SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

do you like them, make them, buy them, hate them

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

I'm talking about fruitcakes. Seems I remember it was Johnny Carson who started the bad stuff about them. Since there seems to be some of us older ladies on here maybe someone will have something good to say about them. Fruitcakes have always been a Christmas delight to some of us. When I was very young we got one from a neighbor who made the "real" kind with brandy or rum soaked cheese cloth around it. Then for years my mother ordered them from some mail order ,maybe Texas! They came in a decorated tin..we always had a some for Christmas, and saved some for new years. Then my mom ordered them for my family too and my kids ate it back then. Somewhere along the line they stopped eating fruitcake and started with the comments liker using them for doorstops, etc. For the past several years I have been making one, but mostly only DH sand I eat it, and am reluctant to even offer anyone a piece. I am tempted to bring one to a pot luck one of these days if I have the opportunity to attend a Christmas pot luck. Yesterday I went to get the candied fruit and found that my Albertsons market had none. Tomorrow I will try another market, but am getting worried that maybe since fruitcakes seem to be so unpopular they quit carrying it.
They must have been very popular at one time,,remember the movie on tv about Truman Capote about his aunt making all those fruitcakes and sending them to the lists of people she somehow deemed worthy of getting them.
I do, though, have to admit there are some bad store bought fruitcakes, but then there are some totally not good other bakery goods out there,,but so I can understand why some have never have eaten good fruitcake,, and then somefind the candied fruit too sweet or something. BUT the jokes indicate that one doesn't even taste it-just passes it on to someone else, or uses it for a door stop or whatever.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!