SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Keeping up with your looks, etc.

tinam61
11 years ago

I wanted to start a new thread on this and hope that it does not get heated. I find this aspect of Bumble's thread very interesting. I do not want another "friendly reminder", so hopefully I do not come across as bickering, etc.

So how do you feel about keeping yourself up? Being the best you can be, etc.?

I've posted this before here, that I do believe in being the best you can be - but not just referring to looks. I had a great role model. My grandmother is 95. Unless she was not feeling well, even if she was not leaving the house, she got up, touched up her hair, put on a dab of make-up and dressed. In my eyes she is beautiful and her ways have always influenced me. She said she just felt better getting up and getting herself together. Presenting herself that way to whoever - whether it just be my pappaw, whether she was going to work, the store, friends dropping by, etc. She always enjoyed pretty clothing and knew what flattered her. I took alot of this from her. I'm not one to slouch around the house in sweats or pjs or something that makes me look dumpy. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this - if it's what you enjoy - go for it! I might do this for a day every here and there, but most of the time, I don't feel good about myself looking like that. I seem to have more "get up and go" if I dress, make myself presentable, etc. Now I am one who does not wear a ton of make-up and on my time at home I wear even less, but it only takes a little to make yourself look nice. It never fails when I'm looking my worst - that is when I run into someone. Not that looks are the most important thing of course, but I'm like that in other aspects - why not put your best foot forward - including how you look/dress? Do I do it for my husband - no? Does he appreciate/enjoy it? Yes! We both try to live a healthy lifestyle and take care of ourselves - in part for the other. I'm not stupid to think there are not women out there who flirt with my husband. He is an attractive man. I work with a woman who comments on his looks at every opportunity LOL. I hope what I am saying is coming across. Looking my best makes me feel good about myself, and that comes across in how I act, even my level of energy!

Looks are by far the least important thing to me - either personally or in my marriage. But I don't apologize for "putting my best foot forward", or at least trying to.

I have to comment on one woman here - I know she is a bit older than me and she's shared her pic on here a few times. Mitch!!! She is always so put together and I love her eyeglasses! Mitch - you are good motivation to me. I'm sure there are others - but Mitch just comes to mind.

I'll be interested to hear what you all think. I want to make it clear that looks or how one keeps one self up is by no means an excuse for a partner to stray.

tina

Comments (103)

• RoseAbbey
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • graywings123
    11 years ago

roseabbey, that link didn't work for me, but there was an article for homemade Twinkies. So, thanks!

• Related Discussions

Do you have trouble keeping up with your berry picking?

Q

Comments (7)
    Well, I think that happens to everyone pretty much, unless they're retired or something. I know that this summer, I've neglected my garden a LOT compared to last year, because I've been doing major home improvement projects that I neglected for a couple of years to do my garden. You just take the good with the bad, and realize that NEXT YEAR will come fast. Six months ago, it was snowing here and I was just starting to sow peppers, etc., indoors under lights. It practically seems like yesterday. Now, those things are bearing, frost will be here soon, then the holidays, then it will be time to start again. The cycle of the seasons. Most species of berries don't self-sow all that much from what I've found. Black raspberries, mulberries, and shadberries can be bad. The rest not so much.
    ...See More

Need tips on keeping my garden looking great-huge party coming up

Q

Comments (4)
    I had a similar garden party last year, a big family reunion, so I can sympathize with your anxiety. Here's how I handled it. To do now: - Deadhead like crazy, so you've got fresh growth and blooms in August. - If you've got a problem area where you've always been meaning to add another shrub or two, go ahead and put those shrubs in. - Take a critical look at your lawn, and lay down fresh sod in bare spots. Don't bother with grass seed... your timeline calls for sod. - Examine your garden walkways. Do they need to be widened or extended or leveled so people don't trip and fall? Do that kind of work now, so it has time to settle in. Repair gates so they open easily. To do throughout the summer: - Keep the garden REALLY well watered. - Don't bother weeding. You'll exhaust yourself if you try to keep up with it, and you need to spend some time getting the inside of your house ready. The perennials will do fine, even if they're surrounded by weeds. To do in August: - Two weeks before the event, thoroughly weed out the entire garden, re-edge all of the beds with a garden spade, and put down fresh mulch. - Three days before the event, mow the grass. If you mow it any closer to the day of the event than that, people will have fresh grass clippings sticking to their shoes. And remember to have FUN on the big day, basking in the compliments you're sure to receive!
    ...See More

Keeping it real: what did YOU end up spending on your houseplan?

Q

Comments (18)
    We bought our plan on line with CAD (so B) and then paid an architect (that came with our builder) to modify them. The floor plans were modified slightly. Most of the mods were 1) adding basement, 2) modifying the load bearing walls and floor trusses to handle basement and local code for loads, 3) changing the roof design to lower the cost. The only wasted money on the on-line plan purchase was the CAD drawing. The architect we used drew by hand which I would avoid if doing this over again (which I won't!). I would not purchase the CAD file until you needed it and make sure it is compatible with the software and version number that your architect or designer is using. If you can find a house plan on line that requires little to no modification, then you can get by with A or B. However, realize that the plans you buy may not conform to your local building code and may not be buildable within your budget. Our on-line plan had a very complicated roof design and a lot of ornate trim on the exterior. We modified the roof and the exterior look and drastically lowered the building cost. The original plan also had floor truss spans that were too long for our location. The house plan was designed for Texas code(no basement and no snow to speak of - so longer spans are permitted). We built our louse in VA - snow is an issue so the loads are different. Even if you wind up hiring an architect, you can save a lot of money by getting an on-line plan to start with that is close to what you think you want. The floor plan is key - exterior and roof can usually be changed to whatever type you like. 2 dimensional floor plans are very deceiving since it is very hard to get a good feel for the actual space size. Once we bought our on-line plan, we made scale paper cut outs of our furniture (use circle, rectangle or squares to mark outside dimensions of your things) and put them onto the plan. You may be shocked at how small rooms are. Carefully look at closets and garages - notorious for being too small. Make a paper cut out of your car/truck and put it on the plan - can you open the doors without hitting the walls? Depending on the design, you might want to hire a local architect to at least review them and/or modify them to your local code. During this update, having the builder providing input can also be a good idea to make sure you end up with a design that can be built to your budget. We also learned the hard way that having an HVAC duct and firplace chase plan is a good idea before you settle on the final plans. We lost a small closet and had to cut out areas from 2 other closets to get our hvac return ducts in - and we weren't happy with that. We also had a huge issue with installing a gas fireplace and finding room for the ducts. The original plan used a ductless fireplace which we did not realize at first and we wanted a ducted fireplace that could serve as a heating unit. Fitting the ducts into our house within the allowed number of bends was an engineering miracle, and we had to lower the ceiling and adjust a wall in our first floor powder room to get things to fit. Good luck with the house.
    ...See More

It's not looking good..Keep your fingers crossed for me will you?(((

Q

Comments (25)
    You know, It did survive after all that!..lol It's out back right up against my house in full sun that has yet to come in.. I forgot about what that poor tree went through..I pulled it in last night because temps were dropping it no the 20's, so perfect timing to take pics.. By the way, my Dad thought I was using that gallon bottle as a water bottle..He did;t even smell the vinegar as he was pouring it.lol I sure did when I got home and I didn't realize he did that until it started to just crash! Let me go and take pics, I'll be right back. Ok, here it is...The leaves did come back after I cut all the daed branches off...They came back small and some now bigger, the lower part, but I have had this one in as much sun as possible to get it back to health fast since then fertilizing the heck out of it. It was sitting at work in ALL DAY sun all winter last year, and then I took it home and stuck it in the most sunniest spot here at my house..It is still playing catch up after all this time since it still has yet to produce flowers and fruit, but it's alive..That's all that matter for now!! Thanks for asking everyone..Wow Notice the higher leaves smaller and tighter together? That a is what FULL sun all winter until now will do..The lower branches leaves are bigger because they got less sunshine... The huge chunk of branches I had to cut off..(
    ...See More
  • sis3
    11 years ago

Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times Article - Gray Hair

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Wow...what a seriously messed up person she is ! Hard to believe that she has such distorted body image. Her take on what to do/not do when your hair starts to turn grey and the meaning of it are just plain stupid.

"But that is the problem with hair once it starts to turn gray: there is no version of invisible. There is always the tell. To dye one�s hair is to confess to caring, to fighting age: it fools no one, although it reveals the effort to do so. It only tells the viewer that I am someone who is unwilling and unready to give in to the physical symbols of aging, which is its own social signaling. But not to dye one�s hair is to make a whole other statement: I am someone who does not care. And I am not ready for that one, either."

I'll keep my silver frosting...thank you very much !!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

The way I figure it is that if you don't take care of yourself who will?

Taking care of my health through proper eating and exercise is done so that I will, hopefully, not need the medical system when I'm older. It is so overwhelmed now and with us baby boomers coming up and aging it will become even more burdened. If I take care of myself I won't be one of those who require the medical system. But, who knows, there is never a sure thing.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, your grey is fabulous! My mother had natural white/platinum hair that was also fabulous. I, however, do not seem be getting that kind of grey. Especially with redder hair color, my stylist has a new grey hair formula to better cover and not have it look pink. Not that there's a problem with pink hair either.

Getting my hair professionally colored and styled is probably my big splurge along with going to the Benefit counter to get waxing done. I don't really do manicures or pedicures. Manicures don't last, and I got an infected toe nail bed a few years ago, and I've been reluctant ever since.

I am fortunate I am blessed with great skin through both sides of my family, so that is a huge help. I can get by most days with face powder, blush, lipstick/gloss, and some minimal eye makeup. I also avoid the sun, drink lots of water, and eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables per day.

I work long hours during the school year and going clothes shopping is just something I don't have time to do after I workout, fix dinner, commute 30 min each way, and do what I need on the weekends around the house and to prep for the week. I'll go on Black Friday to get gifts for DH, MIL, my sister, etc. and I'll pick up clothes for me, too, since I actually have a long weekend. I'm trying, though perimenopause and hypothyroid have not been kind to my body. :(

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I think it all boils down to how you feel about yourself. Everyone has their own idea of how much or how little make up you should use.
    I have to say though, it is nice that when you do take extra care, that a friend or coworker might notice and say something nice.
    I do envy people who can go gray. Mine is salt and pepper, like my parents were. To me, that just is not attractive for a woman. Of course at some point, I might not care, but until then, its trips to the salon.
    There are some people, I have a sister like this, that do not care in the least how they look.. By her appaearance, you would not think she is the affluent and smart person that she is. In the past, I would be upset with her for not dressing appropriately for special family occasions. So, although I never confronted her, I would start months before the event and start emailing about waht I was wearing or what myu other sister was shopping for. Se got the hint and now at least buys something new.
    This may seem shallow, but I feel we should repect important occasions by looking appropriate.
    The flip side, and I do see one, is how nice it is to simply not care about your appearance or your clothes.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

The flip side, and I do see one, is how nice it is to simply not care about your appearance or your clothes.
    By dividing my time into going out in public and being home, I'm able to have a great deal of "not caring about my appearance" time. When I am home, I'm invariably cleaning, cooking, gardening or snuggling a dog and generally filthy.

So I wear migrant worker/refugee clothing almost all the time at home. It's nice not thinking about clothing or how I look but I don't see anyone all day either.
    If I go too long like this, over two days, I get depressed. Dh is oblivious to this look btw, and I do clean up a little for him...

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I enjoyed this woman's thoughts on aging, I read it as her really wishing she did not care, and feeling shallow for caring that much, I come from a family of hair dyers, and I do admire my friends who have gone totally white or grey, although I know I would not be able to pull it off .
    ( like Trailrunner rocks it, we should all be so lucky) .

or maybe I lack the confidence to own up to my silver hair, that's probably it and I could relate to a lot of that woman's musing on hair and aging . At the end of my monthly appointment for hair colour, I sometimes think :
    "oh shoot, I have to go through all this again in 4 weeks" .

• RoseAbbey
    11 years ago

The deciding factor for me not to dye my hair anymore was the fact that my skin color actually looks better with my natural silver than the color I was getting from coloring my hair. I had tried several shades of blonde in my thirties. I started going grey in my early twenties. I did finally succeed in finding a color that looked good but it only lasted a week or so. Once the sun and shampoo got to the color it went brassy. I get more compliments now than when I was younger, both on my hair and skin!

• awm03
    11 years ago

Just a follow up and another thanks to you all for the wedding make-up advice. After checking out various department stores, drugstores, & asking around, I settled on an upscale salon in town for a fabulous wash & wear hair cut and a great make-up tutorial. The store was actually out of stock for their make-up products, so I never felt like the stylist was selling. She made sure I knew the color types so I could buy similar products at the drug store. She gave me a pen and paper so I could write down each step, what the product was, why it was used, and the color. In her opinion, the drug store products are perfectly fine to use. The key is in the application tools, she thinks, and she recommended sponges for some things, certain brushes for others, and especially moisturizer followed by a primer so the make-up sits well on the skin.

One stroke of good luck is that we were sitting near an accent wall that was painted the same color as my mother-of-the-groom dress, so she did a super job of matching make-up to dress.

We had a lovely weekend: rehearsal dinner, wedding, reception were all just grand. And I got so many comments on how pretty I looked! My husband complimented me all evening long, dear sweet thing that he is.

Thanks again for steering me to the right path. Feeling so much more confident now.

• golddust
    11 years ago

That is great news, awm. Tell us about the wedding!!

As far as maintaining looks, I try my best but I do it for me. My DH appreciates our deep emotional bond far more than he appreciates my looks. I know as long as we maintain that, he will never stray.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wondered why this thread was back up - especially after the stupid emails I received regarding it!!!

tina

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

thanks for the follow up, Awn, it seems like a wonderful wedding.

• awm03
    11 years ago

The most fun was our sons & their friends wanting us out on the dance floor all evening long. What a compliment that they wanted us in on their crazy fun. And it did get a little crazy -- the guys were wearing their ties around their heads by the end of the evening. It was as much a sing along as it was a dance. Who knew young kids knew all the words to Mack the Knife? For the mother/groom dance, I chose Sweet Baby James -- oh the moms dabbing at their eyes with napkins!

• yborgal
    11 years ago

I'm late joining in, but I feel better if I like what I see in the mirror. It only takes a minute to comb my hair and put on a little make-up so I do that every morning. One thing you'll never see me without is my pierced earrings...generally they're hoops. For some reason, they makes me feel just a little bit sexy.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I so agree Mona, even more so since I turned 60 last year. No earrings for me but I always wear some sort of necklace, even if it's only a silver link chain.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

Mitch, you're still a young lass. I turned 70 this past September. (Where did the years go?)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Mona, you are exceptionally young looking for 70, I remember the photos.

I do remember being in my twenties and looking at my aunts in their early 50's and wondering how I would feel looking "old" like them.
    so my perception has changed immensely.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I read through this thread and want to comment on the hair color issue that I have and I think a lot of other people do too. My hair started turning gray in my early thirties. Genetics I suppose as that is the way it was for my dad. I have naturally soft black hair and when my gray was more visible at the temples, I went to a salon recommended by my friends and started coloring. It was fine for about 2 years but then the itching started. Changed salons, products and the itching kept getting worse. My scalp would get scabby after and when I went to the doctor, I had to be prescribed prednisone (a pretty powerful steroid). I reasearched this and turns out that the ingredient I am most allergic to is PPD or PPDA. Phenylenediamine is present in more than 99.5% of hair dyes and I am very allergic to it as are many many thousands of people. Personally, this has been pretty traumatizing. I work in a professional environment where business casual means groomed personable self. I stopped coloring after a couple of trips to emergency room when I thought just a touch up will work, or believed the aluminum foils will somehow protect my scalp or that special imported hair dye from Germany really does not have PPD.. My doctor flatout told me that if I come to him one more time with hair dye allergies, he will stop seeing me. People including random strangers have told me that I would look a lot better if I colored my hair. My mentor at work (a senior VP at work who is very smart and I respect a lot) told me that I should do "something". I explained about my allergies briefly and she looked at me in the eye and told me I should figure out something. A couple years ago, when my workplace started a work from home program, I signed on.. Looking back, the stress of trying to hide my grey was a big part of the attraction of being able to work from home. I still do need to travel for work and often present in large conferences. But it is a chore. I usually straighten my hair before a business trip and use herbal hair tint that lasts about a week. It camouflages the gray somewhat. There are a lot of gray haired men but I rarely rarely see a woman. Especially someone who is working in a professional career. I do feel that it is somewhat unnatural in our culture that this is so. When one sees people without hair color or makeup, it is quite possible that they may be allergic.

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

GWlolo, it's hard to imagine anyone being so rude as to make comments about your hair color! If it bothers you, perhaps henna would be an option? I know a couple of people who are unable to use hair color due to health issues but can use henna (and personally I think the color is much prettier. One mixes a couple of colors together to achieve the best color for her.). Just a thought:)

This post was edited by funnygirl on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 1:07

• judithn
    11 years ago

GWlolo, We've had some long conversations on this board about grey hair vs. colored hair. You might want to look at some of them. Lots of women are choosing to let their hair color go natural due to health concerns, desire to reduce chemical exposure, etc. In my opinion, if someone wants to color their hair, great. But no one should be pressured into it, esp. not if it is a risk to their health. I am very sorry for your workplace experience. I can't believe in this day and age anyone would say anything about anyone's personal appearance -- seems almost like it could open a company up to legal problems. In any case, I second the idea about using henna. It is totally PPD-free and you can find lots of information on how to choose the color and how to apply it online. I don't use it myself but have friends who do and their hair looks very nice. People say it improves the thickness and health of your hair. As a note: it seems to me that the number of women who sport grey hair might be different in different regions of the country. I can't say I've got any scientific analysis to back this up, but it seems like women in New England states go natural more often.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

When we took our New England vacation this year, I especially noticed that in Vermont and New Hampshire. Not in Boston. I've always lived in South Carolina and that, and the predominantly dark clothing colors are different than here.
    But I do think that's terrible, Gwlolo.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

GWlolo, for another 'professional' to be so blatant about your gray hair is IMO, very unprofessional. Since when does hair color interfere with doing a good job~the real problem is the superficiality of everything around us.

If you feel you *have* to 'comply' , how about buying a wig in a shade of your original hair color? My best friend is never w/o hers, and actually has at least 3 in different styles, but the same color/length. She even got me interested enough to buy one! It's nice to have the option and in your case might be the ideal problem solver.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I am guessing that you work in an industry where looking more youthful is important.
    Going grey should be a personal choice.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

GWlolo - just curious if men in your profession are held to the same ridiculous "standards" regarding their gray hair?

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Sunny, I was thinking the same thing. Awful that women have to worry about their looks in order to be taken seriously in the professional world. I'm appalled someone who is supposed to be your mentor would treat you that way, especially after you told her about your allergy. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but just sad that the business world still operates this way WRT women.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

We haven't come so far after all, have we?

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

No. And it is ridiculous. Outrageous. And I don't think we women are helping ourselves, or each other, with these sorts of threads. Except when someone like GWlolo steps up and tells us how she is affected by our culture's tendency to want all women to look like ageless Barbie dolls. Gawd. Perhaps that will lead some who think we all need to "look our best" at all times to rethink what looking our best really means and how important it is.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I work in a high tech company in their marketing department in a management position. To be honest, I think the executive VP was being brutally honest and advising me to take care of it somehow. I appreciated her candor. I also did not get into too much detail about the intensity of my allergy with her. I now "take care of it" by straightening my hair and taking care to tuck the gray sections under my dark hair so that it is not too obvious. Am I bugged by this and think this is ageist, sexist etc.. yes I do. But I am also a pragmatist and I don't want any negative first impressions to impact career growth for me. Am I capitulating to soceity's norms - is coloring hair today akin to binding feet in ancient china or neck stretching in burma and thailand? Perhaps yes.. but I saw no choice. I did however email and write to major hair color manufacturers to formulate without ppd. C'est la vie! I do not look my best but good enough to pass muster.

And yes there are several gray haired men including another guy who is my peer who is completely salt and pepper and has been gray since college.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

GWlolo, grey hair can be very attractive and fashionable....if you have the right hairstyle.

I have several friends who decided to go grey. Their hairstyles in grey were very aging, but they got new, trendier cuts and they look absolutely fabulous.

Have you thought about getting a different cut and funkier style?

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I so agree with mona! Haircut is everything. When our hair looks good, we feel better about ourselves.
    Yes, there are many women out there that do not care about their looks in the least. Then, they should pass over this thread, and that's OK.
    Of course it is unfair that the men get to do what they want. But honestly, and I don't know why, but men seem to look OK with a salt and pepper look, while I am hard pressed to find a women who looks good with salt and pepper.
    Yes I envy women with all silver or white hair with a great haircut. Who wants to have to color their hair if they felt they could get away with it?
    There are certain industries where looks are important.
    Another example is fitness instructors. Some organizations hire instructors who are overweight and not in the best of shape. I take issue with this. This is supposed to be my role model and I want to have something to inspire to, no matter how unrealistic.
    For me, I will keep coloring as long as it feels right for me.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Ellendi, I feel the opposite as you about fitness instructors. We all come in different sizes and shapes, and for some people, no matter how hard they work at it, they are not going to necessarily be thin with defined muscles. I have friends who are triathletes who you would look at and not believe it, but believe it or not, they are pretty fit. Honestly, I look at them and think, "If they can do it, so can I." However, when I look at several of the instructors at my gym, I look at them and think, "I will never look like that, no matter how hard I try." Why? Because I was blessed with a different figure and even when I am at my thinnest, my body does not have the same proportions. While you may not be motivated by someone who appears overweight to you, there are plenty of other people who are. And I say, good for them that they are doing they best they can with the body they have.

If you need to be inspired by unrealistic fitness instructors, then find a gym that hires them, but it's offensive to me that you take issue with gyms that do hire them. Makes me feel sad for my friend, who despite having 5 children in 9 years and is overweight compared to most instructors, yet teaches at least 5 cardio and strength training classes per week. I find it refreshing to see an instructor out there who doesn't look like she spends all of her time exercising.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

GWlolo,
    I also have a smattering of topical allergies. Just wondering if you had been diagnosed by a TRUE test.

I ask, because like you I reacted to PPD, but my I can tolerate professional coloring. Why? The bigger culprit to my allergy problems was preservatives, found in almost all standard shampoo.
    Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Once I eliminated these, and got healed up I could tolerate professional coloring.

Not saying this will work for you, but sometimes it is tough to find the true trigger with allergies.

Check out the TRUE test website for more info. My dermatologist did the test.

• judithn
    11 years ago

juliekcmo - good points. I wanted to mention too that there are salons that specialize in organic products that are supposedly preservative and PPD free. I've let my hair go silvery but the color is uneven. Sometimes, about once or twice a year, I like to have some highlights to even out my grey. They're lowlights I guess, since the hairdresser is actually adding dark brown to the silver bits. The hairdresser uses an organic product, it takes longer than non organic products but the results are the same. I don't have allergies but I don't want the exposure to any more chemicals than are absolutely necessary.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Fourkids, I understand what you are saying but I think that what I feel when I see an over weight fitness instructor is that it is not motivating. I am being realistic in that when I see a super fit instructor half my age of course I will never look like them. But, if a person who is teaching me can not get results, then how can I expect to get results. Hope I explained this as I don't mean to offend anyone.
    Another example. I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers. Some of the instructors there look a but over weight. But, WW has there range of what they think is a healthy range. I think we all have our opinions of what is over weight and what is acceptable.
    Yes we all come in different shapes and sizes, but to me if you are up in front of the room teaching fitness, you should look fit!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Thinness has to do with how much you eat, period.
    Tim McGraw is a good example of someone who was fit- very muscular- then lost 70 pounds. Whether or not you think he looks better now or then is just personal opinion but he was/is fit both ways.
    A sad example, but apt: there were no overweight people in concentration camps. If you consume less calories than you expend, you will lose weight regardless of your thyroid or whatever. Doesn't equal health across the board.
    The health debate continues, seems like one of the latest is that slightly overweight people- not obese, as per a bmi chart- live longer than thin people. They're probably happier!

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Ellendi, we obviously just have differing opinions. I don't care if the person teaching me can get results or not - we all have different body types so I'm not going to judge whether or not I will get results based on what the instructor looks like. For example, I know two sisters who teach a variety of classes, both strength training, cardio, etc. One of the women is incredibly fit - perfect figure, muscles are very well and obviously defined. Her shoulders are amazing. Her sister, OTOH, does not show muscle definition at all. She has a slight pouch at the belly (has had four kids) and while not overweight, to look at her, you wouldn't necessarily think, "Wow, she is in incredible shape" especially if you see the two women side by side. Yet the one who does not have the muscle definition, can lift a lot more weight than her sister. She also participates in several triathlons each year, placing in the top of her age group every time. Her sister, the one with the muscle definition, always says how much she hates shoulder exercises b/c her shoulders are not strong, but if you saw the muscle definition, you wouldn't believe it! I can lift as much as her if not more, and don't have nearly the attractive shoulders as she does.

I guess for me, I don't care what the instructor looks like - if he/she is motivating, knowledgeable about proper form, does a good job making sure the participants also have good form, etc, that's all I care about. Well, good music and a good personality help too. :)

And as a runner, I've learned that it doesn't matter if I'm a little bit overweight and flabby, I can still run 13 miles without stopping and at a pretty good pace, while my skinny next door neighbor can't make it two miles around the neighborhood without stopping. I know for me, when I first started thinking about doing more distance running, I heard some women I know (many of whom were at least 15-20 lbs overweight) talking about the 1/2 marathon they were training for. I thought, wow, if they can do it, so can I. That motivated me more than any thin and muscular runner I knew.

So if only the thin instructors work for you, then look for a gym that only hires those kind. But there are plenty of people out there who realize it's not necessarily realistic for them to think they will look like any of those instructors, most of whom put in an incredible amount of time working out. I'm talking at least 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. I think, if those overweight people can do it, so can I. That's more realistic to me.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

When I say fit, I do not mean ultra thin. And, it would not be a deal breaker nor is it how i look for a gym to join.
    I am just saying that me me, I am more motivated if I see a fit instructor in front of me. And I am being realistic, at my age I will never achieve the same look.
    But, I enjoy humoring myself that it could be possible. And if this motivcates me to go to more classes or do more, than so be it!

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

bumblebeez said:

"A sad example, but apt: there were no overweight people in concentration camps. If you consume less calories than you expend, you will lose weight regardless of your thyroid or whatever."

Really Bumblebeez!!! I find this to be totally inappropriate and highly offensive.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

Why is BB's comment considered inappropriate and offensive? She pointed out that thin/skinny doesn't always denote health and she's right.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

Bringing up concentration camp victims as an example is inappropriate in my opinion. I think it was a horrible example.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

It's only an example of what starvation is, Marlene.
    So, let's use the example of children in Africa. Is that better?
    Too many people say they can't lose weight because of________.
    Well, they could, but it's not popular, not eating as much and parallely, thin shouldn't be the goal. Good health should, for us who have the choice.
    Sometimes they go hand in hand, sometimes they don't.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

No Bumble, I don't think that's better. Comparing victims who have been starved and tortured or who are too poor to eat is not a good example, in my opinion.

With regard to a person who is not being held in a concentration camp or is starving because there is no food because of poverty, I do believe many people have conditions that make it very, very difficult to lose weight, even if they eat 1000 calories a day. I weigh about 112 and can eat 3000 calories (less about 600 calories burned off through exercise) and not gain an ounce. However, someone else could consume the same amount of calories and work out and gain weight. We are all different.

I need to edit this post because I did not address your comment that being healthy, not being thin, should be our goal. I agree 100% with that.

This post was edited by marlene_2007 on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 18:43

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

But that's the whole point Marlene. Ultimately, all people under all circumstances will lose weight if they don't eat much. And, thin isn't always healthy. I've known too many anorexics who were deceived as well as obese people who complained that they couldn't lose weight because of a medical problem. Both are tragic.

Well, we may have to disagree about this and it's making me stressed so I won't post anymore.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

How about we change the subject and talk about updating our eyeglasses? How long have most of us been wearing the same frames? In the past year or so, I noticed that frames were getting a little heavier and darker and the lenses were getting more narrow and square. I'd been wearing the same wireless metal frames in a rounded shape for 10 years. I've always had a hard time finding frames that look good on me, but I bought some of the new frames and wow! It helps take the focus off my graying hair and other signs of aging. Everyone loves them and I feel younger.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am ready for new frames -- i've been wearing the same frames for 6 yrs or so-- loved them when I got them but now I need an update. Should we start a new thread? This time of year is always a good time for a change!

Purple titanium cat eye frames from LA Eyeworks

• golddust
    11 years ago

I just purchased new glasses. My eyes are so bad for distance, my Optomologist declared me legally blind in one eye.I chose my glasses after being dilated, which renders me blind. Luckily Aimee came with me so she actually chose my new frames for me. I was helpless.

I like my new glasses. I am also grateful for having a health problem that is so easily fixable. It feels like a miracle every time I plop them on my face and jump in my car. I can see!!!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

My issues are with near vision. At 48, I suddenly need bifocals. I have become one of those people who lifts her glasses to read something right in front of her. I am already legally blind in one eye due to an extreme astigmatism that cannot be fully corrected.. this also prevents me from wearing any of those fun and funky reading glasses. :(

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I'm nearsighted and had to go into bifocals about 10 years ago. Fortunately, I took to progressive lenses really well.

I didn't have an eye doctor after moving so I read some reviews and found that Costco is highly rated for customer satisfaction. I got a thorough eye exam for $70 (the Costco optometrists are independent), progressive lenses for $130, and brand-name frames for $100. I also got a pair of prescription sunglasses. I think they sell discontinued frames, and they make their own lenses. Including cost of membership, I saved a few hundred dollars and am very happy with my glasses.