SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiclet35

Is a mitered edge countertop an upgrade?

chiclet35
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am at the stage of countertop install in my kitchen and have run into some trouble.

My counter people came to install this last week and the laminate edge on my carrara marble was **very** visible on one side of my island because they did a bad job matching it and the top was darker gray and the piece they laminated on was pure white! Suffice it to say that they agreed it was not to their standards (why anyone didn't see this before they trucked it to my house is anyone's guess) and said they would redo it.

I just got a call from them asking if it was ok that they do a mitered edge instead of a laminated.

They tell me it's an upgrade and you will see the seam less. Apparently the end piece of my marble is very gray (true) and they can't find a piece that matches it to laminate on. If they miter it, they can cover that gray on the edge and match it much better (so they tell me).

Is this true? I have read a bunch of posts and it seems that most people think it's an upgrade but some people said they didn't like it. I still don't get why it makes a difference, but if it looks better I am all for it. My guess is that they want to be sure it's done to my satisfaction this time because it's cost them a lot of $ to redo in labor already.

I was hoping I might be able to get some quick opinions/photos? Should I tell them to proceed? Is a mitered edge less visible? I should mention that their laminated edge seam was very well done, but the marble slices just didn't match on one side. The other pieces all look fine, so I don't think the seam will be well done.

Comments (8)