SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

My New Granite..issues. Kevin? Granite Girl? Pix

gr8daygw
12 years ago

I just had my new granite put in last week. After they left I started to wipe it down and it was so rough I could hardly move my dish cloth over it. It was actually snagging my cloth and my hand!!! I googled "gritty granite" and found some good advice about how to help this notably using steel wool to polish it which I did for a couple of hours all around the kitchen and on the island. I also got out the whole house vac and vacuumed it as it felt so "dusty". Even after I completely cleaned it it still felt dusty. Hard to explain. The next day I went to HD and bought some polishing and cleaning supplies to try to polish it up a bit. That helps but then it goes back to feeling the same way when the polish dries. As days have gone by and I have done it everyday it feels much, much smoother but it doesn't seem as shiny as it should. It's a light color of granite and the saleslady told me that it is way more porous than dark granite and would feel rougher but this seems excessive. It is supposed to have a 15 year sealer on it but that is anyone's guess. How could you tell?

I wrote to the granite gurus and a nice girl, Stephanie says that it could be a couple of things such as it could be a B grade stone which they swear it isn't and I don't think it is by the looks of it otherwise OR it could be that since it was outside it could have UV sun damage to the resin which makes the resin sort of pop up on the ends in a crazing pattern. I would go with this other than the b grade option as it sort of hard to explain otherwise. So anyway, any suggestions as to how to make my new granite not look so dry? Bring back the shine? I have contacted my fabricator but the supplier went out of business on Jan. 1st so I have no recourse there. The fabricator has done what I ask them to do, it wasn't their fault. Luckily it is really beautiful and looks good in my kitchen. I'm a little dismayed. It is getting better and the granite guru girl told me that it would get better over time. It seemed almost to be shedding when I got it, the little tops of the stone variations in it seemed to be rough on the tips and shedding off. I am hoping she is right. Anyone else have this problem? BTW the seams are perfect and they did a great job with the templating and installation. I'm happy with the sink cutout etc. The second problem is that now that it's all in I'm feeling a little color deprived and might need to add some color in somehow. I love my neutrals but this may be even too neutral for me! Granite is Ivory Silk.

{{gwi:1589418}}
{{gwi:1589420}}{{gwi:1589421}}{{gwi:1589422}}
Yes they match!!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm