SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

No light rail with under cab lights?

judydel
14 years ago

I never really considered under cabinet lighting to be important in our remodel. We have something like 13 recessed lights and one pendant in our kitchen area (not including beverage center area and eating area). These are on multiple switches, and thanks to our BIL we now have dimmers. I think we have enough options to create "ambiance" without the under cabs.

But when my BIL came to visit this weekend he made it clear he disagrees. He does electrical and plumbing work in Palm Springs and he is trying to sway us to put in under cab lights now (he'll help) before we do the tile. He keeps saying that it adds ambiance options.

Because I didn't plan on these, I didn't go with a light rail. Our cabinet already extend down 14" off of the counter (instead of the normal 18") so I don't want to add a light rail because I don't really want to go down any lower.

He and my DH are trying to convince me that the GE LED lights won't show even though the lip under the cabinets is minimal without the light rail. When sitting at our table, I can see underneath one cabinet at the end of the row.

Does anyone else have this situation . . . under cab lights without light rail?

Does it bother you to see them when sitting at a table? How much light rail do you need to hide these LED lights, if I did go for one??

He also thinks we should switch to stainless steel/black light switches. I've never seen them, but he says they are really sharp with stainless appliances and soapstone counters.

He had very strong ideas of what to change in our kitchen, but the only compliment he paid was about the travertine floors : ( It's discouraging because he's the first family member to pay us a visit since the remodel.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz