SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skimmton_chi

Sealer/Quartz yellowing & arguing with cabinetmaker

skimmton_chi
11 years ago

Hi all
I ended up with slightly darker cabinets (that look even darker with the amount of light in the kitchen) than I initially intended to get, so am now stuck with having to choose light countertops (I prefer kitchens with contrast).

I was convinced I'd get quartz because of its supposed duribility, but have been leaning against that because of:
- costs (other projects have eaten up budget)
- the lighter colors don't seem to have the "depth" to them that natural stone and darker quartz do
- and now I've heard that the acrylic in the countertops yellows over time (this makes sense, however I haven't found much visual evidence to back this up).

The last item (yellowing), has led me to finding out that sealants do the same. So my 1st questions for you are:

1. How long does it take for quartz to yellow? Do you not even notice because you're living with it or is it a drastic change?

2. If you have a light/white granite countertop, did sealer drastically yellow the countertop? How often do you have to put sealant on?
(I'm not really willing NOT to put sealant on as apparently the lighter granites are more porous & I have a friend who instantly got stains on hers from some oil.

Finally- door not closing
See really exciting video of the "spice" door not autoclosing (not even fully closing), but the trash door autoclosing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qivbkZSleqo

I was promised autoclose/soft close on all of my cabinets. "spice" base cabinet came with no door and no autoclose. They installed the door front, but are now telling me that their base spice cabinet doesn't come with autoclose- that it doesn't have autoclose in their showroom (they have 2- they are not a huge company). They won't give me any reason for it
So the final question is:

-Would this be acceptable to you?

If so, why?
Is it possible it's not a wide enough to install the soft close or they somehow think it would be too heavy?

-If not acceptable, any hints on getting this fixed?
Their "guy" is coming Friday. If he doesn't fix it (they've said he'll look at it but that that cabinet doesn't come with soft close- which sounds like he just coming by to give me some condescending lecture), I guess bad reviews of their company all over the web & BBB complaint are the next steps?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet not closing properly

Comments (3)