SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinycastles

help! Horrible incident-toxic people and harassment on FB

tinycastles
12 years ago

Not sure why I'm posting this...I never post on conversation side but I am a somewhat frequent contributor on forum side. Anyways, I think I just need to vent to people who don't know me but can maybe relate to what I recently experienced. Maybe I think it will be therapeutic to take comfort in the anonymous world of this forum. So here goes...

Here's the backstory: A woman I know of sent me a friend request on FB a month or two ago. She does not live in my town, and actually lives in a neighboring state. I was hesitant to accept said request because: My profile is totally private and I am not terribly active on it (RARELY comment on walls, never update my status, etc) and to be honest, I barely know this person. She graduated one year ahead in high school, but I was not friends with her then, and have not seen her since. Naturally when I got the request I assumed she was friending me to snoop; check out my pics and nothing more. I had let the request pend for a month or two and finally accepted it on Tuesday afternoon. Not sure why. Giving people the benefit of the doubt, maybe.

I checked FB on my iPhone today and to my suprise, had a message from a young man (teenager, I presumed). I opened it and was horrified to read a harassing vicious message, one that mentioned parts of my anatomy and berating me. He stated in the message certain comments he "heard from his mom". I had NO IDEA who this person was....until I clicked on our common friends and realized his mother was the woman I had just accepted as a friend the day before!!! I have never seen this young man before in my life. I do not know him, who his father is, and like I mentioned before, barely know the mother!

I was shocked, sick to my stomach, angry, disgusted....the list goes on. What would prompt a teenage kid to write something like this to some woman they have never met or don't even know??!!!? Part of me is certain the mother put him up to it, or at least had a hand in it. Maybe the mother was looking at my pics in front of her family gossiping about me??? I find it coincidental I accepted her request and receive the disgusting message a day later. In my shocked state, I immediately blocked him, reported the message to FB, and then blocked her.

I feel violated and shell-shocked. Thoughts? What would you have done?

Comments (21)