SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Are we crazy? Potentially MAJOR downsizing

deegw
13 years ago

Old house - 3500 square foot almost McMansion, 3 car garage, laundry room closet, walk in pantry, 2 coat closets, 1 linen closet, 3 regular walk in closets, 1 huge walk in closet, 2 folding door closets, 2 walk in attic spaces and a pull down attic. That's a total of 11 closets plus walk in attic space.

House we just put an offer on - 1950's cottage, 2000 square feet of weird layout, no garage, no pantry, 3 small bedroom closets, tiny attic space.

Why we put an offer on it - it has an inground pool, it's surrounded by screened porches and it's three houses from THE BEACH!

We've already decluttered and sold the old house and our things are in storage. Because of our arrangement with the storage facility, I have no ability to go into the storage facility and pick and choose what to move. Last night I thought about the mechanics of moving into the smaller house and I panicked.

Has anyone done a major downsizing and regretted it? We (6'3" hubby and two tall teen daughters) are currently living in a small rental so I'm not worried about the personal issues of the loss of space. On the flip side, we know our current situation is temporary so I wonder if we are all just "sucking it up."? Nothing is written in stone yet so we have plenty of opportunity to back out of the sale. I'm wondering if I am being practical or having a case of buyer's remorse?

Comments (24)