SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

uses for balsalmic vinegar?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I just picked up my first bottle of balsalmic vinegar today while grocery shopping. I got as an ingredient for salad dressing recipes.

What else can be done with balsalmic vinegar?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, make that Balsamic... I added an l that doesn't exist! I bet no one would have known what I was talking about if I hadn't made the correction! LOL

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

It's great drizzled over a plate of olive oil for dunking rustic or foccacia bread in. It's good drizzeled over strawberries. Used in marinades, used in brushcetta. It can be reduced down, and used as a drizzle for garnish on plates etc. Hope this helps. I use it for alot of things, but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment.

Shelley

• Related Discussions

Using vinegar to kill bamboo

Q

Comments (17)
    Well, that's unfortunate, but, if you've read this thread, you should realize your approach won't work and you will only succeed in possibly messing up your soil. Sorry, but this is a common problem that has no easy, magical chemical solution. Also, while I understand you don't want it in your yard, bamboo does not damage foundations, so, if that is your primary cocern, you're worrying about nothing. If you want an effective and permanent solution, you'll get a pickaxe, dig the bamboo out, and install bamboo barrier.
    ...See More

Using vinegar and hot water to kill weeds

Q

Comments (4)
    ^^ Precisely!! Vinegar or boiling water (not just 'hot') ony serve to dessicate or dry out the foliage. Neither has any effect on the roots on any perennial weeds (annuals, perhaps).......certainly not on the roots of woody trees or shrubs. btw, the vinegar need to be applied while plants are in active growth and during daylight hours.....preferably in full sun.
    ...See More

Using vinegar to lower the soil Ph.

Q

Comments (6)
    Don’t know if it’s just me, but my home measurements consistently overstated Ph. By the time I had it tested by the university, I was down to ph 3.8. Get it done by the lab first. why wait with the sulfur? A little bit now won’t hurt. I’d plan on amending with copious amounts of (gasp!) peat moss if I were in a hurry. N fert should be ammonium sulfate. Rather than vinegar, I’d use a dilute solution of sulfuric acid. A 3% solution, 45-50 ml in a 1.75 L glass container of water is about 2X as strong as brining vinegar. You can get the red bottle liquid plumber stuff at the hardware store. Research and take appropriate safety precautions, of course. maybe 3-4 capfuls of your solution in a 5 gallon bucket of water will take the water down to ph 5-6 —-“acid rain” which is what you want. I just wouldn’t try and change the overall soil chemistry with liquid acid alone.
    ...See More

Uses for white vinegar

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks.
    ...See More
  • craftyrn
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhh-- drizzle it over a bowl of really fresh strawberries -- yummy ! Even better-- slice the strawberries, top with a dollop of real whipped cream, then drizzle with the balsamic !!

• jimster
    15 years ago

I often use a little on cooked greens.

Jim

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I tried Diane's suggesting last year and all I can say is yum! I would have never thought of that combo but now see it mentioned on cooking shows and magazines.

Another one I like is roasted fresh green beans with evoo, salt, pepper, and balsamic. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes give or take.

David

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Hey Bobby -- I actually don't like it on salads (too strong for me), but it is FANTASTIC in this recipe from the recipe exchange forum. One of my all time favorites for pork tenderloin, though I have used the sauce on pork chops as well

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic Raisin Sauce

• lindac
    15 years ago

There are many many kinds of balsmic vinegars....
    Too strong?? What's strong? Sour? Sweet???
    I have some white balsamic that really is quite sour and some pomegranite balsamic vinegar that is very fruity, and some that is aged 15 years and costs more than fine brandy that is lovely and some tangerine balsamic...very very nice...just for dipping bread, or drizzled over asparagus or on strawberries or a salad of baby greens. It's also great as the "vermouth" in a vodka martini and the creme de cassis in a kir.
    Strong? Do you mean like flavorful?
    Bobby you have just scratched the surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinegars...

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I'll go with Linda. The production, type and age of the vinegar makes a big difference in how it's used.

Here's a page that will probably tell you more about Balsamic than you ever wanted to know (including links to some recipes).

And enjoy. Good Balsamic is a wonderful addition to food.

(For most uses I buy Acetaia Leonardi Balsamico Condimento.)

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Understanding Balsamic Vinegar

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Use it in a marinade for chicken with olive oil, salt/pepper, fresh rosemary and bake with thinly sliced onion.

• dlynn2
    15 years ago

I like to brown some butter, let it cool, then add a several drops of balsamic. I use it for a quick sauce over some gnocchi. Sometimes I add a little garlic or parmesan.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

I'm very sorry I don't remember who originally posted this here last fall. This was a delicious and easy way to prepare veal chops. It's amazing how much that balsamic vinegar adds. Method/recipe below:

Balsamic-Glazed Veal Chops

1/2 cup olive oil
    2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    4 veal chops
    salt and pepper

Prepare your grill.

Combine oil and vinegar and use half to marinate the veal for 1 hour. Use the other half to baste while grilling. Grill until done, about 3 minutes on each side or however you like it.

I liked the balsamic with veal chops so much that this weekend I'm thinking of digging out a recent Fine Cooking recipe that included marinating flank steak in balsamic vinegar (unfortunately, until I dig it out, I don't recall the rest of that recipe).

Lynn.

• susytwo
    15 years ago

When I make pasta primavera, I always add one or two tablespoons of balsamic to the vegetable sautee pan, let it reduce for a minute, and then pour it over pasta. Add some grated parm and it's delicious.

This recipe is also very good and really easy. I've made it a number of times: Braised Balsamic Chicken

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

Balsamic vinegar drizzled on a plate with olive oil and chopped fresh basil and topped with slices of ripe tomatoes (a sprinkle of salt or fetta cheese optional). I can make a meal of that...

I like it in chutney as well.

-Grainlady

• kayskats
    15 years ago

when this recipe was printed several years ago, the writer commented that "even people who won't eat beets like this recipe -- if you can get 'em to try it." One of my other favorites is skillet cooked balsamic-glazed pearl onions

Balsamic-glazed beets
    Makes 6 servings
    Source: Based on Washington Post Recipe

4 medium fresh beets
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Balsamic vinegar

Cut tops from beets leaving 1/2 inch. Wrap each beet in heavy duty foil. Place on a pan in a slow oen (250°F) and roast 90 minutes to 2 hours or until tender. Remove from oven and let stand still wrapped in foil. When able to handle, remove foil and slip skin and tops from beets. Slice or cut in wedges.
    While still warm, add salt and pepper to taste and splash generously with Balsamic vinegar. Let stand at least 30 minutes and serve at room temperature.

Balsamic-glazed onions
    Makes 8 servings
    Source: Gourmet, 1994

2 1/2 pounds pearl onions (8 cups assorted white, brown, red)
    2 tbsps olive oil
    1 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup water

Blanch onions (1/3 at a time) 3 minutes. Drain, cool and peel. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onions until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add vinegar and water and simmer stirring occasionaly about 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer onions to a platter*. Simmer liquid until thickened and syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup. Spoon over onions. Serve at room temp.

*if preparing in advance: reserve liquid and chill separately up to two days. Reheat in liquid, adding a little water if needed.

• irislover7b
    15 years ago

For the recipe in Susytwo's link, what would be a good balsamic vinegar to use? I have one I got at the grocery store, Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar, "Acidity 6%, contains sulfites...Product of Spain". I bought it but have never known what to do with it.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Kayskats - I love beets (my husband doesn't). I'll have to try that recipe. Thanks.

I made the marinated flank steak recipe. It was quite good but I'd make modifications. Here's the recipe as stated:

marinate 1 1/2-2 pound flank steak (from 1-12 hours)
    Marinade:
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 TBS balsamic vinegar
    1 TB minced fresh garlic
    1 TB rosemary (we hate rosemary so I omitted this)
    1 TB fresh oregano or sage (we used oregano - with some added sage)

Having made this, I'd repeat it with changes. I think there should be more balsamic. The recipes above suggest closer to half and half balsamic and olive oil (my balsamic from Trader Joe's is mild and sweet, so maybe that's why I think it could take more vinegar). definitely salt and pepper (before or after cooking - not sure which is better). The flavor was nice, but it needed more punch. It think more balsamic and salt is all it needed, but perhaps more garlic and herbs as well.

Lynn.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

A balsamic reduction (just simmer balsamic until it reduces by half) is a wonderful last minute brush on fritatta or other egg dishes, grilled or roasted veggies, or garlic bread (I brush it on the crust, quickly while it's hot so it dries without making the crust mushy). Using a little balsamic vinegar instead of sugar when caramelizing onions is very tasty.

• Virginia7074
    15 years ago

Last week, I caught an episode of Ciao Italia, with Mary Ann Esposito. She made a flourless chocolate cake with a secret ingredient which she to be balsamic vinegar - maybe about a tablespoon.

Here's a description from PBS; I haven't been able to find the recipe online yet:

"A chocolate cake with a mysterious letter on it and a secret ingredient inside? Mary Ann sleuths the origins of the Torta Barozzi, a rich chocolate cake made in Vignola, a small town outside Modena, Italy. She reveals the secret, and then keeps things sweet by preparing a family favorite, Chocolate Walnut Cake; a moist, dense cake with an almost pudding-like texture topped with a luscious cream and walnut sauce."

• dances_in_garden
    15 years ago

I mix it with soy sauce, pepper, garlic powder and powdered ginger and brush it onto pork chops to go on the grill. They look dark on the outside, but the taste is so good! You don't actually taste the vinegar at all after they are grilled (meaning not sweet and not sour either). You can marinate them in that as well.

I also mix it with a bit of dijon mustard and mayonaise to top cooked and cooled baby potatoes for an ugly (the sauce is a tan colour LOL) but very very tasty potato salad.

In the summer when the tomatoes are very ripe and lucious, I chop some coarsely and mix with salt, pepper, and a bit of balsamic. The sweetness and tartness accents that deep savory summer tomato flavour. ESPECIALLY brandywine or other heirlooms.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Super on strawberries, tomatoes, vegetables, etc.

A couple of months ago I made a chicken dish - boneless chicken breasts that I pounded down and cooked in my cast iron skillet in butter & olive oil. Removed breasts, scrapped the bits and added Ina's Balsamic Onions and NE Cranberry Relish, cooked for a bit and then added breasts back...wonderful meal!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I just made grilled Vidalia onions last night, my favorite way to use balsamic. Just peel the onion, cut nearly to the bottom one way then the other, like you're going to dice it (did that make sense?). Put it on a piece of foil, spread the petals of onion apart a little and make a cup of the tinfoil. Drizzle the onion with about a tablespoon of balsamic and put a pat of butter on top. Salt and pepper and put on the grill along with your chosen entree. I like them still a bit firm, so about 20 minutes works for me, if you close the grill lid they get nice and smoky. Ashley likes them cooked a bit longer, so they are softer. Experiment as you like.

I also have some strawberry balsamic that Sherry bought for me in Saugatuck, it's perfect to drizzle on fruit, especially strawberries and it's awesome in a citrus fruit based salad dressing.

Annie

• Lars
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1488037}}

I used Fondo di Trebbiano balsamic vinegar on these strawberries. The cork on the bottle has a seal that says "A.P.I. 24 MO", which means that it is "tradizionale" from Modena. Is this the type of vinegar that you are asking about? I use it very sparingly, and a little goes a long way, but it has a wonderful intense flavor. I like it on apple slices as well as strawberries, but I tend not too put it into recipes with many ingredients, since the flavor of the vinegar needs to stand out on its own. The price has gone up drastically since I last bought it (about a year and a half ago) because of the declining value of the dollar, and it is much more expensive on line than at Surfas, my local restaurant supply shop.

What brand of balsamic vinegar did you buy? As Linda said, there are great variations in this type of vinegar, even among the ones that come from Modena.

Lars