SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snikcilla

Connecting common wire at air handler - is this correct?

snikcilla
14 years ago

Hi, could one of you hvac gurus please check this?

Installed Ritetemp 6080 programmable thermostat months ago, works fine. I now want to connect the common wire, so I can use the remote control.

At the thermostat there are (red wire to Rh screw, white to W, yellow to Y, green to G, + jumpers) and an extra blue wire not connected to anything.

*I want to connect this unused blue wire to the empty C screw on the thermostat.

At the air handler there are the above r, w, y and g wires (coming in from the thermostat) connected to the R, W, Y, G screws. The same unused blue wire at the thermostat is unused at the air handler.

*I want to connect the other end of the unused blue wire to the C screw on the air handler.

*But before I connect the ends of the unused blue wire at the thermostat and air handler as the common wire... I want to see about the other 3 wires connected to the air handler described here:

-Connected to the C screw on the air handler is another Red wire (which ties into the EZ trap float switch wiring).

-Also connected to the "Y" screw on the air handler is another "White" wire (which ties into the EZ trap wiring) and then goes to outside unit.

-There is also another green wire (not connected at the air handler), but runs along side the white wire above and appears to go outside.

*Given the placement of these last 3 wires on the air handler, can I go ahead and connect the blue wire to the C on the thermostat and the C on the air handler, and would it power the system (to save batteries) and also the remote?

The airhandler is a comfortmaker, but the board has honeywell stamped on it (circa 1995).

Help is much appreciated. Sorry pictures didn't turn out clear enough to post.

Comments (7)