SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osxaddict

LG Gas Dryer Working Again (DLG5932W)

osxaddict
14 years ago

As some of you may have read last week our LG dryer (~5 years old) died after being swapped in position due to a new Miele washer being installed.. Shortly thereafter the dryer stopped warming anything -- no gas, just air drying.

Anyway, I downloaded the service manual from the LG site and now realize that the manual has some missing info and some wrong labels for some drawings. In case someone else needs to do this, I believe the following changes are needed to the service manual :

1) On Page 23, it lists valve #1 and #2 backwards -- the valve on the top is valve #1 -- not #2. The diagram on page 11 is correctly labeled.

2) On page 12, it makes a vague reference to something called the Outlet Thermostat (Manual Reset) but does not have a specific set of test pages dedicated to diagnosing it -- the table on page 12 indicates when it should be open and closed -- but I overlooked that until tonight. If you're not completely paying attention you may do as I did and fork up ~$70 for a new controller board since the diagnostic steps listed on page 23 do not mention checking this thermostat at all.. Interestingly enough, if you look at the schematic, you'll see that this manually reset thermostat is gating any voltage that is going to the ignitor. If no ignitor is going then the valve #1 won't open..

So, in trying anything I could think of after replacing the controller board and finding it still not working, I manually reset this dumb thermostat (after reading the resistance and finding it open) and magically the ignitor started working, followed by valve #1 & #2.. Hooray! Now I just need to put it back together! All is working just fine now -- no controller board needed -- just a reset of this dumb thermostat...

By the way, I might look into buying some foil backed foam sheets (see link below for an example) and applying them to the outside walls (and top-lid) of the machine in an effort to quiet it up a bit -- while this machine is tagged by LG as "Whisper Quiet" or something like that, it's hardly Whisper quiet -- it's probably 30x louder than our new Miele washer -- any decrease in noise transmission to the outside of the cabinet would be an improvement -- I'll make sure none of what is installed is near any flame areas (where a foil backed panel is already installed).

Here is a link that might be useful: Dow's Thermax Sheathing

Comments (2)