SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

What kind of backsplash?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

I told the builder (modular) to leave off the backsplash because I liked just painted walls - he put a back splash with no side splash on the bathroom vanity, and left it off in the kitchen but didn't scribe the laminate countertop to the walls. Pretty big gaps, didn't just want to fill in with caulk and paint. Plus I've got a crack that keeps coming back under the window (over the window too, but what can I do?). Since I have plugmold running the length of my island (a 60" vanity) and have to hide the gap there, I was thinking of doing something similar along the perimeter cabinets. The sides of the island (3" taller and deeper than the center) will have oak stained to match the side cabinets, routed to an edge to match the edge of the corner cabinets. Here is a picture of oak (scrap filler left over) in front of the plugmold, as well as a picture of unfinished pine shoemold I'm putting on baseboards, it's the right height (1/2") but not sure if it will stain up right. Trailrunner suggested doing the island "backsplash" to match the counter, but I'm not sure I can get a 1/2" x 60" laminate backsplash installed inexpensively, since the countertops were fabricated last year before we knew exactly how high plugmold was going, and I have no remnants. The electrician actually put it a little lower than I wanted, but we couldn't get schedules to mesh and he ended up installing it after the countertops were in.

{{gwi:1575995}}

{{gwi:1587481}}

{{gwi:1575996}}

And here is a picture of the 1/2" pine (plus scrap marble I was thinking of if we do marble tile?) near the range - trailrunner suggested just painting it the same as the wall? Or would oak look better?

{{gwi:1587482}}

Finally, a picture of the range area - I want to put a nice tile (trivet? hang on wall) or other artwork I can clean over the range, but haven't found anything I like yet, esp. with the stainless. I was also thinking of taking off the galley rail since I think it's only held on with tiny brads, I specified no rail when I ordered the hood but they installed it anyway - it's just a dust catcher.

{{gwi:1587483}}

Thanks! I can't wait to make my plain old "builder's kitchen" into something unique (adding filler pieces over fridge when we put the oak on the island, and eventually crown molding at tops of cabinets)!

(please excuse the art supplies and crumb on the island, and the splatters on/near the stove - I didn't see them before I took the picture. I always splatter when I make spaghetti!)

Comments (3)