SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

How I Started Planning for My Kitchen

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

Because of Twinkletoes, I thought I'd start a post about how I started my planning. Maybe it will be useful to someone else who is just getting started. I've been working on this for almost a year and will, I hope, be ordering my materials for our DIY kitchen remodel in the next three weeks.

I went into the different kitchen showrooms (HD, Lowe*s, local dealers) and played with their cabinets, opening and closing doors and drawers, fiddling with various extras like the trash pull-outs and plate racks and wine racks.

On many of the display cabinets, I found that the plate and wine racks come loose quickly. No, I didn't deliberately break anything, but I wanted to see if they were installed well and, in my opinion, they weren't. Staples are NOT my first choice of fastener and most of those racks feel like they are made of balsa wood... you know, the stuff we had little wooden airplanes made from as kids? (I probably just dated myself badly there!)

Anyway, I spent time in some of the display layouts measuring the heights of the counters, cabinets and sinks. Since I'm five foot eight, I wanted to make sure I got a good countertop height for me.

I also opened and closed doors on cabinets as if I were cooking. Open the door, get out the oil, carry it to the stove, put it back. That's how I figured out what layout worked best in my kitchen. I discovered that the cute little drawers beside the stove are useless for me.

I found it really interesting that not one kitchen salesperson had a problem with me doing this. The guy at Lowe*s was a ton of fun, too. He walked through the kitchens in his store with me and pointed out all of the extras, helping me to determine if any of them were right for me. He also gave me quite a few countertop samples for me to use to determine whether they would stand up to our most common spills.

I've also read every thread on this kitchen forum and looked through the gallery to figure out what my taste is as far as cabinets and granite. I really love the look of the Something's Gotta Give kitchen, although I'm leaning towards a brown countertop more than black. However, looking at other people's kitchens has shown me that most kitchens turn out beautiful, even if they aren't my style.

I learned about Never MT and a host of other nice things here. Then I took those ideas and started drawing up plans for my new kitchen.

When I went to the kitchen designer last week, he was totally floored that I know exactly what I want and what I don't want. Doing all of the above has helped me decide what is important to me and what I can live without.

Hopefully, I'll be posting finished pics quickly.

Comments (9)