SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olympiceagle

LG Washer Owners useful cleaning tips

olympiceagle
15 years ago

We bought a LG washer, model WM2455, from Sears about three months ago. We have been extremely satisfied with its performance so far, but like most FL owners, want to do everything possible to avoid any mildewy smells. Our model has a special TubClean cycle, but we havenÂt figured out how to run it, so today I called LG Customer Service to find out what weÂre doing wrong.

In addition to clarifying how to run the TubClean cycle, the Customer Service rep offered several other useful tips that I thought might be worth passing on.

1. The TubClean cycle. If you have this cycle on your model, the UserÂs Guide (at least, in ours) is woefully inadequate in its explanation. First, press the Power On button. Second, press and hold the TubClean button (same as the Extra Rinse button) for 3 seconds until the PreWash button light comes on. Third, add bleach to the bleach dispenser. Fourth, press the Start button. I ran this today and was stunned to notice a fair amount of suds sloshing around the drum. Since this cycle is run with only the bleach (no detergent, softener, or clothes), it appears that detergent residue was still in there. Normal washing might not remove all the detergent residue, so it seems to make sense to take these extra measures to keep the residue from building up. Also, as new FL owners, we might be using more detergent than is needed, so weÂll try to cut back a bit more.

2. WhirlOut. The LG web site recommends using WhirlOut periodically. It was originally made for spas and whirlpool baths; we found it at Home Depot. The CS rep said to use it every 3 months as follows: Start the TubClean cycle. Instead of adding bleach into the bleach dispenser, put 4 oz. of WhirlOut into the DRUM. Then press the Start button. If your model does not have a TubClean cycle, just use the hottest available cycle with WhirlOut in the drum.

3. Drain Pump Filter. The CS rep said to clean this filter monthly (the UserÂs Guide says nothing about frequency, and we had completely overlooked this step). I just did it and drained out 2 cups of water. ThereÂs also a pump filter that should be cleaned out as it traps lint and other foreign objects. Ours was pretty clean. Whole process took about 2 minutes. The CS rep said that this liquid sits there and provides moisture that fosters mildew.

The CS rep summarized as follows:

1. Leave the door open for about 15 minutes after every wash. Not necessary to wipe gaskets dry, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to do so.

2. Use WhirlOut every 3 months.

3. Drain and clean the pump filter every month.

I know that calling any Customer Service department can be a real hassle, and we have had our share of horror experiences with other appliances. However, this guy was absolutely super.

Anyway, FWIW, I thought the info I learned might be helpful to other LG washer owners, and possibly to FL owners of other brands, too.

Comments (17)