SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

M.A.C. Cosmetics

User
14 years ago

Not exactly an earth-shattering question, but I am curious about how to pronounce this brand name! It appears to be an abbreviated form since there are periods in use, but does one say it as individual letters - "M.A.C.", or is it simply "Mac" - like a guy's name?

Inquiring minds wanna know ...

Comments (24)

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I call it Mac, but have an uncanny ability to misprounce many words, and jumble names.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I don't think I've ever said it out loud, but if I did, it would be Mac - all one word.

• polly929
    14 years ago

My SIL worked for them, it's MAC as a word, not individual letters.

• n2cookin
    14 years ago

I've never tried this makeup. Any opinions?

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I've always said "Mac".
    Don't wear a lot of makeup, but their creme blush and lipstick are staples for me! ;)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! "Mac" it is, then!

I've only tried their lipglass (tinted lip gloss), which I love.

• amylville
    14 years ago

I love MAC. I've used foundation, eyeshadow, blush, lipstick. Very high quality. Also, very helpful sales staff.

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I've been impressed with their products. Now if I could just make a bit of effort in the morning and put it on my face....

• User
    14 years ago

I love MAC also - it's pretty much the only make-up I ever buy. And I always called it "MAC" also.

• shaun
    14 years ago

It stands for Make-up Art Cosmetics. I use some of their products and really like them.

• User
    14 years ago

Love M.A.C. but also never knew the right way to say it!

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Another Mac fan here, especially their lipsticks and blushes. The Mac counter at our Macy's is usually manned by a guy in full make-up (he goes light on the mascara and lipstick) who is knowledgable, nice, and very cute.

Lately, however, I've been pretty much a Bare Minerals lady, lucky to have skin that likes this brand. Nothing has ever made my skin look as good as Bare Minerals, or Essentials, of Escentuals, or whatever it's calling itself.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Love MAC! I always look forward to my annual Spring or Fall splurge on myself there!

It's the only thing I wear anymore simply due to the fact that I don't buy a ton off makeup.

I get my stuff at the MAC store and if they are out of something they will call Nordstoms for me and have them hold it for me.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Lately I am having such a hard time finding eye shadow that is matte and hypoallergenic (it's the fragrance that gets me). I've found some out there, but color selection is narrow in matte. It's glitter here, shimmer there, sparkle sparkle everywhere! Fine on my younger nieces, don't consider it an enhancement for me. ;) My eyes are hazel with a lot of gold in them, certain colors play better with them than others. I just checked the MAC site and they have a pretty decent selection in matte.

Anyone here have experience with MAC's shadows?
    (They have some nice holiday kits I see, too!)

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

Yes, I have a few of their eye shadows, both matte and shimmer. I have a good medium-taupey-brown matte shadow that I use for daytime, because it's very natural. It's the best brown color I have ever found. I can put just a little on for real subtle color, or put on another "coat" and it's a bit darker.

I also love their lip conditioner -- colored lip gloss in a pot that isn't overly glossy or sticky. And they make the only lipsticks I've ever liked! I also agree that their salespeople are helpful.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I wear MAC shadows 99.9% of the time. I have both matte and shimmer. I also wear their cream eyeshadow. No problems even w/ my contacts. I just have basics that they've shown me how to combine to get fantastic day and evening looks w/ the same products. They have saved me TONS of money this way and it's so easy to get ready. I have a basic brown, basic, grey and a pale brown. I have a quad of greens that I break out for less grown-up events and a great brownish grey cream eyeshadow that is so natural looking but I can combine it w/ other stuff for great evening smokey eyes.

I only wear their lipstick. I find their Lip Glass to be thick and heavy but it stays put and as long as there is no kissing involved I'm fine w/ it. Would like to find something a little less 'thick' though.

I use 3 of their blushes which I like because I have a tendancy to get red and something on my cheeks from a lot of blushes as well as foundations which I've also used w/ great success.

They have a good recycling policy too.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

re:their recycling policy, I think you bring 5 old products and get something in return.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

A lipstick.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Running errands yesterday took me near Macys w/MAC counter. Without realizing it I suddenly found my car had navigated to the store. ;)

I scored some great shadow colors! They're satin (bit more color choices than strictly matte), but there's so little sparkle to them it's not an issue. It applies well and has a richer (quality) look and feel, like it's almost creamy instead of too powdery.

My eyes are tricky, more gold and light olive, minimal brown. Pitch black lashes and brows. Sort of a warm/cool thing going on. But if I wear earthy colors like true browns or anything smoky in the crease area, looks like I got in a brawl and lost, lol.

The girl there was very helpful, and I came away with suggestions that worked for my eyes rather than the more common 'oh, this is the latest trend, you'll love it'. She nudged me to try a lid color I normally would have passed right on by, but once on it was a nice color. Everything blends well together, great for everyday soft and subtle look (my preference).

What I noticed about their shadow is what sueb said. A little more gets more intensity of color, rather than looking like a heavy powder pile-on.

Nice to know the recycle policy.

While I'm thinking of it, has anyone tried the trick of adding a few drops of rubbing alcohol to crumbled eye shadow to get it to pressed powder again? I have a great Smashbox freebie I dropped awhile back, it broke into chunks. Otherwise I guess it's finish it off altogether by grinding it to fine powder, then put it in a jar. ;)

• ttodd
    14 years ago

MAC layers into a heavier color soooo nicely! I used to tend to wear alot of black and grey eyeshadow when I went out and when I wanted to try something new but still heavy the girl showed me a great grey/ brown (more brown) cream shadow that on it's own is very sheer.

She layered a grey/ brown powder shadow (more grey) on top and it was so smokey but subtle. Then I layer my brown shadow and get a whole other look.

The nice thing is that I can wear each one seperately for daytime and look very natural.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I am liking the Studio foundation I got there last month, even though I usually like a more matte finish. Last week, I put on some Estee Lauder Double Wear, which is very matte, and DD asked me if that was different.......I told her yes, and she said she thought so because I didn't have the fresher dewier look she liked on me in the M.A.C. Studio Sculpt foundation. One thing I thought was a problem...I still put on a little of my very heavy Boots foundation on the places of my face that need more blending---before I put on the M.A.C. But DD said that was ok, because "who puts on foundation without a little concealer anyway, so that's your concealer!" Makes sense. Dumb kid.

And love the lipstick. Want to try the eyeshadow. Maybe this week? Sueb, what's your brown shadow?

And funny about calling it mac or letters. Around here, everyone talks about the "Mac counter at Macy's" so I never had to think about it. But I just found out from my DH that you are supposed to say H.V.A.C. and not "HVac" like I've been doing. Who knew?

Red

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Re the recycling policy - can someone be a bit more specific? Can you bring in any 5 old products - any brand - and trade them in? Because lemme tell ya, I've got a "tried this, hated it" drawer full of semi-used stuff that I'd love to trade in for something I actually like.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I'll see your drawer and raise you half a vanity cab, aj ;)
    That stuff has got to go!
    Lot 'o money it in, too. :/

The eyeshadow is impressive! Held all day, last night when I was going to take a shower it was as fresh as when I put it on. But the kohl pencil smudged. It's my eyes tho. They are more small wider cat-like that big rounded doe-like, and it's really hard to find a pencil that doesn't end up smearing. In fact only two I've found don't smear for me, an Almay and Estee Lauder.

Has anyone encountered that with M.A.C.'s kohl pencils, or is it just my eyes? Maybe they have a different pencil that would work better? I just line at my lashes, outer half, not much.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Re the recycling: It's MAC cosmetics only and if I recall it's any empty product. I forget if it's 6 or 10 products? Maybe another #? Then you get a free lipstick.

The only 3 shadows I ever use anymore now are all by MAC:

Soba - the perfect fawn brown
    French Grey - grey/brown
    Shroom - fleshy color

My cream shadow is called Root - it's discontinued.

Oh - and the quad of 4 greens that I wear sometimes from a brown/ green to a parrot gren for fun.

I own 3 blushes (all MAC):

Spice - just as it sounds
    Cubic - rose color
    Swoon - a bright melon pink for fun and sun

I have a bunch of MAC lipsticks and 1 MAC lip pencil that goes w/ everything.

I used to wear their Stu dio compact foundation but haven't really shopped around since I went to a sheerer foundation.

I haven't tried their eyeliners since I still have my big fat black one from CVS that's perfect.

Haven't tried their eyeliners.