SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Stocking stuffers for DH

Sueb20
12 years ago

I was looking through the "new or favorite things" list but most of the items are for women. DH and I are just doing stockings for each other this year (we're buying an expensive piece of furniture as a joint gift). I never have good ideas for him. For me, it's easy -- a couple of jewelry pieces, some hand cream, etc., he usually comes up with good stuff. Have you come up with good ideas for your DH's stocking? He likes Jack Black shave cream, so I usually get that. Other than that, I'm kind of stuck. Possibly a Swiss army knife, because he spent a lot of time looking at them when we were in Switzerland but never actually bought one (and I do realize it seems kind of dumb to then come home and buy one!). He doesn't golf or run or do woodworking... not really a hobby guy. Any ideas?

Comments (30)

• judiegal6
    12 years ago

We always do stockings for each other and my 6 DD's. We end up with a stocking and a giant gift bag filled with, underwear,socks, gloves, razor blades, dark chocolate, shampoo, cologne, small tool (the swiss army knife sounds perfect)snow scraper, windshield fluid, etc. My DH is a builder, only watches soccer on tv, doesnt wear jewelry and has every large tool he would ever need. He seems to enjoy all the little necessities in his stocking.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Fisher Space Pen...writes at all angles...guys love them.

• Related Discussions

Odd Stocking Stuffer Ideas???

Q

Comments (5)
    What I did last year, because I just ran out of ideals for my DH Stocking. He is into tools and is a Tech by trade. So my son and I when down the isle at walmart that has screws and nuts and bolts, small screw drivers ect... and we set a budget of 10.00. Then we shopped for little items we knew would fit in the sock. When we reached our budget we stopped shopping. It wouldn't all fit in the sock. You could do this with Fishings, automotive, even Candy. There is always the Dollar store too that you could find some really different things in. Happy Holidays Hope this helps Sherry
    ...See More

I need help! Free stocking stuffers!

Q

Comments (111)
    Mine arrived yesterday in great shape! I can't wait to watch! I've got two weeks off work beginning the 20th! Virtual Dinner sounds good! Thanks again for your generosity. It's beginning to sound like the roar that began with a ripple in "Pay it Forward" acts of kindness. What a wonderful, uplifting thing especially this time of year! The true, giving spirit of Christmas. Deanna
    ...See More

Stocking Stuffer ideas

Q

Comments (14)
    Hot Hands/Feet (little icepack looking things that emit heat) Small packs of flavored coffee (enough for 1 pot) Flavored hot coco magazine about something they enjoy/pocket sz puzzle books found near the register of many stores sm lego kits of Santa, knight/dragon/katapult (around $3) sillypuddy, yoyo's, marbles whatever looks fun/remember this Hot Wheel/Matchbox car of their Dream Car of the year When they are at home they get something like a juice box and wrapped pastry/poptart sticking out of the top (this was tradition after the youngest was about 6, they were allowed to have their stocking without getting the adults up, breakfast was included!)If I am mailing the stockings I skip the "juicebox" Ellie
    ...See More

OBF Christmas Stocking Stuffer Swap

Q

Comments (247)
    Thank you so much Tammy for the wonderful gifts I received wine glass, candy canes, cookie cutter, cute card and owl ornament, instructions for winter seed growing. I especially appreciate all of your cute sayings and printouts on each package, that really took quite a bit of time, I really loved the little seed envelope that you made yourself with the 3 different seeds inside that was great. Thank you for taking the time to make the swap so special. Thank you! Kim
    ...See More
  • kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

We stick mostly to snacks in our stockings here, traditional nuts and clementines. I usually put in a couple of spices from penzeys, my hubby likes pocky (a Japanese cookie stick), interesting or gourmet coffee beans, things he liked when he was a kid like teaberry gum, Scottish shortbread..

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Gift card for Maui FS?!??!?

;-)

Faron
    (you KNOW that'll work...!)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

One of those mini Leatherman keychain things. It's kind of like a Swiss Army knife, but my DH likes it better. He gets a new one about every other year because he manages to bend/wear out/etc. parts of it in about that time.

Fancy nuts! DH is a nut freak, but they are so pricy we don't have them all the time.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I bought new earbuds and cell phone case for hubby's stocking just last week (first Christmas shopping this year LOL).

Does he like to read or any particular magazines? I've put a gift card for a magazine subscription in hubby's stock a few times. Last year I did an I-tunes card.

I'm off to check out that space pen mentioned!

tina

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

I plan to get DH a gift cert for a good car wash. It is not generally in the budget, so it will be a treat for him.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Cobbler in a jar! I bought a jar for all the men in the family. But you can make your own.

These are kind of large, easily two helpings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobbler in a Jar

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

If your DH would love a SAK, then include that.

If he's a wine drinker and you don't already have one, how about a Laguiole Corkscrew. Fits nicely in a stocking and so worth the splurge, especially if he happens to be a gadget guy? If his stocking is big enough, include a nice bottle of wine to share over the holidays. Have done the mag subscription, cuff links.

The most popular items are the ones I've found off the beaten track, unusual funny, or quirky. Does he collect anything? A pair of tickets to a sporting event he would enjoy?

We only do stockings, so I know how hard it is find interesting gifts that will fit.

It's tough with the men. My own DH's birthday is the week before Christmas so I'll be following this thread closely .

• deegw
    12 years ago

As mentioned above, I get my husband his favorite snack - a big can of whole cashews. They are a treat that I can't get too often because he inhales them. He loves coffee so I'll buy a bag that is a couple steps up from our daily brand. He enjoys cycling so I go to the bookstore and splurge on some fancy European cycling magazines.

Off to look for a leatherman tool.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

In my husband's stocking he's gotten: CDs (music kind), books on tape, ties, flashlights, handkerchiefs, socks,candy, hats, gloves,and scarves. If my stocking run is to CVS, he gets a new toothbrush, dental floss, pens and maybe a bottle of Motrin. LOL If I think about it in advance, I like to get inexpensive gadgets from the hardware store or from websites like these;
    http://www.starcrest.com/home.do
    http://www.shophometrends.com/
    I like tishtosham's idea of getting a detailed cleaning at the car wash.
    I asked for one of those label makers one Christmas. They're kind of addictive and you want to organize and label everything.

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

Fun2BHere, Thanks for the heads up on the space pen. From Canada no less. For once I won't have to pay the high price of shipping from the States. Can't believe I've never heard of it!

• OrchidOCD
    12 years ago

I've stuffed my DH's stocking with video games, movies, music, gift cards, little gadgets like pedometers, light meters, USB flash cards and small tech devices, etc. He always gets lottery tickets for all the family stockings (most we've ever won was $50, but we're not gamblers so the fun is in the unusual activity of actually playing the lottery), and my stocking usually has gift cards, small tools (I'm the DIY freak in the family), and more small tech devices. DD's stocking always has this year's US Mint run of coins in a plastic case, and yet more gift cards, gadgets, etc. All in all, I'd guess DH likes the candy best, because I strictly limit candy in the house the rest of the year!

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

My grandfather was an engineer with NASA, so that's how I became aware of the pen many years ago. Here's a Youtube video link that explains the technology and mechanics behind the pen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

• vickij
    12 years ago

I like this thread. I bought grilling lessons for my newly retired husband. Figure I might as well get him to start sharing the kitchen duties.

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

If he is handy, harbor freight has a knock-off of the Fein Multimaster for about $25. If you took it out of the box, it would fit in a stocking. I got one in my stocking last year and I love, love, love it.

This year my Hubby will be getting some of natal's chipotle honey roasted pecans in the toe of the stocking!

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

A small handheld electronic game? (Solitaire, poker, Scrabble, etc. -- do they make an electronic Scrabble?)

The car wash gift certificate is a good idea!

Or... how about a gift certificate for something a bit more, um, personal? For a back or foot massage, not at a spa-kind of place, but by you!

I also wouldn't rule out hand cream -- some guys want to have softer hands! Just not lavender-scented ones!

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

work, which Laguione Corkscrew did you get? I looked at a website that sold a number of them, and then looked at youtube to see it in action, and am really interested in buying one-for me! LOL!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found another one in a separate thread by Natal. Desk calendar from Shutterfly! Just went on last night and made DH a calendar with photos from our vacations this year.

Also ordered a Swiss army knife and going to look at the space pen. Sitting at home with a nasty cold so I'm getting lots of online Christmas shopping done this week.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

These AppleCore cord managers are literally one of my favorite finds this year. The smallest ones are great for earbuds (that tangle >:( ). I've used them on the cordless phone base, all-in-one, modem, etc. LOVE them.

Here is a link that might be useful: cord managers

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

A small handheld electronic game? (Solitaire, poker, Scrabble, etc. -- do they make an electronic Scrabble?)

Smart phones have made individual hand held games kind of obsolete. There are a couple of different scrabble type games that can be played on them with friends or random opponents, in addition to many other games, like suduko, hangman, Bejeweled, etc.

• User
    12 years ago

How about a gift card for a new Bread book to go with the machine?

This year I plan on making at least one of my stocking stuffer's. With that thought in mind....

Does he have a digital photo frame? If so maybe you can compile some new pictures of the family or from a special event for it?

Create a cd of his favorite songs or songs that mean something to the both of you.

"Date in a Box" with Movie passes and gift card for his favorite restaurant. (There are some cute tin boxes that you can make it with in at Joannes.)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

luk, good idea on the book -- already bought one!

He has a digital photo frame which is sitting in a cabinet because it annoyed us both (I know, weird). All music is on iPods here. But I love the date box idea! Very cute.

I like the car wash idea too. He bought himself a coupon book for the local car wash a while back, but he probably needs another one by now.

Gift cards are not the greatest idea for him because he rarely ends up using them. This man hates to shop, so usually if someone gives him a gift card, he just passes it along to me!

I'm going away this weekend with girlfriends, some shopping included, so I hope to find a few things then.

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

We don't do stockings, but do wrap several small presents to open on Christmas morning. Here are a few ideas:

Anything from Cherry Republic (their cherry salsa and dark chocolate cherries are the best.) Haribo licorice. Sizzling cinnamon Jelly Bellies. His very own bottle of green Tabasco sauce. A travel cup with lid from Tervis Tumblers. A minor emergencies kit for the office: travel sizes of Shout stain wipes, Tylenol, Pepto-Bismol, breath mints and a little sewing kit. A small travel case for a single necktie, complete with tie (for when the stain wipe is not sufficient and he has a late meeting.) Monogrammed playing cards. Cufflinks. Collar stays (you can find really nice ones as well as disposable versions.) Car charger for his cell phone. Engraved flash drive.

I need to get shopping - usually I'm done well before Thanksgiving, but not this year.

• Jane_the_Renovator
    12 years ago

Does your DH do the holiday lights? A few years ago individual light bulb testers for Christmas tree light strands were a BIG hit.

Also, the USPS has a lot of really attractive stamps out: Pixar, U.S. merchant marine, the Civil War. You can order directly from their website. Check out the Civil War sheets--they're gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas tree light bulb tester

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

olliesmom - I've attached a link to the style I have. Mine was a stocking stuffer many years ago from DH. This style appears to be unavailable on the linked site. The difference I noticed at a glance is that some of the other styles don't have a bottle opener. If you entertain and like to serve other spirits (like bottled beer), it is nice to only need one tool on the bar.

Also, cautionary tale - I usually take mine along with our wine when we go to a "bring your own" type restaurant. I've had to remind more than one waiter that he inadvertently slipped my opener into his pocket. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Laguiole - French Wine Bottle Opener

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

D*mn, that is one nice (and expensive) bottle opener! Just something to add to my "when I win the lottery" wish list. I only use waiter's corkscrews, and occasionally wish that I carried one in my purse with me. Last night was a meeting of my book club, and the hostess for the evening is not much of a wine drinker (actually asked if the bottle that she opened the last time we met at her house 9 months ago would still be okay to drink) She asked me to open the new bottle of wine she had bought. I really wished I had my handy dandy waiter's corkscrew with me! I did manage to muddle through with the one that she had.

• User
    12 years ago

Sorry, didn't see that Sue but the calender is a great idea! A couple of years ago I made leather books for each of my sisters with family photos of our late Dad and used Shutterfly. They did a great job, you won't be disappointed.

This is a really good thread, lots of nice ideas.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I am definitely loving the Shutterfly ideas. Very timely as the Shutterfly Holiday Savings catalog just arrived. I've never done anything with them before, but can't wait to do a few calendars and probably my holiday cards if I can get my boys to cooperate. Also, there' are 2 $10 off plus free shipping coupons on the front of the catalog. Hopefully it is as easy as the catalog suggests. There are some really great creative gift possibilities.

So many creative ideas!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I usually make DH one of those Shutterfly photo books every Christmas with our best pics from the year. I made one for my DD when she "graduated" from elementary school last year, too. Made a small one for each family member from a family reunion a couple years ago, too. They're so great!