SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

I wish I was still a little girl ...

12 years ago

because I'd ask Santa to leave Calico Critters under the tree for me. Yes, they're probably made in China, and yes they come with a lot of little pieces, but I think they're just adorable! I can't quite get a grasp on what age group these are intended for (not sure if my niece, at 9, would be too old - although she did ask for a baby doll and a Barbie house for Christmas), but even approaching 50, I would play with them. ;-)

{{gwi:1526143}}
{{gwi:1526144}}

Comments (22)

• 12 years ago

How precious! I'll definitely check into them when my 14 mo. old grandaughter for her 2nd birthday.

I'm the one who bought her first American Girl Doll...Itty Bitty Baby.

I wanna be young too!

Still on topic, but when I was decorating the house today for Christmas, my plan was to do more of a subdued look, more golds, whites and silvers.

But I got to thinking about my little grandchildren when they come over. They need shiny greens! Reds! Santas all over the place!

Let's just say it will never make a decorating mag. :)

• 12 years ago

Jen, I forgot to say, I think your niece will be too old for them, unfortunately. Maybe not though, but ask her mom what she thinks.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: 4 young girls wish lists

Q

Comments (22)
    If they are still looking for seeds, please feel free to email me for my address. I would love to help them get more seeds that they are looking for or interested in. If you don't see something on my list, email me anyways as I have to update it. I have peppers, squash, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, green beans & yellow wax beans, pumpkins & garlic avail. If they want to trade too, let me know :)
    ...See More

I wish I knew what I was doing!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Glenda and Sarah, I guess what my fear is that it won't work, and I'll have to tell hubby that he needs to dig all that dirt out so I can make it into a regular pond! I guess I'd better start being nicer to him, in preparation. :) I personally wouldn't mind at all, having a marsh right off the deck. I just don't want it to smell like our septic field when it wasn't working right! I'll give it a while to balance itself. Sometimes I think the less we do, the more balanced it can be. We just have to be patient. I'm glad, in that respect, I don't insist on "perfection" in the modern world sense! I'm pretty into nature's perfection! I figure if the frogs live in it, it must be okay.
    ...See More

My Little Girl Is Still Here!

Q

Comments (3)
    Donna, your hummer haven is irrestible to them, giving them a comfortable pause in a long journey south. I had two females for the last week but haven't seen them this afternoon. Maybe your girls will pause for a few days here at my blooms and feeders. There are also Mesquite trees with thick soft leaves to sleep in at night. My regulars always sleep there, they give protection from the rain and wind. Send your girls to another safe haven here.
    ...See More

I love this little girl! (pic)

Q

Comments (7)
    I love all animals. Limitless love. She is a sweetie - you are blessed. Love the photo!
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago

Those are adorable! And a nice change from the awful Bratz dolls.

• 12 years ago

I like the ones dressed in animal...costumes? PJs? Whatever they are, they're cute.

Remember looking through the Sears Wish Book for hours on end? Don't know what made me think of it the other day, but one of my favorite gifts from "Santa" was my 3 Little Kiddle Locket dolls. Little mini dolls in the bejeweled, bubble locket. Did anyone else have those?

• 12 years ago

Those are really cute. Check out these "Lalaloopsy" dolls. Very popular with my 7 year old GD, they're cute too.

• 12 years ago

Oh what memories that brings back. My daughter was not interested in dolls, she never played with the Barbies that were given to her. But there was a TV show called Maple Town that she loved - it was a town inhabited by different animal families, the Bears family, the Mouse family, the Raccoon family etc. I bought her some of the little creatures and one or two of their homes and she played with them for hours.

She's 28 now and I still have them saved for the day she has children of her own.

Here is a link that might be useful: maple Town

• 12 years ago

Oh, how adorable! Now that's the kind of thing my DD used to find under the tree from Santa, but back then, I made the dollhouse for her from scratch and built the furniture from balsa wood and pine (still have the dollhouse in the attic somewhere). Now she's the age that if she asks for a toy, it's a grown-up video game. But....there's always hope of a DGD down the road...which will make her living in WI when I'm in VA even more difficult to bear, I fear. So hard to deal with an 'empty nest' sometimes, isn't it? Sorry, just veered this way off topic, Im afraid...my apologies.

• 12 years ago

Oh my!!!
    Those ARE pretty damn cute!
    My DD would've been ALL OVER those little guys!!

(ahem....I'll admit to buying something like that for myself at one point! Was kind of a Farmer-couple!)

On a similar note, at one point when DD was littler, we counted that she had almost 200 stuffed animals. SOME of them "MAY" have been bought by her Dad.
    Just sayin'....

Faron

• 12 years ago

My DD has a bunch of these. She's 10 now, almost 11. When she turned 10 I bought her the (ridiculously expensive) house, but by then her interest was waning. All kids are different, though. I knew another girl who loved her Calico Critters through middle school!

• 12 years ago

Jen, you have brought back some lovely memories for me. My daughter had some toys like these when she was about 6-7 yrs old. They were called Sylvanian Families and hers were a rabbit family.

We spent many an hour playing together with them. We used to make outlines of rooms with wooden toy blocks and make furniture and beds out of little boxes and remnants of fabric. All sorts of small plastic lids were used for vases, plates, lamps etc. It was a cheap and creative outlet.

I'm not sure who had more fun, her or me. LOL.

The ones you have shown are adorable. I especially love that little car! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Dee in Aus.

• 12 years ago

Too cute auntjen. I don't think they are targeted at toddlers who put things into their mouths. More of the age a bit younger than sueb posted. I could get lost in time playing with that stuff. How on earth did you find that? Being on the other side of 50 is of no matter, those are some really cute little animals and their costumes, adorable. Love the car the best tho.

I think there are too many little pieces for a small child, and an older, say around 5-6 yr. old little girl would be in heaven. Still young enough to enjoy everything and old enough to put the rooms together, move things where they think the items should go. Oh, I wish I had someone to share this with. No one I know has any kids or grandkids of the appropriate age;(

Thanks for sharing.

judiegal - they showed the lalaloopsy doll on a morning show yesterday. Really cute and much better than those "bratz" dolls which are horribly freakish looking IMHO.

• 12 years ago

Moonshadow: YES! Kiddles!

I don't feel comfortable posting it here, but one of my favorite photos of me when I was young is a picture my Dad took of me wearing a Kiddles locket around my neck. Many years later, of course I no longer had that Kiddles piece, so I went on the Internet and found one that was the same color, design, and put an enlargement of the photo in a shadowbox frame with the Kiddle in front of it. I just love seeing it.

To find the replacement Kiddle, I saw that there was a big Kiddles "fan club" trading community online. Remember the Kiddles that came in the "perfume bottles"? Bought a few of them just for the nostalgia, but then sold everything a couple of years later. When I looked at the online Kiddles stuff, I was amazed at everything the toy line included -- including books and maybe even a record?

And where is this time-travel ability we were all supposed to be having about now? I'd sure love to go back to that time, at least for a little while ...

• 12 years ago

very cute!! i would think the ideal age to start with these would be ~ 6 or 7?? 9 might be alittle old to just start buying them(they're probably pricey, so might take awhile to get a whole set), but it would really depend on the child i would think...

• 12 years ago

Auntjen, aren't you still a kid at heart? That's adorable and I just might have to get it for myself.....and GD can play w/it when she comes over to visit. You don't need a reason Jen, put it on your 'list'! ;o)

• 12 years ago

Busy, I think age 3 is the perfect age. That's when little one's imagination really starts and they like building and putting things together.

Patty, that's a great idea for your GD!

• 12 years ago

Haha! Yes, I should get a set for myself and just "keep it at my house" for when little ones come to visit. ;-D I keep going back and looking at it (first heard of Calico Critters on a morning news segment where they were featuring neat offerings from a local toy shop), and can so imagine spending hours playing with these when I was a child. I too had Liddle Kiddles, Flatsy Dolls (remember those?), and of course tons of Barbies and accessories. My niece, who is 9, might be a tad too old for the Calico Critters, although she does still play with her Littlest Pet Shop animals. I checked out the Lalaloopsy dolls and they too are very cute! The niece has asked for an American Girl doll for Christmas, and while they're adorable, they and their accessories are pretty high priced.

I remember the commercials for Sylvanian Families! I was older by the time they came out, but remember that they were quite cute too. The Calico Critters have sort of a Richard Scarry look about them, and I always loved his books. Maybe that's why they especially appeal to me.

• 12 years ago

oak...yes, i guess even 3 would be appropriate for some tykes... i had all boys who at 3 were for the most part playing rather physically and didn't have the interest level for sitting and playing with lots of little pieces!! they loved blocks, but would build and KNOCK down!! tinker toys were loved, but they would build and then sword fight etc, legos were used to make 'something' and then zoom around with it, etc, etc!! always filled with lots imagination tho!!
    a 'quiet young child' was an oxymoron in our family! sigh... lol

• 12 years ago

I have to confess that today I bought an American girl outfit and an accessory (blue snow suit and a dog sled) for DD because I want to play with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Sled

• 12 years ago

I remember playing with some of those things w/my kids! Loved the Fisher Price stuff too~~hospital, school, gas station~~my kids had them all, and i've bought vintage ones for my grandkids. Mom will keep them for her GK.

Way to go rucnmom!! Moms gotta play, too...and grandmoms! ;o)

• 12 years ago

I want these for my house and wish I had kids at home to justify the cost. Advent Elves from Garnet Hill.

• 12 years ago

Just an FYI on American Girl. My daughter's have them but most of the clothing and accessories for them are either from Target's My Generation line or Dollie and Me from Sears. Much less money.
    AJ- you should buy some anyway, even if your niece is a little old for them. I bet she would still play with them at your house if they were there.

• 12 years ago

We have these! They are great for older kids. They come with so many teeny accessories that would get lost/be hard to manipulate for little ones.

My friend who is in her late 30s and has no kids/no plans for kids LOVES THESE. I give her our CC house that we were not using (DD has a big wooden dollhouse and we just had no room). She is buying sets for herself but also just to have when her relatives come over.

Honestly, a lot of toys are wasted on children. Adults should be buying these!