure I only use the women's formula. Thanks, Mrs. H and Cheryl!
    ...See More

thinning hair...

Q

Comments (29)
    I'm in my 70s with normal loss of hair volume. Last year I decided not to go through the whole routine of wash, blow dry, curl, some color etc. Go natural now without any of this and only wash my hair twice a week, a recommendation to retain natural oils . I do have natural waves and fine hair at just above my shoulders. Sometimes use a gel for fulness, always use hair spray, but not at the level once was. Of course my hair style will always be the same now. Looking back at 55+ yrs of every day and all the chemicals, it is a wonder there is any hair left. At my age there isn't a feeling of need to go through that again. Plus I see little difference in what was, than what style is now. Always disliked my curly hair and did everything possible to straighten it. If I ever needed a wig, I would do it. A fun adventure for something different. The market gets better every day and who knows what is on the horizon for hair styling, plus options for new growth.
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    11 years ago

Yes, have the whole Thyroid function bloodwork done. I had NO symptoms when it was discovered that I was Hypo during a routine physical. Taking my daily synthroid has become the first thing I do in the morning.

Thinning hair is just one of the joys of getting old...

ML

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Here's a very good explanation. Also let me tell you that normal thyroid function levels is betweeen 1 and 3 and most drs. don't know that it's been changed. It used to be between 3 and 7 so bring the info with you when you see a dr. You can find it on Mary Shoman's site.

Here is a link that might be useful: hair thinning

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I noticed my hair thinning by age 45. They make hairpieces that only cover your hairline. I don't use one but I should, lol.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I used to have very thick hair but about 5 years ago I told my beautician that it felt like it was getting thinner on top. She said no, that it was just my hair coming in "white" ( which is worse, white or thin or both?) but that the hair was there. I wasn't convinced. Then after I was put on cholestrol medicine, she said, yep now its getting thin. I got my cholestrol under control and am off the meds but it isn't improving. In fact, now its thin everywhere. It is really depressing. I always thought my hair would be one of my best assests as I got older.

I went through the "change" at 36 - I have absolutely no hormones - and quit take HRT about 10 years ago. I still have my hair colored - not ready to be white but I wonder when I do go there - will I have any left to be white? Hmmm...

• sallymo2015
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Darn, I was hoping to hear about something that helped someone with thinning hair! I have kept my hair cut in a bob for some years, it's just too straight to do anything else. I also have bangs, sometimes swept to the side, but the area between my longer sides and bang is the really thin area. I do have to say when I run my hands through my hair, it does fill thinner, overall.
    I will call for an appt tomorrow and report back afterward. That might be awhile, it is never easy to get in to the dr's office.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Another classic sign of a thyroid problem is when the outer side or your eyebrows thins and looks almost like half an eyebrow. I have had thyroid problems since I was 48. Prior to it, I had thick hair, nice eyebrows and slender body. Now I have thick body, slender hair and eyebrows lol. It's very disturbing but you have to look at the big picture. You can buy bang replacements, wiglets, extensions, snap on hair to fill in spaces and many thickening products.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Also make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet...hair is protein, and hormones are made of protein...

I went through the change and my hair went from a gentle wave to curly...go figure.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Look at your medications as well.

Some medications are associated with hair loss.

I think most of the time it's genetic.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

I have some help, perhaps. After growing into...groan...the same problem, i have some great solutions. Not sure which one(s) are helping most. 1.) I can really feel a difference in texture and thickness when i use Jonathan volume shampoo. It is a non-sudsing ((no poo?) type, and I just stumbled upon it . Have tried no others of this type. It's pricy bur worth it to me. 2.) I have been taking biotin for about six months. 3.)My wonderful cosmetic tool is dual purposed: covers gray, giving me far longer between coloring...and.....hides areas of scalp where part is too wide or hair thinner . I began with the pricy Brumble and Brumble root cover, and since discovered the Gray Away at drugstore works about as wel for far less.. These products spray on and give a nice depth of color ( since hair is naturally darker at roots, usually) . Comes in several,shades, but i've not seen a red. This is what is working for me. Good luck!
    Marti

• judithn
    11 years ago

Has anyone found a root powder for salt and pepper colored hair? I'd like to find one to fill in the line where my part is widening. It's easy to find "colors" but since I stopped coloring my hair that won't work. I saw one in a specialty catalog some time back but threw the catalog away and can't remember what the product was called and searches online have yielded no results. The local beauty store has silver/white but not salt and pepper.

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

About 2 years ago my hair really began to thin. Went to the doctor and tests all came back fine. So I took the following steps and have seen fairly good results: 1) Started using Rogaine for women, 2) started using Nioxin shampoo/conditioner, 3) started eating protein bars. I'll either have one for breakfast or sometime during the day ( favorite brand is Pure Protein - and favorite flavors are chewy chocolate chip and chocolate peanut butter); 4) stopped drinking diet pop and started drinking more water, and 5) stopped coloring my hair -and it's is much more manageable now. I never, ever got complements on my hair before and now people (strangers) will randomly make nice comments about my hair. So, for me, the thinning was a blessing in disguise. I'm so glad I quit coloring!

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

I have thought about Rograine but its one of those things that you have to continue to use or you lose the results over time. I have tried the Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I thought it might be helping but it is very drying - that is what my hairstylist said - it swells the hair follicle to make it appear thicker. What do you think the diet soda had to do with your thinning hair, Hilltop? I know its not good for you in anyway, just wondering as I have gone back to drinking it after giving it up for a couple of years.

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

mboston, I don't know if the the diet soda had anything to do with the hair loss except that I was drinking far too much of it in lieu of water which is much better for health. If I have a soda now (few and far between) I drink a regular soda simply so I don't allow myself the loose indulgence on diet soda.

I should also say I did start taking Biotin like martinca mentioned and I'm not real consistent on the use of the Rogaine.

Thinning hair is a huge confidence stealer & I was grasping at anything and everything to try to stop it. I'd guess that stress had something to do with mine. I had lots of life changes going on with kids getting married at opposite coasts, working on my masters, business expansion, etc.

• User
    11 years ago

I know someone that uses and likes the Joan Rivers hair stuff. It looks like a large thing of eyeshadow to me. I don't think they have a wide range of colors but anyone looking to make a part look smaller, this seems like it works. It also comes with a brush.

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

Sorry, party-pooper here. I also have noticed thinning hair, but because of the side effects would not use rogaine type products. Vitamins biotin, B complex and c are great. Also gelatin and increased protein work without toxicity. See Rogaine side effects copied from wiki:

"Side effects

Common side effects of minoxidil include burning or irritation of the eye, itching, redness or irritation at the treated area, as well as unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body. Users should stop treatment and seek medical attention right away if they experience any of the following serious side effects: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swollen hands or feet.[8]
    Alcohol and propylene glycol present in some topical preparations may dry the scalp, resulting in dandruff and contact dermatitis.[9] Some formulations of minoxidil substitute lipid Nanosomes in order to reduce contact dermatitis from the alcohol and propylene glycol vehicle.[10][11]
    Paradoxically, hair loss is a common side effect of minoxidil treatment.[12] Manufacturers note that minoxidil-induced hair loss is a common side effect and describe the process as "shedding". Although this phenomenon demonstrates that minoxidil is indeed affecting hair follicles, manufacturers offer no guarantee that the new hair loss will be replaced with hair growth. The speculated reason for this shedding is the encouragement of hairs already in the telogen phase to shed early.
    Side effects of oral minoxidil may include swelling of the face and extremities, rapid and irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, cardiac lesions, and focal necrosis of the papillary muscle and subendocardial areas of the left ventricle.[13] There have been cases of allergic reactions to minoxidil or the non-active ingredient propylene glycol, which is found in some topical minoxidil formulations. Pseudoacromegaly is an extremely rare side effect reported with large doses of oral minoxidil.[14]
    Another side effect of minoxidil is that of dry skin, dark under-eye circles, and skin redness. Studies have shown that minoxidil can cause collagen depletion as it is a lysyl hydroxylase inhibitor, an enzyme which is key in collagen production.[15]
    Minoxidil is highly toxic to cats and may cause death with just inadvertent skin contact.[16][17"

• judithn
    11 years ago

wow, abundantblessings, that is quite some list. Personally, I've never considered using a minoxidil or rogaine product but, if I was thinking of it, the last line in that list of warnings would stop me. Heck,what about just skipping the minoxidil and getting the get the cat to splay itself over your head and stay like that all day! Works particularly well with the longer-haired cats...

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I'm 52 and have the same problems with thinning hair. Mine is not that noticeable because my hair on the top is still thick, it's the hair on the sides that have thinned out quite a bit. I had tests which included thyroid and all was normal. Sometimes I think the older we get the more we change into what we looked like as babies (only with wrinkles). When I was a baby I had very thick hair on the top with not much on the sides. I looked like Bert on Sesame Street. So I guess this is what I have to look forward to in old age. If you were a bald baby...Ok I will not go there lol.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

Mine has been thinning for many years. It is hereditary in my family :( I have two friends who I have pledged to tell me when it is time for a wig.

It is a real downer as my hair used to be very nice--really my best feature. I remember secretly being very smug about how great it was. Oh, pride goeth before a fall, and I am eating humble pie now, for sure.

• User
    11 years ago

If you haven't already, consider a different hair cut/style. My mom's hair is now pretty thin since she went through menopause. I know it would look better with a different hair cut but she won't go through with it. Her reasoning is she doesn't know how to style it even though we've shown her (she did try something different for a short period) time and again. I know she's capable. She bought quite a few ok looking wigs (the actual hair is ok, though I don't care for the style on her) but for all the money she spent on the mediocre ones, that she doesn't wear much, she could've bought one really nice wig!

I truly feel for anyone going through hair loss. When shedding my pregnancy hair it started to get scary thin along my one temple. I never realized I was that (vain?) about my hair. Thankfully it seems to have taperd off and new sprouts are all over the place. I'm hoping to keep a full head of hair as I age. Honestly, even the idea of having to wear a wig really upsets me but it would be better than having scalp show. :( I hope some of the stuff mentioned above has a positive outcome.

• susie100
    11 years ago

I am 68; my hair has thinned significantly in the five years since my divorce. I went through menopause at 50; but the thinning did not begin then; just in the last five years. From everything I've read, I have chronic telogen effluvium, as the hairs I lose have the classic white club hair end. My mom's hair was not thin, nor was my dad's. My brother and sister have hair that has not thinned. I work in a club type store, in a position where I can observe other folks walking about. I have noticed thinning hair in many, many women that come through the store; even young women; very, very thin hair, nearly bald in many. I wonder if it is the hormones a lot of us took, including birth control pills, or the chemicals in the shampoos and hair products we use, in the food we eat, and the products we put on and in our bodies. I have been to derm and the endocrinologist; they say all tests are normal I also have a lot of itching in my scalp, although I do not have dandruff. Just thinking out loud.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Even with relatively normal blood thyroid levels, one can be 'thyroid hormone resistant' causing symptoms of low thyroid levels. Apparently stress plays a large role in this which does not surprise me. My blood levels have for many years shown low-normal levels but Drs. have been reluctant to prescribe thyroid meds. However recently my Naturopath told me about thyroid resistance and my Medical Dr. has since prescribed on my urging. I think she believes it's an experiment that 'can't hurt' and is quite amenable to my suggestions as I don't take any other meds and am quite healthy otherwise. Since taking the med. I've noticed a difference in my temperature comfort level (previously often felt cold) and am also sleeping better. Hope it has an effect on my thinning hair as well and time will tell on that.

Having a good layered short-ish haircut helps so I've been reluctant to grow my hair long anymore. I also no longer have perms as am reluctant to stress my hair. I jokingly say I'll shave my head if I lose much more hair altho it's not quite that bad yet. *roll-eyes* I'm reluctant to use too many products on my hair as most are toxic. I can't imagine using 'make-up' on my head. I wash my hair gently if I am going out in public as it has better volume when blown-dry. If I am not going out I don't wash it. Fortunately I'm out and about at least every other day as can't stand unwashed hair.

I'm 71 and have noticed my hair thinning since about my mid-60's. I take vitamins and supplements and eat well so doubt the cause is nutritional. Getting stress under control altho it's been off-the-charts recently.

I remember one of my teachers back in the 50's having very thin hair which is one of my worst nightmares. Well, cosmetic nightmare anyhow. In the grand scheme of things it's trivial altho I admit to being a bit vain and always try to look my best.

Bald can be beautiful, can't it? ;D LOL