SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disaster28

The beginning of the end??

Disaster28
10 years ago

Hello everyone! I just found this forum and it has been my new go to resource for our home reno.

Just some background info:

the house is a sidesplit from 1964 and we have gutted a whole lot up until this point and now I am eager to put everything back together!!
On the floorplan I attached all the walls painted with white have been removed and we now have a blank slate for the kitchen design. The black dot is a supporting post which can't be moved.

We are having two issues:
1) I have come to realize that kitchen layout is a science and an art!!! We are stressing over our layout and would like everyone's much valued opinion!! I will attached a rough drawing of what we currently have been suggested in the next post.

- Just some background on us.....our style is more transitional. The colour scheme for the open concept layout is grey based. We have a little girl (8 months) and are planning to eventually have a second. We need an island with seating for casual meals.

2) I am very much set on wood flooring throughout the main floor (inc kitchen). I am really in love with darker wood floors (we have tentatively picked superior's hickory molasses floors). I know all the cons of dark wood but had them before and can live with them.

The problem is both my husband and I are not convinced that a white kitchen will work for us. They look beautiful in pictures that I have seen but I would much prefer to have maple stained cabinets (in a medium - dark brown).....plus I am a VERY messy cook:). I am afraid that it just may be too dark. I am hoping that with the open concept, all the windows, the stainless steel appliances and light counter tops and backsplash that everything will balance out.

Since people here are very knowledgeable and experienced I would very much appreciate opinions on both layout and colours:)

Thank you everyone for any help!!

Comments (11)