SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seattle_rain

What would YOU do with this kitchen?

seattle_rain
14 years ago

Okay, we are purchasing a 1965 home with this kitchen. (This is the seller's furniture). We are pulling out the green carpet and vinyl kitchen floor before moving in and installing oak hardwoods to match the hardwoods in the rest of the house.

{{gwi:1588107}}

{{gwi:1588109}}{{gwi:1588111}}

Here's a pic of the hardwoods--the dining room is up at the top of the photo--that leads into the kitchen.

{{gwi:1588112}}

We are going to do a kitchen remodel, but we want to do it right so we're going to have to wait a couple of years. Luckily, those laminate cabinets and countertops are in pristine condition.

So what would you do to spruce it up to enjoy for the 2-3 years before the remodel? Right now it feels like an apartment kitchen to me.

We entertain a lot, so I want this to look nice, even though it's nothing fancy. Some ideas we've considered so we can make this "liveable" until we remodel, in addition to installing the hardwoods:

-Do nothing besides switch out that pendant light for something more modern and paint the walls a color we like.

-Install European bar pulls on the cabinet doors and drawers and replace the appliances with the s/s appliances we will be buying anyway for the remodel. Dh loves the appliance idea--he hates cooking on electric cooktops, so we'll be switching to gas with the remodel. And I found a good price on the door pulls, so that would be about $150...not bad. Or lipstick on a pig?

-Possibly paint the white cabinets a warmer color--I know you can paint laminate, I've just never seen how it looks when it's done. (I've painted cabinets before with success, so I'm aware of the amount of work. And I'd be willing to do it, if I thought it would make the kitchen look better for a couple of years).

What do you think? What would you do?

Comments (16)