SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Is it safe to install induction cooktop into wood/Formica counter

marisany
14 years ago

I've also posted this question to the applicances forum.

I'm having some trouble figuring out which model I can use in my existing kitchen (see other thread). One issue that has come up is whether it is even safe to put an induction cooktop in a wood/Formica counter. GE's specs say that all "wallcoverings, countertop, and cabinets can withstand heat (up to 200degrees) generated by the cooktop."

I'm also having trouble interpreting the specifications/instructions. For one thing, it is not clear whether the side clearances are to a wall above the counter or the cabinet walls below. There are also inconsistencies - GE's installation instructions for their 30" cooktop say 2" side clearance to walls and 12" below; their "Quick Specs" say 1" side clearance and 5-1/8 below. I am about to call GE and see whether I can get any information out of them. I got nowhere with Kitchenaid; they only have agents who are incapable of doing anything beyond reading the instructions, and they said that they didn't provide access to any technical people who could answer my questions!

(Later) I've been on the phone to GE, and the person who I'm speaking with is very helpful. She is going to other sources to answer all my questions - quite a difference from the Kitchenaid drones. She could not answer the question about counter material, though; they only specify that the material must be able to withstand 200 degrees.

Comments (3)