SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

What kind of coffee should I buy?

msrose
11 years ago

I've been drinking Taster's Choice for over 20 years. I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning, so I could never justify making a pot of coffee. I found a 1-cup coffee pot that I'm going to buy, but I don't have a clue what kind of coffee to buy. I adore Starbucks, so should I buy their brand? Any other recommendations? I'm guessing I could buy the cheapest thing possible and it would be better than Taster's Choice, but just thought I'd see what your favorite is.

Comments (68)

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Hi msrose! Consider getting your Keurig at costco. I am on my 3rd one (as the other two have failed within a year/18 mos. of purchase). Costco's return/exchange policy is very generous. When/if this one fails and I don't get at least two years out of it, I'm done with the brand. Sad to say, because I love the concept: many choices and no wasted coffee. Not the cheapest, but the convenience is unparalleled and everyone can have what they like.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Do you drink Hot chocolate? Hot tea? COld Tea? We have been thinking of getting a Keurig and only visitors drink Coffee. :) I love the english breakfast tea at work from the Keurig hot and cold. they also have hot apple cider there. never tried it.

• Related Discussions

what size and kind vent fan should we buy?

Q

Comments (2)
    With a large master bath that has a steam shower and jetted whirlpool, we definitely wanted a quiet fan that would ventilate the area! One set of rules for sizing baths of 100 ft^2 or larger is 50 CFM per each toilet, shower and tub (100 CFM for a jetted whirlpool tub). Our bath needed a 200 CFM fan. Seems that nobody makes fans this large with built-in lights. No problem, really, this was a master bath and we were planning on extra lighting anyhow. We found Air King and bought their AK200LS, a 200+ CFM model. It's quiet (2.0 sones) for the airflow it provides. We also bought one of Air Kings' electronic timer switches; as we leave the bath, we just flip the switch down and the fan runs an extra 20 minutes and shuts off. Their current AKEDT2 timer is the closest to this now. Hope this helps. Here is a link that might be useful: Air King Vent Fans
    ...See More

Bead board - What kind should I buy???

Q

Comments (16)
    I ordered my bathroom beadboard via Nantucket Beadboard (www.beadboard.com) and LOVE it...It wasn't the cheapest option I had but I wanted it to hold up to moisture. My neighbors bath paint started peeling and separating after just a couple of years. You can go with strip products or sheet products. I went with strip products. And if you do go with sheet product, make sure it is thick enough and has a way to butt against each other and overlap.....so you don't get the awful joints. Especially awful on a light painted finish. Here's the link and a photo of my bathroom. For the whole room, I think it was around $300-$400...but definitely worth the quality material! Kompy Here is a link that might be useful: Nantucket Beadboard
    ...See More

If I use this rug, what kind of chairs should I get? (pics)

Q

Comments (20)
    You have a lovely room and it will be worth the effort to take the time to locate the right furnishings. Try Pottery Barn for to get some ideas about stylish comfort. Some of their furniture is on sale now. With down-wrapped cushions and down throw pillows, it really is possible to be comfortable without resorting to a recliner! Also, if there is a Bassett Direct near you, it would be worthwhile to visit the store, as they provide complementary design services. We had a very good experience with a store here in Florida when we were refurnishing our second home in North Carolina. I took in the blueprints and the designer drew out possible furniture arrangments and did a marvelous job assisting us with our selections. All of the furniture can be customized by fabric and finish and shown to you on a monitor as modified. Here is a link that might be useful: Bassett Direct
    ...See More

What kind of olive oil should I buy?

Q

Comments (8)
    Don't waste money on extra virgin when cooking. Use it for salads or carpaccio and things eaten raw. Regular olive oil will add more flavor to cooked things too. Extra virgin can make a cooked dish seem bland sometimes. Whatever you use, make sure you buy good quality. There is a lot of fake "olive oil" being sold. I posted a number of links in another olive oil thread about the fakes and I also listed the brand names of the fakes. Here is a link that might be useful: Fake Olive Oil
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    11 years ago

We've had our Keurig for 6 years with almost no problems! About a year ago it started acting a little wonky so we ended up buying a Nespresso machine, but then the Keurig just started acting normally again so we now have two machines. I found that the coffee from the Nespresso was messing up my stomach, so now I use the Keurig and DH uses the Nespresso. We also have a Keurig at our beach cottage and have had no issues with that for 2+ years. I like the Donut Shop Coffee for Keurig but sometimes I buy Starbucks too.

• User
    11 years ago

When I was thinking of buying a Keurig I also looked at Mini Brewer but I read that there are many issues with them. If you google you will find out. So I went with the next level up, Keurig� Elite 40 Brewing System. Reviews were good on this model. I bought mine at Walmart for only $88.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like Green Mountain coffee and belong to their club so it is shipped free if you order four boxes. My daughters like strong coffee and there is Barista Prima which is strong coffee. We use the K cups for both.
    I agree about the Keurig. We love this system but after 2 years it started acting up. My husband called and was able to clear out the spigot. Now it stopped working and we were able to send it back, free shipping. We are scheduled to get a refurbished replacement. We purchased ours in Bloomingdales.
    As much as I am disappointed, I will keep getting this machine repaired or buy another one. We do not drink coffee all day long and even if I tried freezing the coffee or making sure it is in an air tight container, it still went stale.
    Also when measuring out, I did not always get it right. The k-cups are fool proof. Also fun for gatherings where you can have a variety and everyone can step up and make there own cup.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Are there any downsides to doing it that way?

Just that it's a bit tricky to get the right amount of water the first couple of times you try. And the planet will thank you for all the plastic k-cups you're not using.

• moonshadow
    11 years ago

My late MIL made one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had. It was Gevalia (back when it was still only available by mail order). I should've paid attention to exactly what type she bought, all I know is she got whole beans & ground them. Lately I'm seeing Gevalia on local store shelves. I've bought a couple of the small ground bags & tried to replicate her coffee (have the same coffee maker brand). I've come close but it's just not quite exactly like hers. Guess I need to try whole beans next. That was some rich, smooth coffee!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

>Are there any downsides to doing it that way?

"Just that it's a bit tricky to get the right amount of water the first couple of times you try. And the planet will thank you for all the plastic k-cups you're not using."

And all those electrical appliances made in China that end up in the landfill. It is really the perfect way to making a single cup, if you like good coffee. If you like Starbucks coffee (which is generally stronger than something like Folgers), then I think you'd be very happy. I do buy larger than one cup filters because it is easier to keep it all in the cone. You could try it and for less than $5 if you aren't pleased, you can then try the more expensive options.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

The same brand of coffeemaker may not be the same type of filter. I've found that the cone type filters make better coffee & will not buy one that uses the Mr Coffee type filter.

Moonshadow My late MIL made one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had. It was Gevalia I've bought a couple of the small ground bags & tried to replicate her coffee (have the same coffee maker brand). I've come close but it's just not quite exactly like hers.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

We also use the Melitta and buy our filters at Target in the 100-pack for $3.

I'd suggest you put your money into a coffee grinder instead of a Keurig and buy whole beans. Shop where you can measure out the beans, and try the varieties until you hit on a winner. You can grind the beans in the store, but I buy enough for a week and grind fresh every morning.

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

Try the "Blonde" roast from Starbucks. Its much "less strong" than the medium or dark roast and they have two to try from. Veranada is one and I can't racall the other but I like the Veranda better. If you do get it, get it from a Starbucks store not the grocery store. I don't know why but its never quite the same. You can have it ground but you will need to tell them if the filter is a flat bottom or cone shape. Each takes its own "grind."

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Roselvr

I've had both types of Keurigs. We have the single like you posted, in our motor home, with zero problems. I like it because it doesn't have a reservoir and can be put into a cabinet when we hit the road.

But for home use I would choose the most simple Keurig with a reservoir. If you have a Kohls and get coupons, you can get one cheap when you get a good coupon.

Love the Breakfast Blend K-cups. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head. I stock up when I have a Kohls coupon. They are in a green box.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I get the Starbuck's Verona in a very large box at Costco. It is for the Keurig.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I think if you adore Starbucks, you should certainly try their coffee! We only make 5 cups a day in our big coffeemaker for the two of us each morning. That will after ground adsorption, make two moderately sized mugs of coffee.

We have been drinking Eight O'clock Colombian bean for decades. We grind it fresh each morning and when we have company, someone always comments on the coffee.
    I watch for bogo sales and then stock up and use coupons. I can get it down to $2 a bag but each bag is only 11.5 ounces. I usually buy 20 bags or more at a time and keep them in the pantry but that's only a couple months supply at most.

While there may be a Keurig coffee maker style that makes good coffee, the half dozen different times I've had it, the coffee was too weak for me. I like it strong but smooth.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

MsRose, my husband uses the Hamilton Beach single serve that you linked. I bought it for him last year for Christmas. He only drinks one cup a day. After carefully considering the Keurig, I decided against it (for one, he likes strong coffee and I heard from several people the Keurig coffee wasn't strong enough and two, I didn't like the trash that accumulates from k-cups). The HB has worked out really well for him. I don't even know what kind of coffee he drinks - sometimes he buys beans and grinds them himself, and sometimes he buys it already ground. He keeps it stored in an air-tight container that he got at Starbucks. Even though he only drinks a cup a day (and sometimes not), it has never gone bad for him. He does not like flavored coffee (another reason the Keurig wasn't attractive).

I know he does buy Starbucks French Roast, and I think that Pete's from Seattle (not sure exact name). I'm not much help there in terms of brand of coffee but wanted you to know that the HB Single Serve has worked out very well for him. Easy to use and easy to keep clean.

• moonshadow
    11 years ago

What mboston said about Starbuck's Blonde Veranda blend, that's pretty good too. Smooth, no bite to it.

Thanks roselvr :) Bunn is the brand, I got mine because of hers. But her machine though pristine was much older, it actually looked almost like a commercial model.

• msrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

writersblock - You were right about the 4-cup coffee makers. I saw a 5-cup at Target today and it was really small. It would take up even less counter space than the Keurig and HB. I'm so undecided now!

• mboston_gw
    11 years ago

My son manages a local Starbucks. He says the "Blonde" roast has been a real success for those that didn't care for the stronger roasts. We drink Verona, which is a Medium roast, I think but I like the Veranda, if I am having more than a morning cup or if I'm brewing it for others who might not like the other roasts. Plus I don't make it as strong as they do in the cafes.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

We live in the coffee brewing center of the nation, so we are a bit of coffee snobs. Starbucks is ok, but we like Pete's better. We tried Dunkin' Donuts for a while, but it was too-generic-for our taste.

I love the coffee by a local roaster called Allen Brothers. In my opinion that coffee is far superior to Starbucks.

I second buying a grinder and grinding up your own as you go. If you can find bulk coffee, you can buy a small amount of beans of different varieties to suit your tastes. I think the dark roasts tend to be bitter, and the columbian blends are a little weak, but probably closer to Taster's Choice/Folgers.

Seal up your coffee in zip lock bags and store in the fridge, it will stay a bit fresher. Whole bean will last a lot longer than ground. One thing I didn't like about the Gevalia that I tried was that it was not oily-that is a better bean, much fresher. I have a friend who roasts his own-oh...that is sooo good. Also, the type of water you use is a big factor. Use filtered if you can.

Every once in a while DH will order some Kona from Hawaii-and oooh yumm. THE best!

Oh, and just a bit of trivia...Starbucks has a proprietary method for making their coffee. They prefer to hire inexperienced barrista's to train them in their methods. I think that might be why I wasn't so pleased with their brew-your-own coffee as I am with the in-store stuff.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

We recently purchased an Aeropress coffee maker & it works great for small amounts of coffee. You can use an insta hot or an electric teakettle or regular tea kettle to warm the water. They are not $$, and can be found at kitchen stores, some groc. stores, etc. You can check it out online, and they even have videos. So easy to use.

As far as coffee, we are in the PNW, Starbuck's country, so we usually buy their coffee and have it ground espresso grind for the aeropress. I need a bolder coffee than the Blonde, so usually get Verona or Gold Coast. You can also grind your own beans if you'd like.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Have you considered getting a french press to make your coffee?

It is a low tech approach to be sure, but allows you to make it very hot, which is a big complaint about many drip coffeemakers.

Basically it is a pyrex cylinder that you put the loose coffee in the bottom. Then you boil water in a kettle. So it is really hot. Pour the water just off the boil over the grounds, and allow to sit for about 3 minutes to steep. Then your stir, and you put in the presser...it is a round flat type of screen that fits perfectly in the cylinder. It presses down the grounds to the bottom, and holds them there so that aren't in the coffee, which is above the screen. Then you pour and enjoy.

Benefits are that the coffee is super hot. And you can add your milk to the coffee before you press down, having it "pre mixed". It doesn't plug in, so you can pick it up and take with you to the coffee table or patio. And all parts go into the dishwasher.

Cons are that it isn't automatic, and you have to shake loose the spent grounds out of the bottom for cleaning, which can be a bit messy. I do it over the sink into a doubled up paper towel, and then discard.

They come in different sizes. I have seen them at Starbucks if you wanted to look at them.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Press

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Don't bother with buying a grinder unless you get a burr or mill grinder, however they are expensive. Blade grinders are way cheaper but they just don't do the coffee justice, possibly leaving it bitter due to not grinding the coffee to a uniform size. Just go where you can get freshly ground. Remember that the darker the roast the less acidity.

The most important aspects of a coffee maker is the temperature of the water and extraction time. Love a maker with a thermal carafe but not necessary if you immediately transfer coffee to one. My favorite brand is Capresso. We've had the same one for eight years and I've given them as gifts to three different people and all have loved it. It's an expensive brand but they have a couple of models under $100.

Enjoy your coffee!!

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Coffee

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I disagree about the grinder. I have read that, of course, but we have been using an inexpensive Krupps grinder for 30 years and it does make a huge difference (we've had 2). The coffee is very good and we get lots of comments on it. However, to a true coffee aficionado, it might be less than exquisite. I don't buy fresh roasted, for instance.

Here is a link that might be useful: This grinder

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

A French press might be a good choice, but only if you really plan to make a single cup and drink it right then, or transfer it to something thermal. The problem for me with a FP is that the coffee gets stronger and stronger as it sits. If you like Starbucks this might not bother you, though. To me, the only advantage of an electric over something like the Melitta is that if I get interrupted I can pour the coffee back into the pot and keep it warm for a while. That may not be a factor for you.

I have a cheap grinder, too, and while it's not as excellent as burr ground coffee, it's fine for me. Still way better than buying ground coffee.

• msrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info on the French press. I noticed one at Target and wondered about it compared to the Melitta.

BTW, I will never, ever, ever buy Febreeze!!!!!!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I borrowed a French Press and used it for a while. I did everything right, used freshly ground beans, used a thermometer to make sure the water was the right temperature (205 degrees F), and I used spring water. All that, and all that work, and I could not say the coffee tasted better. I am back to using my Eight O'Clock, tap water, and a percolator from the 1970s that I bought on eBay.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

The aeropress is similar to a french press system, except it has a little disc paper filter & you push the coffee thru that into your cup. Then add hot water to the espresso-like coffee liquid, to make a full cup of coffee or you can drink it as an espresso. I have made a double batch & added more water, then put in a large thermal cup.

You also push the filter & grounds right into your compost (or trash), so you don't have to scoop out the grounds like in a french press. I do love french press coffee, too!!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Graywings.. I LOVE those old percolators. I was very close to buying one when I couldn't find a suitable replacement for my capresso. I like french presses well enough but I don't enjoy the mess and didnt find the coffee to be better.

I agree with Kellyeng, the old capressos with built-in burr grinders were great! It was the only coffee maker I'd found that made and kept my coffee hot enough and it was truly the best coffee I've had at home. It also brewed VERY quickly. Unfortunately, the company was bought out and the quality and customer service went very much downhill. I bought the newer model when my last one died.. it's not as good, it's loud and it died only 3 months after I bought it. Yes, I understand that sometimes things have faults.. but the very poor customer service turned me off to them forever. They refused to replace the pot-- and would fix it but I had to pay the shipping both ways and either buy a new coffee maker or go without. On top of it, they were very rude. That cinched it for me.. no more capressos.

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

Ugh, Funky, I didn't know that! I bought a Capresso coffee maker and grinder for my son for Christmas since he got his own apartment last month. Hopefully it holds up to his heavy coffee drinking.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

oh, I hope so, Kellyeng. I very well could have gotten a dud--but it was their customer service that sent me over the edge. Hopefully neither of you have problems!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I got a Keurig for Christmas, but haven't used it yet. I'm almost afraid since i've been drinking Yuban for years, LOVE it, and an afraid it won't compare! For some reason it's become more difficult to find over the last couple of years, so I better get that Keurig out of the box!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

You are in luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yuban pods at Amazon

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

The Yuban at Amazon is not in stock; found another page that says

Yuban Coffee pods
    NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Here is a link that might be useful: Pods not available

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I've only ever had Keurig-made coffee a couple of times, both in the last week. I have to say, it was pretty lousy coffee. We have a French press and really like it. We usually buy coffee locally, and have it ground at the store. Recently, after a hiatus of a few years, we've ordered from a place in New York again. The thing I like about this place is that in addition to ordering whatever beans or blends you like, you can specify the roast, i.e., what they ship out to you is freshly roasted and, if you like, freshly ground coffee. Even with shipping costs, the total is about the same as or a little less than the little gourmet food store where we usually shop.

• kiki_thinking
    11 years ago

This thread was great for stocking stuffers next year! Especially the melita cups and filters!

On a related net, what decaf coffee is good? I quit caffeine in spring, but occasionally enjoy a cup of coffee.

• msrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kiki - Glad it was helpful!

If I decide to go with the Keurig, where's the best (cheapest) place to get the k-cups? Do you buy locally or order online?

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

A coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond helps a lot and they have a big selection. Local grocery stores often have sales for a dollar or two off a box and you can buy online from Keurig. Walmart has a limited selection but their prices are pretty good.

I've found that Kohl's is the most expensive, even with a coupon or sale: still more expensive than local supermarket.

• peytonroad
    11 years ago

Costco sells the Keurig pods. I love the Green mountain light roast. I saw that Kirkland made a light roast. I was dissapointed as I thought the Kirkland brand coffee tasted watery. I returned it with no problems. Waiting for the green mountain restock.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I buy big bags of Starbucks French Roast whole beans at Costco. They are 2.5 pounds and cost $21, I think. I love really dark coffee and I drink it black. Buying bags of Starbucks at the stores or the grocery is very expensive.

I don't like using a french press because it leaves so much residue in the cup. I love coffee.

• MizAnnThrope
    11 years ago

Just kind of skimmed above answers, so I hope I'm not being repetitive.

My coffeemaker recently went kaput, so I settled on the Hario method (Japanese pour-over) "Hario Japan" -- mostly bc I loved the kettle. "Hario VKB-120HSV V60 Coffee Drip Kettle Buono"

{{gwi:1527055}}{{gwi:1527056}}{{gwi:1527057}}{{gwi:1527058}}

I'm not a fan of Amazon, but I do buy my filters there in bulk - here's a link for that: "Hario Paper Filter Misarashi for 02 Dripper 100 sheets" Here's a link for the dripper too: "Hario VDC-02W Dripper V60 Size 02 White Ceramic Funnel" All of this stuff is available elsewhere (like Williams Sonoma), you'd just have to search. I liked reading the Amazon reviews.

If you do read some of the longer reviews on Amazon, you'll find detailed directions as to how to make the coffee. I have to admit that I'm not that patient, and I just pour the water in the filter. I really like this method, though, because it allows me to make one fresh cup at a time. I do LOVE my coffee.

Here's a video, too: "Williams Sonoma Hario Video"

Just be careful to get the correct size when matching filters to dripper. And also be careful when using the kettle. While I love that it makes pouring so easy, I don't fill it up too high, and I make sure the spout is not hanging over the side of the stove, because hot water can spit out of the spout when the water really gets boiling.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

You know, that video made me shun the Hario for a long, long time. Unless you're a total coffee snob (I can tell! This coffee was made with water at 195 degrees instead of 200!), it doesn't have to be that complicated at all.

• MizAnnThrope
    11 years ago

Uh, Writersblock, are you calling me a coffee snob?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Nope, just saying that you don't have to make a Hario into as much a production as they do in that video. Can heat water with normal teakettle, for instance. I even manage to make coffee without multiple consults with a timer.

After all, if msrose is also considering a Keurig, that's not like my brother who travels with a burr grinder in his briefcase to avoid the possibility of being confronted with pre-ground coffee sometime, someplace.

On the other hand, if coffee for you is all about the ritual, feel free to knock yourself out. I just wanted to make it clear to msrose that you don't have to have such a complex coffee experience, even with a hario or melitta, if you'd rather not.

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 18:13

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Wow...just watched the Hario video....that's some kind of crazy....I mean I have a life and it's just a cup of coffee. I think there's less rigamarole to transubstantiation!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

French press issue with all the loose grounds, we had someone using it at work and then cleaning out his machine....all the grounds that didn't end up in the trash ended up gathering in the trap of the sink which led to a back up and a need to call the plumber....

• MizAnnThrope
    11 years ago

Well, like I said above:
    I have to admit that I'm not that patient, and I just pour the water in the filter.

You can take away from the video what you want, I guess. I put some grounds in a filter and pour water over them. It's really not that complicated.

To each his own. I wouldn't spend half as much time doing, much less posting about, some things written about ad nauseum on this forum. Nor would I be critical of box wine or Veuve Clicquot, neither of which appeal to me.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm with you Miz, except I use the Melitta cone, because it's just so easy and unbreakable, like when I knock it off the cup before I've had my coffee. For one cup, it is the easiest, low tech way to get a delicious cup of real coffee. I didn't watch the video, but I do wet the grounds and let them swell (for about 15 seconds or less) then pour the rest of the water over them. I have a cup of the best coffee possible in less than a minute (not counting the heating time in my electric water pot, which might be 2 minutes or so). Nothing to clean, the filter and organic coffee grounds go into the compost (I buy unbleached filters).

If I am making a whole pot in a thermos carafe for guests, I do wash the grounds off the sides of the filter (a larger one I use for that) a time or two, after the initial wetting. Then I discard the grounds and fill the rest of the carafe with hot water and shake it up to make sure the plain hot water isn't sitting on top of the stronger coffee below. Everyone raves about the coffee served here. We are a very "good" coffee appreciative community. I don't know anyone with a Keurig or electric coffee maker. We all make it with a cone.

I have no problem being called a coffee snob. Unless I can have good coffee, I'd rather not have any.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

ha! Well I guess that complicated thing is what I do, now that I take in the pictures with Oly's post. One cup drip. Easy as can be and a real good cup of coffee. (Did not watch the video.)

Coffee is an important morning ritual and a treat for a lot of people. Although I'm glad I've gotten off it.

• msrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that I bought a Keurig yesterday. I took redlover's advice and waited until I had a coupon from Kohls. I was lucky and got a 30% one, so it ended up costing me $84.

My son said a friend of his has one and uses each pod 3 times. Does anyone else do that?

• User
    11 years ago

I tried using one pad twice, the second cup was too weak. However it was a mild blend to begin with so maybe a medium blend or darker blend would work twice