SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilafter

please help!- complicated stacking in tiny laundry area

lilafter
16 years ago

sorry, this is long. but in desparate need of advice!

i'm trying to make a laundry area in a small alcove near the back door- width is 35 1/2 inches and depth 45 inches.

sounds doable but the back door swings inside (vs outside) and the hinge starts 24 inches from the far wall. wall to door handle is 56 inches.

with a frigidaire 27" depth, i'll still be able to open the door at least half way. i'm on the first floor in 1921 building with old wood floors over crawl space.

will i absolutely need to place plywood on the floor? i jumped around the small space and it didn't creak or bounce like some areas in my place. can i beef up the joists from under the floor? does anyone have their front loader directly over wood floors without problems????

here is why i have such a headache with the plywood base:/ ,i want to build a platform for a mismatched dryer (ie. cheaper) to go over the washer.

plan A: attach platform to walls. home depot person said if i attach the platform for dryer to the walls- it will shake the walls and feel like the whole house is shaking. scratch plan A...

plan B: came from staring at my drafting table. legs are placed about midlength of the table top so the front/back cantilevers. build platform with 2x3 legs, 2x3 base about 24" long, use heavy duty L brackets to hold base and platform to legs and cross brace in the back.

so here is the dilemma. if i absolutely need to put a plywood base on the floor, it will need to be wider by 4 inches for the legs which then would make it very difficult to open the back door. cursing. lots of cursing.

so here i am, begging, for any other ideas to make this work. i will carefully level.

a thin plywood wouldn't help- would it?

rubber dampening feet?

get a 24" width front loader?- last resort:)

Comments (6)