SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

took the plunge!

daisychain01
10 years ago

Went to get my hair done yesterday and had her cut everything off. I've worn my hair in pretty much the same style for about 12 years - shoulder length bob with bangs. I took a picture with me and altho she did take some artistic licence, it is pretty much what I wanted - a bit shorter than chin length with lots of short layers and long sexy bangs. Woohoo! I feel free and am looking forward to not having to pluck a million long blonde strands off my sweaters every time I brush my hair. Also, it took me about 1/4 of the time to style it this morning.

Comments (20)

• golddust
    10 years ago

Where is the photo?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Good for you!
    I did the same thing a few years back and I've never regretted it. Though mine was longer than shoulder length when pulled out (very curly) and is now shorter than chin length. I love it even more now that I've found an organic shampoo that allows my short hair to curl. I'll never go back to long hair again.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

golddust, I would post a pic if I could figure out how to just get the hair in photo and leave out the wrinkles :)

justgotabme, could you post the name of the shampoo? My youngest has very curly hair and it is always a challenge to find products that don't dry it out.

• leafy02
    10 years ago

I love a good change. I wore long hair for years and when I went to layers I felt like a new person. Enjoy it!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Daisy, you forget that many of us are in your same age bracket with the same wrinkles you have.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Daisy it's Organix Argan Oil and Shea Butter. I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organix Argan Oil and Shea Butter

• peegee
    10 years ago

Daisy - I've been starting to consider cutting my much longer hair, but know at my age once I cut it I'll never have long hair again, so I'm not quite ready to take the plunge...reading about your experience helps inch me further along the diving board though!

Justgotabme; I use only organic products and was excited to learn of another as it's hard to find good organic shampoos, lotions, etc. But when I looked at the bottle in the link I could not find the organic logo nor info on ingredients, which is concerning. A check with info from Amazon reveals some ingredients I would never consider using and cannot be organic:
    Ingredients:
    DI Water, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Dimethicone Copolyol, Cocamide DEA, Glycol Distearate, Argan Oil (Argania Spinosa), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Parfum, Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera),

Ingredients
    Avocado Oil (Persea Gratissima), Aloe Leaf Extract (Aloe Barbadensis), Panthenol, Polyquaternium-11, DMDM Hydantoin, Cetyl Alcohol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, PEG-23M, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Red 40.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks justgotabme. I've seen that in our local drugstore. I'm not that worried about it being organic, but if it is, that's a bonus.

peegee, we've moved towards becoming vegetarian (my dd's choice to be full veggie, so we mostly are, too) and started taking pregnancy vitamins to up my iron a bit. I know we should be able to get everything we need from our food, but our crazy busy lives just don't always allow it. In the year that I've been taking the vitamins, my hair has never been so thick or grown so fast (except, of course, when I actually was pregnant).

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

It's the only kind of shampoo that I found for curly hair that didn't have some sort of parabins. They are also sulfate-free and petrol-free. They are not tested on animals and their packaging is all sustainable right down the the ink they use.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Just- I'm happy for you that you have found a product that works for you. I just wanted to point out that despite the name, their product doesn't appear to be organic at all. I only wanted to clarify as you indicated it was organic. I would want to know so thought it important to say - sure hope I haven't offended you - was not my intention. I get a little worked up about products that are misleading, or marketed in a misleading way, have ingredients on the food or cosmetic ingredient's hazard lists, etc. Especially when one has to pay such a premium to buy what one hopes are better or healthier....Daisy, didn't mean to go so OT!! I should look into vitamins as my hair has thinned quite a bit!!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

peegee, I missed your post before as it came to my junkmail folder. I try to remember to look there first so I can check all non junk over to my inbox, but I'm also watching our 9 month old granddaughter so I'm a bit distracted and missed it so I didn't look beyond the comment from daisychain.

I tried to read the ingredients on the bottle but even with my glasses it was too small and I couldn't find the actual ingredients on their website either, other than what wasn't in their products. I'm with you on companies that mislead the consumer. It makes me very unhappy.

I have noticed a difference in my hair since I've used it but if it's got unhealthy ingredients in it I'll stop using it and write them a letter. My suitcase is packed now as we're leaving Hawaii for home tonight so I'll have to read the bottle when I get home and can use a magnifier. Please know I was not offended. I'm glad you brought it up.

• Robin Henson
    10 years ago

Okay Daisychain01,

I'm sitting here with a shoulder length bob and bangs that I've had for decades. I have one toe over the edge to get a new "do" and also the same wrinkles and saggy neck...

Would you consider posting the inspiration picture you took to the hair appointment?

Thanks bunches.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I like devacurl products. Not for everyone, but they give me great results. Not organic, but does not contain parabens, sulfate or silicon.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

arjay, I couldn't find the image, but had it saved on my desktop, so I sent it to you via email (hope that's okay). For me, the key was keeping my bangs long like in the photo. I've had short hair many times before and my first reaction is always "how long will this take to grow out?" This is the first time I'm excited about keeping it short. I took the kids swimming yesterday (indoor pool because it is still -20 here) and was able to blow it out in 5 minutes using one of those wall mounted hand dryers - and I looked decent!
    Even tho I really love mine, I wouldn't push you to do it unless you are really ready. Like I said, I've had short before and hated it.

Thanks for the devacurl recommendation, boopadaboo. I will look for that one too. We have so many products for this poor kid, but I am always willing to try one more. Everyone loves her curls but her.

• Robin Henson
    10 years ago

Got it! Thanks for your effort. That is a great carefree style for those of us hair challenged gals. I can handle a ponytail but that's it.
    I could have written the entire paragraph in your last post. I have tried short hair before and was miserable just like you. I wear eyeglasses which complicates things further. And so it goes. Thanks again.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Not sure how young your youngest is Daisy but it took me years before I appreciated my curls. I even tried to iron my curls straight with my Mom's clothing iron back in the seventies.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

LOL, Just! I had a friend back in the day who would try anything and everything to straighten her hair including sleeping with orange juice cans on her head:) I have no doubt she tried her mom's iron, too! She never did embrace her curls and now has her hair professionally straightened.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Ha ha ha Funny Girl! I remember the orange cans. Never tried them myself, but I remember girls wearing them even when shopping. I'd have had to wear them for days before my hair was dry as I had very thick hair. My hairdressers used to say they never saw anyone with so much hair and each follicle being so thick.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I used to sleep in orange juice cans too. In the 60s-70's I wanted straight hair so bad. Bangs were very popular at one point too and I flattened my bangs against my forehead and taped them down with some kind of pink tape. The next morning I had perfectly straight bangs, with 1/4" curl at the end where the hair stuck out of the tape. lol

I have come to appreciate my wavy hair now though. I keep it short and it seems to offset the wrinkles in my face that straight hair emphasized.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

LOL Marti I remember the pink tape. When I wore my hair in a shag hair cut I had to cover my head with a mesh bag that grapes came in so it wouldn't curl all over the place and not look like a shag. I had to tape that to my head, but never bought the pink tape using scotch tape instead. That certainly left marks on my skin, but luckily once my hair was out from under the mesh bag it fluffed and covered it up.
    Oh the things we do for beauty! Ha ha ha!
    Here's me circa 1971: